General Hex Drivers

Jimbo

I really do need a set of these, but the sizes all seem to very. Any recommendations on a good set or what individual sizes I need to buy?

Jim

Smoggie

I also just bust the tip off the 1.5mm tip too while trying to shift a over Loctited screw (should have put heat on it).. But I've had them years and I've never stripped a head when using them so i really cant complain. The colour coding makes it easy to select the correct size which is a nice touch. The only down side is that you dont seem to be able to buy replacement tips on their own.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, you can't get replacements for any of the drivers from what I have found. And the tip on mine didn't break, it broke on the shaft really close to the hex chuck that goes into the handle. Again, I have absolutely no idea how it broke, I didn't break it, and no one else knows either lol. Imagine that.

bigone5500

The banggood set may not be top notch but it's better than what I have right now which is nothing, well I have a few cheap L shaped hex keys. The ones that came with the heli.

bigone5500

Wow! Just checked my banggood afliliate account and now to upgrade to VIP, you have to have $30,000 in sales. What a joke.

Tony

Staff member
That's fine, I'm about done with helping that site. After this helicopter having, what I want to call just stupid mistakes, I'm not sure if it is worth helping a site like that. And now that they are raising the VIP level by $20,000, they are getting greedy.

Geena

Staff member
I have every size from 1.5mm through 4mm, and my brand of choice is Scorpion. But there are a lot of other really good hex drivers out there as well. Dynamite has a set that is inexpensive, and comes with a nice little zippered case and a nice ratcheting handle. I think that set is $20 on most sites, and you get 1.5mm-4mm hex drivers, two sizes of flat screw drivers, and two sizes of Philips screw drivers, and 4mm-8mm nut drivers.

Here are the Dynamite drivers. Dynamite Startup Tool Set (Traxxas Vehicles) [DYN2833] | Cars & Trucks

Scorpion: Scorpion High Performance Tool Set (10 Drivers) [SCP-1009] | Cars & Trucks

Last edited:

bigone5500

We have to be sensible about these fasteners. An M2 screw doesn't need 10ft/lbs of torque. most of the screws on my 270 have lock nuts. That coupled with loctite, it's not going anywhere. Now if you are working on several birds all the time, maybe a very expensive set is required with hardened tips and all. But for someone like me, these should do the trick...unless I get duped by banggood. I'll report with the quality and some real world photos when I get them. I should have them probably monday week or a few days after that. I paid the $.96 for twice as fast shipping. That was probably stupid too.

Tony

Staff member
Keep us posted on what you think about them. I have thought about having them send me some tools for review, but just have not gotten to that point.

Geena

Staff member
We have to be sensible about these fasteners. An M2 screw doesn't need 10ft/lbs of torque. most of the screws on my 270 have lock nuts. That coupled with loctite, it's not going anywhere. Now if you are working on several birds all the time, maybe a very expensive set is required with hardened tips and all. But for someone like me, these should do the trick...unless I get duped by banggood. I'll report with the quality and some real world photos when I get them. I should have them probably monday week or a few days after that. I paid the $.96 for twice as fast shipping. That was probably stupid too.

I use my tools a lot. I do builds and setups for other people all the time, as well as constant maintenance on my own helicopters. So The pricier tools were the right choice for me. The Bangood drivers should serve you well, and as Tony said, I would love to hear your thoughts on them. :)

Smoggie

Yeah, a good set of hex keys is the best tool investment i ever made. Using cheap L shape keys i was constantly stripping heads which is frustrating and can work out expensive. I dont think I've stripped a single head since moving to decent hex drivers. The ones on Banggood are probably fine, some of the Chinese brand stuff is very good (though there is some rubbish out there too!).

PS... I dont want to irritate you guys too much but Banggood seem to have upgraded my account to 'VIP2' level for some reason:arms:... This must be for doing the review because I've only purchased a few bits and pieces from them.

bigone5500

Got my hex drivers today. They seem to be decent quality but will have to see about that. The handle is made of machined aluminum and has a brass insert with a magnet to accept the bits. The bits that came with it are 1.5, 2, 2.5, and 3mm. They seem to be made from a mildly hardened steel. The tips are not hardened. The tips are however ground very nicely with sharp corners and a nice squarely faced end. I tested a couple on my 270 and they fit well. The end cap on the handle has an o-ring which seals off the bits when they are stored to prevent moisture and rust. The end cap also has small magnets to keep the bits from falling out when you remove them from the handle. The grip pattern is comfortable to hold with no sharp corners to dig in.

Over all I am very happy with this purchase. It seems like a bit better quality than you would expect from banggood/china.

Top Bottom