500 Hi Guys - Just Joined

BJ 228

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm fairly new at this - started with with a Blade 150s and last year saw a used TREX 550e and couldn't resist.

I do have an issue that I hope someone can help with on my TRex. In rate mode, I can control the rudder fine, but have had problems with heading lock since day one. In setting up as per the manual, it initially looks to behave properly, and then it all of a sudden pushes the slider on the rudder all the way to the right and it stays there no matter how much I rotate it in the opposite direction. I just recently put it on a turn table. With zero throttle, heading lock mode, I turned the table 90 deg right - tail changed pitch correctly. I moved the table back to zero deg - tail came back but not all the way. Then I moved the table 90 deg left - tail moved as expected. Brought table back to zero degrees - tail came back, went past neutral, past the previous position when I moved it back to zero degrees the first time and is now even further from neutral position. I reset by switching to rate mode and back to heading lock, spooled up, and it drifts left.

I'm thinking its time for a new gyro - but wanted to ask first

Gyro: Align 3g
Tail Servo: DS620
Receiver: AR610
Transmitter: DS6i

Tony

Staff member
You are running the original 3G gyro? Or did you mean 3GX? Either way, if that gyro has been in a crash, it could have damaged the tail gyro sensor. If it is an option, you might look into upgrading your gyro to a microbeast or ikon. I'm about to do a review on a TGY380 gyro which is exactly like a microbeast and fits where a 3GX can fit. Just need to get it installed and tuned. But I need to order an adapter for a satellite receiver.

BJ 228

No, I mean the 3G - that's what it came with. And yes, I've had a couple of crashes. Supposedly no crashes before I bought it, and as I said, its' never worked right in heading lock mode since I got it. I've been reading up on the microbeast pro, and figured that's the way I would go.

Tony

Staff member
Any of the microbeast's will be absolutely fantaistic as long as you have a good tail servo.

And I forgot, welcome to the forum!

:welcome1:

Smoggie

The 'Microbeast Plus' works out expensive if you add the 'Pro' software upgrade. The software on it's own is about $100 then you have to buy the programming dongle that's another $20... this is all on top of the purchase price of the basic Microbeast Plus.

Personally i'd recommend the iKon2 / Brain2 (same thing) or the Spirit Pro ... With either of those you get all the 'extra' features with the basic package, no hidden costs. They are also easier to program in my opinion and they have more features.

BJ 228

Thanks. I did mean microbeast plus, not microbeaast pro. However, I'll look into the iKon2 and Spirit Pro as well.

Smoggie

The 'Pro' software gives you self levelling stabilisation and governor. If you dont want or need these features then the basic 'Microbeast Plus' is worth considering

Smoggie

PS... just a thought on your original problem. You dont have any trim or sub-trim in the TX do you? Trims dont play well with heading hold gyros, it's best to disable trims when setting up a FBL heli.

Admiral

Hi BJ, welcome to the forum, if it is the Align 3G gyro that I'm thinking of it is really old technology, the only one I've seen came with the Align FBL upgrade kit and it worked but that was the best part of 10 years ago, the newer generations have improved dramatically. I stared with clones then went to beastX and more recently to iKon can't fault any of them its all a matter of personal choice and budget constraints.

3G Gyro.jpg

BJ 228

No trim or subtrim on the rudder, the only subtrim is on the swash plate servos to get the swash plate level.

I didn't realize the 3G was that old, that explains why there's very little info on web. I'm in the middle right now of comparing the iKon2, Microbeast Plus and Spirit Pro. I do like the self leveling stabilization feature included on the Spirit Pro.

Tony

Staff member
The Ikon2 also has that feature. I prefer the Ikon2 myself, but in all honesty, I have never owned the other one.

liquid1

Yea I wished my microbeast plus had the same features as the Ikon2 and spirit pro not sure if ide tell the difference being a big ginger pilot but it sounds cool and more relaxing having stability control my kit 470 lm come with microbeast plus there’s gobs of vids and reviews of setups and pilots liking it 3 good choices for sure

Smoggie

It's a close choice between the Spirit and the iKon. their feature set and performance is very close. Advantages for each as I see them:

Spirit:
  • Metal case
  • Open Tx Integration (if you use Open Tx)
  • More stability and rescue options
  • Highly vibration resistant (seems more so than the iKon/Brain)
  • Great online support direct from the designer of the unit.
  • Soon to have GPS add-on option for position hold and return to home

iKon2/Brian2
  • Better availability from local distributors
  • Available in HD (heavy Duty) and built in Bluetooth options
  • End connector layout (top connections like the Spirit can be awkward to wire up)

The list of features they both share is a much longer list! Personally the Spirit Pro is the FBL of choice for me, but i've not used the Brain2.. I'm sure I'd like that one too if i tried it!

Last edited:

BJ 228

Thanks all. This is great info. I had a look at all 3, and decided on the iKon2. Since all 3 seem to be in high regard, it came down to the connector position and the user interface. And Smoogie, you're right about the cost, it works out that the microbeast plus is about the same price as either the iKon2 or the Spirit Pro, and you don't get the same features with the microbeast plus.

Top Bottom