Hi All

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well howdy there Mont :chickendance:Tell us about your self and like Tony mention, post up your models too :popcorn:

MONTY

Hi there guys i don't have any models just yet but hope to by christmas day. I have been looking at a 450 size heli as heard they are a bit easier to set up and are easier for a beginner to get the basics, this is why i signed up so fingers crossed and will be on here no doubt asking for help and advice.watched many vids on youtube and i am in awe of how these machines perform.thanks again guys for the warm welcome mont1071

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Well if this going to be your first time owning and flying a heli and to save you money in the long run, I highly recommend purchasing a flight simulator first.

MONTY

You must have read my mind just been looking on the forum for suggestions any thoughts to save me time searching

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
There's a few out there. First I would invest in a TX that you are planning to use on your rc models. Then you can get something like this https://www.amainhobbies.com/realflight-9-flight-simulator-software-only-rfl1101/p1008922 then you can use your TX that your planning to buy.

You should wait til Tony steps in on this subject. If this going to be your first heli, you will want to start off with a beginners heli first. You don't want to jump in to the water before you know how deep it really is. Just my :2c:

Tony

Staff member
A flight sim as Ivan mentioned is the best investment you will purchase in this hobby! And don't make the same mistake that a lot of us made and start out with a Collective Pitch helicopter. Start out with a fixed pitch or at least something with stabilization like the AS3X line. These will help you learn. Jumping into something like an Align 450 will be a HUGE learning curve, and you will crash your first time out because these things are quite hard to fly.

Realflight is a great simulator. I have heard great things about neXt as well but don't own it.

MONTY

Thank you guys have taken all your points on board and will defo get a sim will also look at maybe getting a trainer model as well,i can see already that this hobby is not for the faint hearted lol,but also see that with the right base to start from it will hopefully be a fun process this is why i joined the forum to hopefully get the right advice and progress in the right way.i also realise that this will take time to learn but I'm in no rush either cheers again guys :hdbng::hdbng:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's great Monty. You're going in with the right state of mind. This hobby is very EASY to get frustrated with. If you take your time and take baby step you will enjoy this hobby very much. The adrenaline rush and the pucker affect you will get from flying one of these birds is unreal. Especially when you move up in size to a 500 and bigger. There's no such thing as a dumb questions to ask on this forum. If you don't ask...you wont know. There's plenty of individuals on this site that are willing to help out when you need it...so ask away and enjoy. It's all about having fun :beerchug:

RandyDSok

While some aspects ( like heli's ) do take a lot of practice to get the hang of it... I think the "faint of heart" part may be just a bit on the exaggerated side but not by much. :D

RC cars are likely the easiest to get the hang of once you get used to controlling them from the 3rd person perspective. In fact, that 3rd person perspective is the toughest to get past if you don't have experience with it. When an RC vehicle is going away from you, all of the controls feel pretty normal with left and right controls actually working the way you'd expect but turn it around and head it back towards you... and suddenly everything seems a bit backwards.

With a quad copter ( or other multi rotor )... you have the orientation issue like you would with a car but it adds the 3rd dimension of up and down into the mix. Most of the "flying" is done for you by the flight controller and you basically just tell it what direction you want it to go in. I suspect you still have a little of the "balance" issues seen in a heli but most of this is just handled for you by the controller.

I'm mentioning airplanes ( without a flight controller ) 3rd in the list and just a little tougher to learn. The difficulty level does increase with these but they come in classes from a relatively tame trainer model up to the much tougher 3D and racer's. Of course it still has the orientation issues like the car when it's heading back towards you but also includes the "fun" of when flying inverted ( upside down ) that up becomes down and visa versa.

Helicopters are probably the toughest to learn... with the collective pitch ones being pretty tricky to get a handle on. These are a lot like trying to control where a spinning ball on a piece of glass is going. On the otherhand, the coaxial models aren't much tougher ( and perhaps a little easier ) than an airplane to get familiar with.

Like anything... practice is the key to fewer crashes which is why a sim is suggested to anyone just starting in the hobby. Crashes are inevitable but if you train on a sim enough, you can limit the number of them and more importantly.... not have to constantly buy new parts to repair your craft as often.

Admiral

Welcome to the forum Monty, looks like your well on the way with advise, I endorse everything that has been said especially about starting out with a flight Sim.

Good luck with Christmas hopefully it will bring you every thing you need to get started.

Top Bottom