450 Help With Trex 450 pro dfc super combo 3gx

I have this heli. Not flying yet due to set up woes. I have all the servos working correctly, but now the tail set up. I go to the third light on the 3Gx unit and set the tail servo limits...left- then right. Then I can wiggle the tail and see the servo working great. After I end the set up, however, the travel isn't correct, and the gyro isn't working anymore to correct the tail. What am I missing? please?

Tony

Staff member
I went ahead and moved this to it's own thread.

First question I have is what Tx are you using? It sounds to me like you don't have any gain in teh gyro menu of your Tx. You will need to go into the positive (if using DX7s or DX8) or above 50 if using the DX6i. If you are using another Tx, then someone will have to answer for me.

When you set the end points up on the gyro for the tail, try to go until the slider is close to stopping but has not hit the end yet. This will help set it up correctly.

I'm sure you don't want to wait on it, but I'm going to be doing a video on this very subject here soon when I get everything else worked out around here. Let me know about the Tx.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
When doing tail and points, you'll see a blinking green light.. Move it to the end point say right... Then back off until servo stops straining it chattering.. Then leave it there for a sec and the light will turn red or blinking red.. That means its saved that config and then go other direction and do that same thing.

Did you follow that?

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Last edited:
Yes... think I didn't wait at the right time. ****Wish I had mounted the 3Gx gyro up top instead of underside reversed, lol. I had read that most pilots prefer to mount it where it will be safest from crash harm...

- - - Updated - - -

Darn...that's too easy!!! Thanks...I am using the low model Futaba TX (Align's transmitter that they include with their new RTF450 -a Futaba 6J) with R2008SB receiver. I didn't want the chance of Spektrum problems. I already had a DX6i, but no satellites.

Yes... think I didn't wait at the right time. ****Wish I had mounted the 3Gx gyro up top instead of underside reversed, lol. I had read that most pilots prefer to mount it where it will be safest from crash harm...

- - - Updated - - -

Darn...that's too easy!!! Thanks...I am using the low model Futaba TX (Align's transmitter that they include with their new RTF450 -a Futaba 6J) with R2008SB receiver. I didn't want the chance of Spektrum problems. I already had a DX6i, but no satellites.

OKAY!!! I am almost there. Thank you so much! One more time through the Aeli and Elev set up and I should have it! (Need to get the gyros working correctly on those two)

Tony

Staff member
IMO, mounting it on the under side is the cleanest and safest place you can mount it. and I think I have the Ail and Ele gyro setup on one of my videos. I can't remember off the top of my head how to do it though like the tail lol. OH GABA!!!! :biggrin1:

Tony

Staff member
Oh, and what issues were you having with the spektrums? There have been some recalls, but Horizon has always repaired them free of charge. I have had the DX6i and I'm currently running the DX8 and have not had a single problem. Everyone here (mostly) will HIGHLY suggest the DX7s or DX8 for the heli you are building.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Just go in dir mode by pressing dir button and plugging power whole holding the dir. Let go as soon as the led sequence is about to come to an end. If you go past that, you are governor menu so remember that.

Anywaz... After that. Aileron travel go right on aileron and hold ... Aileron rev is whee you would reverse the gyro correction,

Same for elevator and that's it

If you are 3gx 3.0.. Please don't fly before doing governor setup. (Telling 3gx your throttle end points) even of you are not using governor on your bird. It's needed in 3gx 3.0

Just go in dir mode by pressing dir button and plugging power whole holding the dir. Let go as soon as the led sequence is about to come to an end. If you go past that, you are governor menu so remember that.

