Hi all

Hiya everyone, my name is Tony, I've joined this forum after watching an excellent tutorial on YouTube on how to setup servos, arms, pitch etc from this forum.. I'll be following this through later on my heli.

I bought my first bird around 5 months ago, a Blade 450 3D, yes a bad choice for a first timer learning to fly ccpm. I've also got a blade nano cpx which I've repaired a hundred times over, it's now a right off, my orientation skills are really bad to say the least.

Weirdly though, I have the phoenix rc sim which I have absolutely no problems flying any type of heli, no 3d yet though, but I'm not too interested in that, I can do all orientations on the sim, fly figure of 8's, etc. but terrified to try these with my b450.. It has also had many many repairs, blades, feathering shafts, grips, replaced them all at least 5 times...

Anyway I have ordered the kds flymentor to try and help me to fly this heli, I love the hobby and won't give in.. In future I want to do a fbl conversion on my b450. So I'll be looking on the forum for advice here, also on the flymentor..

I do have a YouTube channel with a few vids on my flying abilities, not good I'm afraid..

I'm hoping to one day find someone who lives local to maybe help me learn to fly..

I don't have much to offer others on the forum but all I can say is "Never give up, and happy flying"

Cheers

Admiral

Welcome to the forum Tony, I don't see any issues with learning on a Blade 450, lots of us did on the old Blade 400, yes there are better Helicopters out there but for the price and with the availability of spares they are not a bad choice. Flying RC Helicopters is a bit like learning to ride a bike you struggle on thinking it will never happen then all of a sudden it does and your progression from there is rapid. Stick with it you'll get there, I'm not a great fan of the Flymentor type systems, I think they become a crutch that you have trouble letting go of but thats just my opinion.

Hi Keith

Thanks for the reply, I've also heard the same about the addiction of the flymentor not letting you learn properly, I intend to convert my b450 to fbl when I find some info on this forum. I'm really struggling with orientation in real flights and hoping the mentor will help a little, I think I lack confidence as it's simple on the sim.

Thanks

Lee

Welcome to the forum Tony.
If you are going FBL, look at the IKON/BRAIN units.
They have a self level function that turns it almost into a coaxial heli. Super stable.
I don't know anyone on here that has used the Flymentor system.

sarconastic

Welcome to the forum Tony. If your talking about visibly losing orientation of the heli then one tip I got from an old Timer that used to fly around here is that bright, light color on the side of the heli is your friend. Whether Coaxial or CCPM your brain first has to first see what it wants to do, then interpret it. If your trying to figure it out then that is time that allows problems to creep in. So what he had me do was cut out a big arrow from a piece of neon green vinyl and stick it on the starboard (right) side of the helicopter canopy with the arrow pointed towards the front. Then I cut one out of a piece of bright red material and did the same on the Port (Left side of the bird) Then I knew at a glance which side I was looking at and also which direction I was pointed from quite a ways off. The bonus is those colors also coordinate to navigation lights for Air and water craft, so You learn that as well. But it did help me get more orientated when I was learning. Really after a while you won't need them. you will just get it.

Good
Luck

Woody

Hiya Lee, thanks for the welcome, and nice to know some UK members, will be handy when I want to find UK stockists...

I actually ordered the flymentor 3 weeks ago from a uk supplier, but not received it yet and not getting any replies from emails, not good..

Anyway, the ikon fbl system has mixed feelings I think on YouTube, some love it and some can't set it up..

What I'm thinking of is going fbl using the tarot parts and zyx system, so many pilots love this kit, it's finding uk suppliers that's the problem... Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Woody, thanks for the welcome

That's a brilliant idea, I'm going on eBay in a mo to find this stuff, I actually did think of putting some bright led strips down each side of the boom in appropriate red/green colours, then put some red and green tape on the tx....but the vinyl sounds better and quicker..

I'll certainly give that a go when I get my new servos on tomorrow..

Cheers Woody

Lee

Where did you order the flymentor from?
I use Ikon in all my helis.
I have also used BeastX, and ZYX. The ZYX was ok but I never got it to feel the way I wanted.
Don't know what people are doing, but its childs play to set up the IKON.
Just follow the on screen instructions and you are golden.
I picked up a new one last week for £110 from a guy in the UK.

Hi Lee, I got it from a uk supplier south west, don't know if I'm allowed to mention shop names yet, but the guy said it would be in 7-10 days, that was on the 21st of May.. Well the ikon might be the way to go then. £110 is probably worth more than my heli...lol...
Just some help in stabilising the heli is all i need to help me with orientation. I don't have problems with the sim, it's easy, even nose in hover..

Thanks

Barge

Welcome aboard Tony, lots of genuine help here to get you sorted. These Helis are very challenging and that's what makes them so appealing. Cheers

Hi Barge, thanks for the welcome, I've lost count how many times I've crashed the b450 and the blade nano, but I keep repairing and keep trying, love it, wish I'd done it years ago now though, nearly 60 now...

Cheers

Top Bottom