1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Trucks Help With My 2.5 Tmaxx

Discussion in 'Cars, Trucks, Boats' started by Charlie88, Jan 30, 2020.

< Youngblood Outrigger Hydro | What's The Name Of This Car >
  1. Charlie88

Charlie88 New Member

So long story short I just completely tore down my dads tmaxx and cleaned/rebuilt everything. Now that I have everything back together I’m having issues tuning it. I put the carb to factory settings and it was running filthy rich, after messing around with it on the bench it seemed to be idling alright. Out in the yard we go where it still seemed to be running rich but I’m nervous to lean it out anymore because it already seems too lean according to the carb settings (2.5 out on the hsn and maybe .5-1 out on the lsn). Still revs to the moon when pinching the line off to the carb before dying and of course it smoked the slipper clutch in the process of running around the yard so now I’m at a stand still.

any tips or advice would be much appreciated, still fairly new to nitro and this truck is starting to push me away.

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

The low speed should be pretty much flush with the face. When you pinch the fuel line, it should take 3 seconds to die. Any longer and it's too rich on the bottom, any less and it's too lean.

Tuning the high speed needle should be done with a temp gun for best results. No more than 240ºF at the glow plug.

When you say slipper clutch, I think of the slipper that is attached to the spur. Is this what you are saying was smoked? If so, then it's too loose. The slipper should be adjusted so that you do not spin the wheels until about two feet after you went WOT. Then it should grab and launch.

If you are referring to the clutch that is inside the clutch bell, either the idle is too high (which is what I'm thinking) or you were bogging it down too much. Try adjusting the idle and don't use part throttle as much unless the truck is rolling.

3. Charlie88

Charlie88 New Member

Thanks for the response tony, I just came in from messing with the truck again after replacing the slipper clutch assembly (spur gear). I’m assuming it was too loose cause the plates were blued and it melted the middle of the spur gear. I started over with tuning and got it running pretty good at least at idle and slight throttle.

The problem I’m having now is it seems I have to rev it up higher then normal for it to actually move. When it does it’s making a chattering noise and I can actually see the spur gear stop and start spinning again almost like it was spinning the opposite way before it engages. After letting the motor run a little bit I brought it back in. I didn’t want to ruin another spur gear not knowing if maybe I have a tranny issue or not.

4. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

The chattering you are seeing is caused by part throttle application and it is the dog slinging out, hitting the pin inside the transmisstion in the 1-2 gear set which causes it to reverse which you are also seeing.

The slipper can help this, but if this is happening at only part throttle, it is normal.

One of these days I will finish the T-Maxx videos and the slipper adjustment is one of those that I need to get done.

5. Charlie88

Charlie88 New Member

Awesome, thank you for the help. Just went out and ripped it around the yard good to go!

< Youngblood Outrigger Hydro | What's The Name Of This Car >