450 hk450gt-feathering shaft/blade grip too much play.

MD530F

just wondering with my 450, there is excessive play in the blade movement ie, holding one blade still the other can be moved at least 2 inches all around and this isnt the blade moving in the grip, now my real question is, is this most likely because the actual blade grips are damaged or the feathering shaft is a slight to long and i could put some more tiny washers on the outer side of the thrust bearings, or is it the actaul head part, i know people describe it as butter steel/alloy but as i couldnt remember how much play it used to have i thought people may have experiance this or confirm it is the blade grips. i have them bolts into the feathering shaft well locktighted as i am worried the blades might come off but i will be able to get them undone. hopefully i have provided eunough accurate information for people to understand my situation, if anyone could provide some knowledge/ideas it would be very much appreciated, thanks doug

Tony

Staff member
This could be anything from a bad grip to a bad shaft. A video would help a lot to narrow this down, but I would take the head apart and roll the feathering shaft on some glass. Any slight wobble on the glass and you need to replace it. You should not have any play in the grips over what you would have with bearing clearences, which is about 1/16" at the blade tips. Just take it apart and check everything and make sure everything is put in the correct spot.

MD530F

ok yeh thanks for that, sorry i forgot to mention have had it apart numerous times, new straight feathering shaft, ok try put up a video to show you what i mean, thanks

Tony

Staff member
Was finally able to watch teh video and yes, that is WAY too much play. There is something wrong with that setup. Are you sure you have your thrust washers on correctly? There is one with a small inner hole, and one with a larger inner hole for each side. The smaller hole should go to the outside. Also, are you sure your bolts are tight? There is a lot of movement in and out. YOu may want to check into getting some Align Dampers for the head. Not only will they poke out a little to help stabilize the head, but they will provide better blade tracking as well.

I would almost suggest getting a pair of Align blade grips, bearings, thrust bearings, and feathering shaft just to make everything that has play on yours now Align.

Adam

i put tru blood dampners in mine and they tightened everything up and as tony stated about the thrust washers I've done that one lol

Lee

Check you have all the bearings in the correct order.
From head to blade.
1) Radial bearing (inside of grip)
2) Radial bearing (outside of grip)
3) Spacer washer (if necessary to take out lateral slop)
4)Thrust bearing
5)Washer
6)Bolt
If these are all there and in the right place, then there should be no play laterally. If you then have vertical play, you need to check the dampeners are holding the feather shaft solid. Check for damage. Make sure they are seated correctly in the head.
Let us know how it goes.
Lee

MD530F

ok thanks for all that yes im sure the thrust washers/bearing are in the correct order according to one of tonys videos and the end bolts are tight, but i will open it up again this weekend but i still suspect the blade grips?, but maybe the whole washer setup is damaged,but i will look into getting a full align head or read more into the dampners, thanks for everyones input,

Tony

Staff member
I have actually thought about this issue since I posted. When you pull it back apart, make sure the bearings are somewhat tight on the feathering shaft (remove them from the grips). They should have almost no play between the inner race and the shaft. then do the same check with the outter race and the grips. There should be very little to no play in them. Good luck, can't wait to hear what the issue WAS and see this bird back in the air.

Top Bottom