General Hey guys.., I know this is like the second time I said this

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I still think planes are cool... Lol

I need one!! So bad!!! But a better one this time. I have been flying my sukhoi and it has made ms fall in love with planes again. It's just that the ultra micro I have almost has no weight or wind cutting power.. Lol..

Seeing tony's beautiful plane, and so many more around, I think I might want one too for Christmas!! Heehee

Now I need help picking one.. No foamie's this time.. Iffy about the epo moulded ones like on nitro planes. How are they? Worth it??

Also, if I wanna go wood arf , is that not advisable? Is balsa a bad pick for me? Ummm.... Do I need to go glider first? But I want a powerful one... Help me figure all this out. I have enough time to figure out what I want till Christmas! But I need to research a good one now.. :) help !! :)

Thanks you guys!!

Also size constraint still 50inch may be max Wing span... May be a bit more, y'all suggest.. Not too big than that.. Something I can use my 40a esc and tpro 9g metal gear servos in will save me a lot of $$$$$ :) thanks!!

Tony

Staff member
I would suggest getting a real trainer like a Piper Cub or something. If you want into 3D planes, learn to land really well before you do it. My plane flew today, but we did have a mishap. More to come in the video.

Balsa and ply construction is where it's at. I do not suggest the EPP or EPO foam planes, cause I believe this hobby started with balsa and ply, and that is what I"m going to do. But, you can do what you wish, for me, there is no foam.

RCD

Glencairn Drone
i reviewed 2 epo molded planes in the review section of the site. Maybe you'll like them. lol

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Go with a good trainer. I have a hobbico superstar 60. Great plane. Easy to fly. Hell I can even fly it! The only thing is it's not made anymore. But they still have plenty of trainer models. Not real costly either!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Nah, you can get a good kit for about $70, with motor for about $160. This is nitro as well. So, you will need the field kit and box, fuel, and all that other stuff. Once you go nitro, you will never want to go back lol. And JOIN A CLUB! They will teach you how to fly the right way.

Keith

Having always built with balsa I believed it was the only way, buy recently I have been messing with foamies and am starting to like it.... You can quickly get any shape you want and with a hot wire foam cutter (I got four, all do different jobs) it's easy... And I have just started experimenting with film coverings and its looking good... So I can utilize the skills I learnt years ago with this new product (for me anyway)... I have nearly finished a YC-14 Cargo plane all with EPS (polystyrene)... Will post some pics soon...

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Building your own is cool if you have the time. I would go balsa though. Fomeys just don't Do it for me. Plus you crash your done. Start over. Lol wood can be rebuilt. Most ARF kits you can buy parts to rebuild them. Then there is the engine. Electric is great for helis. Has far has planes, got to be nitro or gas for me. That's what trips my trigger. Lol GABA, get what you feel is right for you! That's all there is to it!

RCD

Glencairn Drone

Having always built with balsa I believed it was the only way, buy recently I have been messing with foamies and am starting to like it.... You can quickly get any shape you want and with a hot wire foam cutter (I got four, all do different jobs) it's easy... And I have just started experimenting with film coverings and its looking good... So I can utilize the skills I learnt years ago with this new product (for me anyway)... I have nearly finished a YC-14 Cargo plane all with EPS (polystyrene)... Will post some pics soon...

Im looking forward to seeing the YC-14!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ok guys... santa just came in early... three paycheck month.. i can spare about a 150-220 total... TOTAL.. lol... so.. I will still need help people... you have no clue how much I wanna go nitro.. Like I want one so bad.. but will any fit this budget in getting ready to fly.. ??? I would get it if you tell me which one.. :)

Please do remember, all i have ever flown is electric so i wont have the N for Nitro.. lol .. so I will need everything.. What the heck is an engine box? do i really need one? What is it? Can i start the engine by filling fuel in and flicking the prop :p ... you might see how big of a NOOOOB i am.. lol

Third.. if this nitro thing ends up not working out in the budget, I would really really appreciate if you could give me some options here.. I look at horizon hobby wensite, and that confuses me.. lol parkzone confuses me too..

Tony.. YES I will join a club definately..!

I dont have the time / space / tools for building one from scratch.. or say the knowledge yet.. so my budget wont even get me close to the tools i would need if i even start building one.. heehee.. i bet it would be awesome once i can finally do it!! :)

OK.. last... the hobbico one y'al mentioned, its on amazon too... but is that with engine or without? whats the wing span? please remember size :( , thats a HUGE issue with me... :) i think its a 60inch.. its a bit much fr me..

I know its a lot of questions, but its like when i was starting into helis, i remember i bombarded tony with like a million questions.. NOw its all of you and tony.. i bet y'all can help me!! heehee!! :)

how is the extra 260 from horizon hobby ?? :) i know its not a trainer but will i be able to tame it down with travel limits and expo... ??? tony.. i guess, you have flown these much more before, but i can now fly planes.. atleast the ultra micro ones, and i think.. I THINK... i can handle it.. but you tell me, how is your flights going with your plane?

Phew.. that was a rant!! :p :D... ok.. and if that is not a good plane for me.. please tell me which one... I would really really really really really appreciate it ! :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
If you do not want to built the kit, then you want to get an ARF (Almost Ready to Fly). Those (like my Edge 540T) are already put together and skinned. You just supply the electronics, and you have to do some gluing and stuff on it. Then, you get to setup all of your servos, and the throws. I DO NOT suggest that you start out with a stunt plane like the 260, 300, or like my Edge 540T. They are very sensitive with the controls, and no offense, but you like to stick bang lol. Yeah, I saw you with my trainer hehe.

Here is my suggestion. Go join a club and start talking with people. You will meet someone that just so happens to have a plane for sale, and they will sell it in yoru price range. For the amount you posted, there is no way you will get one off the ground. My arf was $170 for the kit, $150 for the motor, esc, and battery, and another $80 for the servos. Not including the glue and epoxy, as well as the iron to get the wrinkles out of the monoKote. It adds up fast.

Tony

Staff member
Even that is over his budget, adn he doesn't need the Tx. So, that takes off $130 right there. But, you will still need all of the servos, fuel line adn all the other crap that you can think of. I"m thinking on that budget, you are looking at an electric trainer in the 40" category. I will do some lookin'.

Tony

Staff member
I have heard great things about it as well. With the vented flaps, the thing just flys really slow. You can almost do a harrier landing with this plane with those on lol. And the tips on the wing to provide lift even in a stall is just great. Take all of it off, and you have a great plane that will fly really well, you just have to keep a little more airspeed.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ok the one breeze showed will be my next to what tony did!! tony i love the one you showed... perfectly in budget, and amazing flight.. and looks good wnough for a trainer! :)

Ohh.... you wait.. i am gonna have this baby soon! :D :D

Tony

Staff member
And, it's full wood construction, with monokote covering. If you need a little more power, you can replace the brushless motor with something bigger. Just make sure it fits in the cowel. If I had the coin, I would get this just to fly around with. But, no money, have to renew my license lmao.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i got sold so fast.. lol i went ahead and bought it.. :) :D

waiting for it in the next couple days!!! YAY YAY YAY YAY!!

Tony

Staff member
Did you buy into the super saver club? I know that I did lol. Saved me shipping as well, so it didn't cost anymore.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
yes, i did they actually gave me 10 bucks off the plane and waived my shipping.. lol that was good.. i paid 5 bucks more to get it here faster! :) lol..

Top Bottom