Anywaz... After that. Aileron travel go right on aileron and hold ... Aileron rev is whee you would reverse the gyro correction,

Same for elevator and that's it

If you are 3gx 3.0.. Please don't fly before doing governor setup. (Telling 3gx your throttle end points) even of you are not using governor on your bird. It's needed in 3gx 3.0

Thanks! I now have the tail under control. I have only been able to "eyeball" my pitch- no pitch gauge yet...but I throttled up until just about lift off speed, but then the imbalance of blades kicks in and it is senseless to continue due to the amplifying vibration. Next step...get out there and find a local pitch gauge owner! I know of ONE guy in this small town...will let you know if I am in need of additional help. Thanks again, all of you!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
There is an easy way to just do tracking and mid stick zero pitch without gauge.. Fold both blades to the sane side.. If swash is leveled , just put both parallel to the boom.. And go to mid stick..

Looking at the blades at eye level both should overlap perfectly.. :)

I assume I don't need to mention.. DISCONNECT THE MOTOR or ensure throttle hold.

Your pitch curve must represent 50 at mid stick for that :)

Oh, and what issues were you having with the spektrums? There have been some recalls, but Horizon has always repaired them free of charge. I have had the DX6i and I'm currently running the DX8 and have not had a single problem. Everyone here (mostly) will HIGHLY suggest the DX7s or DX8 for the heli you are building.

I never had an issue with the Spektrum receivers- that I can be sureof I had my Blade SR suddenly veer into the building I was flying next to, when I had been flying with good control up until the"plunge". Probably a dumb thumb. Anyway, I didn't have a satellite to use with my transmitter...and at $30 a piece- and I needed two, I thought I'd come out better using Futaba. That one fellow heli flyer I know also recommended against Spektrum. Turns out the receiver for the Futaba cost $60. I had to also pay $75 for the transmitter. So the money mistake is mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! You explained that so much more clearly than the guy I found on You Tube that gave the geometrical equation for finding out the pitch without a gauge. He also showed folding the blades on the same side.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I now have the tail under control. I have only been able to "eyeball" my pitch- no pitch gauge yet...but I throttled up until just about lift off speed, but then the imbalance of blades kicks in and it is senseless to continue due to the amplifying vibration. Next step...get out there and find a local pitch gauge owner! I know of ONE guy in this small town...will let you know if I am in need of additional help. Thanks again, all of you!

I believe what is happening is when I make a corrective move left or right with my aileron (to make the heli lean left or right while tail is towards you), the computer gyro is fighting it to go the other way. This means I need to switch the aileron reverse in the settings, right?

Tony

Staff member
If the gyros are reversed, then the heli will keep leaning faster and faster in one direction. The gyro senses that it needs to correct, but in it's correction, it's actually making the issue worse. This is where you would go into DIR and adjust the gyro correction for the Ail and Ele. Is this what is happening? I may have missed something.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
If your inputs is right and heli is wanting to go left.. That's just simply your Tx aileron channel reversed.

If on the bench you tilt it right and the swash moves right with the heli automatically and vice versa... Then the aileron reverse in DIR mode needs to be reversed.

Same for elevator. (Just that its up and down)

Let us know

If your inputs is right and heli is wanting to go left.. That's just simply your Tx aileron channel reversed.

If on the bench you tilt it right and the swash moves right with the heli automatically and vice versa... Then the aileron reverse in DIR mode needs to be reversed.

Same for elevator. (Just that its up and down)

Let us know

Wahoooooo! I went through DIR again today. (I was kind of burnt out on it last time I posted.)
I HOVERED that bad bird! Tweaks are all that should be left now!!! Thanks, all!

I received welcomes from SO many members- male and female, and I appreciate this forum and its members' dedication to assist others in such a kind fashion. :friendly_wink:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey thats what we are here for! help each other out. now see if you can help someone else too :D :D :D

We all learn with each other here :)

Glad to here you got it working bro.. NOW GET A VIDEO!!! :)

Tony

Staff member
Good deal Larry. As stated by Gaba, post a video of it so we can see the fruits of our labor (help) lol.

Hoping to get my pitch gauge today in the mail....I have never built a heli until this one (I have bought used)....so I never had to set pitch.

Tony

Staff member
A pitch gauge is a must have tool for anyone that flies collective pitch helicopters. If you have any questions, just ask and we will help out.

Top Bottom