HK SUCKS!!!

Stambo

That's very helpful without specifics.
I have made multiple purchases from HK (we are talking 1000s of dollars) and although I have had the odd failure, the difference in price between HK and local means that these small losses are acceptable.
When you buy from any overseas vendor there are risks, warranty claims are often not worth the cost of overseas postage.
This is something I accept when I purchase from HK.
Having said that, the money I have saved by taking this risk is far in excess of what I would have spent buying the parts locally.
I will continue to use HK and other overseas dealers for these reasons.
Here in New Zealand I can order from my LHS and wait for a week or more for stock, or I can order from overseas, wait for 3 or 4 weeks and pay a third of the price.
As far as I am concerned, I can wait.

RandyDSok

Ok... I"ll bite then...

HK sucks because of the sub-quality of most of the products they carry as well as the number of fake/clone products they carry. If you want something to work as you'd expect it.... pay a bit more and get it from a reputable dealer that carries/makes quality products.

The only things I'd consider purchasing from them are inconsequential items... hook and loop ( ie velcro ), nuts and screws... certain types of connectors but not high amp electrical types, some wiring... and similar items. I won't buy batteries, servo's, aircraft of any type or anything similar that I want/expect a good result from

Walt

I ordered two lipos 3/18/14 from the US warehouse in stock. They took my money and Im still waiting. You can not call them and they have a F rating with the BBB. I Have sent them request after request and they tell me they understand my frustration. This is the second time they ripped me off and Im done with them.
I would rather pay more for better service.

SIXFOOTER

Hmm, I got to go with Stambo on this one. I have spent quite a bit with HK and so far the only thing that didn't work is the Turnagy Mega tester.
Had a box crushed a bit but that could have been on the mail truck between the post office and my house.
The larger items are mainly what I would buy from them, motors, ESC's kits and the like, only way I would buy screws or velcro is to fill a box or other stuff.
All the electrical stuff I have bought is the same as I can get at the LHS.

Derek

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with HK, Walt! You aren't the only one that has had a bad experience with them. It's stories like yours that just blow my mind because I have nearly 50 purchases from Hobby King (both the International Warehouse and the US Warehouse) and I have yet to have a bad experience or a faulty part. I love the battery prices and, so far, I'm still using the same 3S 2200mah lipo's that I bought two years ago.

I hope you can find a supplier that works out for you.

Barge

I would never by a clone heli, flight controller etc, but I have over 20 purchases from HK from Sydney and Honk Kong and never had a problem with receiving my order. The Turnigy batteries have run side by side to Gens Ace in my Hex and I can't separate them in any way. I'm selective what I buy and it has worked out fine.

I sorry to hear people are having problems.

pvolcko

I've bought things from them, US and international. International took 2+ weeks, but all arrived as expected. I have yet to test the components, though. US warehouse I've had no issues to date with shipping or defective products.

That said, I've now bought three OrangeRx 9ch DSM2 receivers. Two from one supplier on EBay in the US (only HK option was out of stock international) and one from another supplier on EBay. First two both had bind issues. 1st one after a week of working as expected, it started losing bind, and the the last day before I sent it back for replacement it wouldn't enter bind mode at all and no LED came on when powered up. Second unit I ordered (before sending the 1st back) powered up in bind mode. I wasn't ready to bind so I powered it down. A few minutes later when I was ready to bind up, the LED came on solid with the bind plug in and I can not get it to enter flashing/bind mode now. I ordered another (3rd) from a second vender to see if his stock is any better. Waiting on it and the replacement for the 1st still.

In the mean time, I found a Spektrum AR7000 on Ebay and grabbed it. Plugged a sat into it. Bound up no problems, works, no problems. Only problem is it is 7ch and I need 8 for the application I'm using it on.

So I'm $130+ into receivers for a project that is a throwaway mod to my 350QX, thus the reason I was buying OrangeRx crap to begin with. I'd use DSMX recievers, but I need DSM2 in order to be able to dual bind with the 350QX properly.

I don't know what OrangeRx's affiliation with HK is except they appear to be a sole distributor for OrangeRx wares. So perhaps this isn't a knock on HK so much as OrangeRx.

I've also had bad luck with the 5000mah 6s nanotech turnigy batteries. Don't seem to hold up. End up voltage sagging way early in their supposedly useful life compared to my standard turnigies, pulse, and glaciers.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Ill be honest on this I have made only 4 purchases in total. The first was for 2 new 1.5mm hex drivers, hobby king life pack for the th9x, and a back light kit for the th9x; the second was for the frSky module and rx and the fourth I got the zyx-s gyro and blue tooth adapter.

One issue (which is minor and you'll see why) is that when I place my first order I was in South Korea doing Army stuff. Well they don't ship to APO/FPO addresses which meant I had to ship it home then my wife had to ship it to me. Big hassle but to be expected since they are in Hong Kong.

All the other stuff came in like it should albeit the one delayed package. I have never had to deal with their Customer service so I can't talk about it.

When I built my first heli (some may remember this) I got the EXI Pro from XHeli. I ordered that thing in early December and did not get it till February sometime. I had the worst experience using them. Whats funny is I had a great experience with Hobbypartz, same company; crazy I know. Long story short on that I had many conversations over chat and email about that one order.

Just my 2 cents without getting long winded. Personally I have been using local (USA) vendors for most of my needs. In fact I found a couple of new vendors that might have my business.

-----------TRIED TO DOUBLE POST AND STOPPED IT ----------------

Last edited:

Graham Lawrie

I have bought a few things, frustrating bit for me has been they send most of the bits i ordered from abroad even when purchased from UK store.
That said all the batteries i have bought have been great:)

Top Bottom