450 Hk 450 tipping to one side

jerbacca

Hi, im nearly finished building my hk 450 v2 and tried to fly it today. Just as I get past mid stick and my heli is about to hover, I notice that the heli begins to tip to the left side.
I immediately reduce throttle fearing that my blades will cut into the ground. So im trying to figure out where this problem is coming from, I'm assuming that my swash plates arent as level as they seem.

Tony

Staff member
First things first, try to level your swash the best you can. I always did it by eye, then did final tweeking in the air. But, and this is a big but, ALL CCPM helicopter will go to the left on take off. If you watch my 600 maiden video, you will see that the helicopter is always leaning to the right. This is to counter the air being pushed out by the tail rotor. If this is your first heli, put some training gear on it, and give it another go. If you wish, you can add a few clicks of right trim into the swash to help counter it. But, once you get into the air, it will more than likely start to drift right if you went too far. Just remember to give a little right cyclic on takeoff to counter the left movement. And, once you know it's going to lift off, give it a little pitch pump to get it up into the air. This will further reduce the amount of movement to the left that the helicopter will have.

Lee

What Tony said :D You always need right cyclic on take off to counter the left drift. Its a natural heli thing :)

jerbacca

Well I was able to counter the heli drifting to the left and hover it, but I had some problems landing it. I had my throttle all the way down, but I still had a lot of head speed and the heli begun to tip
forward and I end up snapping one blade (totally my fault). Hopefully that was the only damage to my heli. I called up my LHS and they unfortunately didn't carry blades for a trex 450 =(. Im forced to order a few pairs
of blades from HobbyKing and wont be able to fly for a week. I guess I really need them training gears.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Don't why the blades were still spinning on zero throttle, check your trim tabs.,, and your throttle curve just to be sure.. Use throttle cut when settled on the ground... It helps..

Blades: HK ones are good, but I prefer hobbypartz ones personally. Fibre glass ones are 3bucks and carbon fibre (which I have read are better than align) are 6. If you live in the US, I would say get those, they ship faster too and order a bunch of them. This is going to sound crazy, but I have 11 pairs of 450 blades now. Anything happens, they are the first things that take the hit. Atleast one blade snaps.. And being a beginner you might loose more... I did. Training gear is a blessing while starting out. It's helps save so much time money and frustration. It's the best 6-9 bucks you'll spend. :)

Lee

@ Gaba I don't think he means it was under power. Just that the head was still spinning.
@Jerbacca Make sure in your pitch curve for normal flight, that you have i little negative pitch at low stick. This helps to hold the heli down once you've landed. Only a small amount though, so you don't slam the heli into the ground in a panick. If you need more advice on setting that up, just shout.

Tony

Staff member
50% should be 0 pitch. I would set your pitch curve to about 45 47.5 50 75 100. That is where my heli is set anyway and I like it. some others have a different opinion, but this setting works for me. And if I remember correctly, that will give you about 1.5* of negative pitch.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I have it the same way too: some negative not only helps the heli sit tight but slows the blades down faster thus making it more stable on the skids... What do you have your throttle hold pitch curve set as... ? I make it a point to hit throttle hold once my heli is sitting tight. Don't know if you know about that or not, buy throttle cut saves lives.. Lol ;)

Top Bottom