450 HK 450 GT with Mods

Lee

Guys,
I started to build my second HK450GT in April. Due to having too many toys and the fact i was having vibration issues with it. It has taken till now to finish it.
So with out further a do, may i introduce........ HK450GT Mk2 "Frankencopter"

attachment.php

Here is the basic build.
I always build one half first. Its easier to see whats what.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The mods
The V3 Head from Tarot
attachment.php

Longer battery tray to protect from taco's
attachment.php

One piece main shaft holder. Keeps shaft perfectly straight
attachment.php

One piece tail/drive block. Reduces tail vibration
attachment.php

Carbon Flybar paddles
attachment.php

V3 tail with Align grips
attachment.php

So thats the basic build. Next i will post the electrics.

100_2344.jpg

4 Side 3.jpg

5 Frame 1.jpg

6 Frame 2.jpg

7 Bat Tray.jpg

9 V3 Head.jpg

100_2114.jpg

Screen shot 2011-09-14 at 18.53.04.jpg

Screen shot 2011-09-14 at 18.54.19.jpg

100_2336.jpg

100_2339.jpg

Lee

So next up was the electrics.
I started with the 2836 3700KV Turnigy motor. It was a good motor in my last 450, but this one caused me some issues. I eventually found that the motor shaft was bent!!! So i replaced it with a Typhoon 2215 3550KV
My first impression of this motor, Very smooth and loads of power.

attachment.php

The ESC i had for it lost its magic smoke on my Funjet :) so i replaced it with a Hobby Wing Pentium 40A
Again first impressions are that it is very smooth. The soft start is excellent.

attachment.php

For this 450 i wanted solid control of the tail, so i put an Align GP750 gyro on it.

attachment.php

Cyclic servos i got as a pack of three from Corona. They are digital and seem good but i cannot say yet as i only had one flight.
The tail is held by an Align 420
So all Electrics in. Next we'll see if she flys :D

100_2342.jpg

100_2114.jpg

100_2337.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

Before i tell you how this flew. There was a huge problem that took me a long time to find the culprit.
As you may have read in another post, i had very bad vibrations in the tail.
I replaced everything that moved 2 or 3 times with no effect. The one thing i did find was the bent motor shaft, but tis didn't fix the vibration.
In the end i discovered it to be the carbon boom. It was causing a heli destroying resonant frequency at about 1/3rd throttle. I replaced it with a nice gold coloured aluminium boom and all vibrations stopped.
So how did it fly??
Fantastic. I only got i quick flight in before the local wind came to spoil the fun. Video will follow when it finally dies down.
It is so quiet compared to my last 450GT and very smooth. No trim was necessary at all in the TX.
I got 10mins showing that the motor is very good on juice. My last 450 gave me 6mins.
I was going to sell this when i finished, but i think i'll fly it for a while. It feels so good. :D

Last edited:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Lee youed better fly it for a long while after all the trouble it gave you! Nice job! Now let's see the video! Lol

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Good deal Lee, especially the heads up on the Main Bearing Block and Tail Boom Mount. I'll be looking into these as well because they make a lot of sense! Thanks!

Lee

First test flight went well. Wind was a bit gusty and the tail had a slight wag. This was due to me having the GP750 gyro still set to my Trex 500 size not the 450 size. The heli is super smooth, cant wait to go fly it again tonight. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
I had the Typhoon motors on the 500 and 600, and although the 600 I thought was lacking power (might have been the ESC), the 500 had a bunch of power. More than the heli needed as you guys saw by the punch out that made me pee a little :D

zapster

That looks like it does fly really smooth. It is great when there quiet and you can hear the blades good too.Great job !

Lee

I have just taken this back from my friend that bought it from me. He never flew it. Just kept it in a plastic bag, so its still like new.
I will be selling this with a DX6I with sim cable, Zippy 2200mah battery and an Accucell 50W charger. This will be the ultimate beginner 450 package.
Once i get home to Spain tomorrow, I will check it over and test fly it, before i put it up for sale. If anyone is interested let me know, with a PM.
Please read through this thread to see all the upgrades i did to it. Its one sweet machine.
It will go in the for sale section once its ready to ship.

Top Bottom