Hex Driver Set

fhu667

Does anyone have an excellent set of hex drivers they would recommend that wouldn't break the bank? I guess the smallest size we use for helis is maybe a 1.5 mm hex? I'm also open to hearing which ones to stay away from if someone had a bad experience. I was thinking about going to HD to look at lunch today, but I think I'll go fly instead!

pvolcko

Align Hexagon Screw Driver Set (1.5, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0mm) [AGNHZ024] | Tools - A Main Hobbies

I've been using these for a while now. One of the best buys I've made. On the 700 size helis there may e some larger sizes needed for blades and spindles, but for everything else these work great. Good high quality tool steel that doesn't strip out or deform at the tips. And, personally, I like having each driver with a handle so I'm not swapping bits all the time. If you go with a changable bit type tool, might want to consider getting an extra handle or two.

Lee

I know they are pricey, but if i had the money i'd get the new Scorpion hex set. At $12 per tool, its for the rich guys though :D

Derek

I have two sets of the Align drivers that Paul mentioned above. They work great. Comfortable grip.

murankar

Staff member
I know this is not what you want to hear but you have to buy a good set of tools. I started out with the basic tool klit from EXI and shortly after I had to replace my 1.5 mm hex keys (after the first build). I ended up with the turnigy 1.5 mm hex keys and they served me well while I had them. Lasted way longer than the EXI brand. Now I have the Scorpoin 1.5 and 2.0 mm hex drivers and those are my go to hex keys. I need to invest in another 2.0mm and a 2.5, maybe a 3.0mm. I could get the cross tips and nut drivers but for now what I have works. Personally I would get the Scorpions, they are durable and long enough for any situation.

one more thing
They actually lock into position (Scorpion). Once you insert it, its a bit harder to get out. Amazing to have a tool hold in place.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Right on, that is the one that I have and I really like it. The only tool that is missing is the .050" for hte small grub screws. However, most new kits are using the 1.3mm or whatever. I have the black handle one as well where the tips go into the handle, but I like the HOT00002 better because the bits lock in to the handle.

wolfman76

I also have that set as matter of fact I have 2 you will find you need 2 of certain sizes like when working on the feathering shafts.... You will love that set I use mine for darn near everything

Top Bottom