Misc Hexa Motors

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
No, oppisit! Higher the kv the more power. But! There is no standard way to rate a motor. In other words one motor, say 620 kv could put out the same has another say 900 kv.

RandyDSok

Actually... power is rated in watts for what that is worth...

The kV is actually a rating to say how many revolutions the motor turns per volt... You can have a low wattage motor turn the same kv ( revolutions per volt ) as a higher wattage motor... So the power is not represented by kv although the kv a motor spins can affect the final wattage the motor can produce.

WyDiablo

So how would a person know that he is getting a better motor for a good price? Right now my motors on my hexa are the rctimer.com type at 1000Kv

RandyDSok

I will typically use a quality motor from Hacker or Motrofly.. They do cost more than some but will usually live longer and provide more power for their weight...

Tony

Staff member
In most cases, the lower the KV the more torque the motor will have per watt of power. However as Randy stated the power is all about the wattage of the motor. The only way to know what your motor is pulling is with a watt meter if you don't have the specs on it.

Lee

The lower the KV for Multirotor means less high frequency vibes. This will give you less jello effect in your video footage.

Lee

Not necessarily. If you go up to 4S batteries you can keep the power too. I have my QAV500 setup with 4S 5000Mah battery. It gives perfect smooth 1080HD footage and tonnes of power. It has been clocked at 90Kph.

Tony

Staff member
The "jello effect" is more from out of balance props or a loosely mounted camera. I thought my cameras were mounted securely but when I really tightened down the camera, the video was much better. KV has nothing do do with this. As stated before, KV is Rpm Per Volt. So a 1000kv motor would spin 1000rpm for every 1 volt.

WyDiablo

The RPM does have some efect on the quality of the video. Flying the T-Rex I noticed that the more I reduced the head speed the better the video was getting.

RandyDSok

The RPM does have some efect on the quality of the video. Flying the T-Rex I noticed that the more I reduced the head speed the better the video was getting.

What I believe Tony was trying to get across was that the issues you may see with your video are being caused by the vibrations such as those from out of balanced props/blades etc... so yes an increase in rpm would then increase the vibration IF they are caused by being out of balance...

WyDiablo

Dunno how we gotshifted from motor power to jello and vibes lol. I started out talking about how to tell how powerful a motor was for a multirotor. I believe right now that
the motors I use put out something like 30 to 35 ozs of thrust at 210W.

RandyDSok

Dunno how we gotshifted from motor power to jello and vibes lol. I started out talking about how to tell how powerful a motor was for a multirotor. I believe right now that
the motors I use put out something like 30 to 35 ozs of thrust at 210W.

The 210w is the max rated power ( watts ) for the motor ( if they didn't exaggerate, which is common ) BUT each configuration ( batteries, esc, props/blades ) differ so not all of them will reach that max amount... This means that the only way to know is to run a static test using a watts/amp meter ( like a Watts-Up or similar ).

In short, published numbers are for reference only. What is posted by many of the cheaper ones are exaggerated... so only trust the numbers you have tested. Different batteries, esc, props/blades will also affect the final test number, so just another reason to test it for yourself.

Tony

Staff member
What Randy said is what I meant. Very rarely will you find a motor case out of balance but even then, it has nothing to do with the KV. I think you are on the right track though. Even if we did get a little off topic lmao.

Top Bottom