General Help with motor , esc, battery and prop selection

rcguyri

I just purchased a sig lil rascal at a yard sale and it has no motor, esc or prop. I would like to put a brushless outrunner motor in it but I have no idea how to determine what size motor, esc, battery and prop to use! I do not want it to be a screamer (new pilot with really dumb thumbs) but something that will fly slow enough to learn on! the specs. are as follows: Wingspan: 29.75" Wing Area: 134 sq. in. Weight: 9.5 oz. Length: 20.5". Any help finding an inexpensive motor, esc, battery and prop from somewhere like hobbyking.com would be great. Thanks in advance for any help with this project.

Derek

Well, I can be a little bit of help. I simply did a Google search for the "sig lil rascal" and I did find, what appears to be, the same sized plane that someone is selling with a parts list of what's included. Here is what comes with the plane that is for sale:

Waypoint 2208-30T, 150watt 1300KV Brushless Outrunner motor

2 Hitec HS 55 servos

GWS Brushless 15A ESC

Gws 9x6HD prop

I've never heard of that "name" in motors, but hey, I surely don't know it all, lol. I did a Google search for that motor and this is the link for a "Waypoint" motor

Compare RC - Your search engine for all things Remote Controlled

I don't know what your preference is on motors, but I did check through Hobby King's site and they don't seem to have an "exact" motor but there are a few that are similar for less than $15. Just go to the HK website, click on "Electric Motors", then "Outrunners by size", then "ParkFly".

I hope this helps!

Tony

Staff member
What you need to look for in a motor is one that has prop specs on it. You need to find a motor and prop combo that has at LEAST a .8:1 thrust to weight ratio. I HIGHLY suggest you fine one that is 1.3:1 or higher TTWR. This will give you much better performance.

The servos that Derek posted above are just standard 9g servos that you can get just about anywhere for cheap. The more expensive ones are going to be better at speed and centering though.

Also, I went ahead and deletes your other thread. If by chance you post in the wrong section again and realize it, just put a note in there that it needs to be moved (everyone makes a mistake sometimes, it's all good) and we will move it for you. It's not a big deal. Thanks for catching it though and letting us know.

Do you happen to know the AUW (All Up Weight, the weight of the plane ready to fly)of this plane? I would do some google searching, but I'm very short on time right now. Trying to get caught up on the forum real quick before I start yet another sleepless day lol.

Tasajara

Does this plane have a 49" wing? if it does it should be close to weighing about 22-25oz ready to fly with a brushless setup.
I think it is around 15oz empty.
A 28mm 924kv to 950kv on 3s 1300mAh battery or maybe if a 1500 if it fits.
Prop 10x5 to 10x7 Slow Fly prop. 20amp or better esc. I would do an amp check if you can to make sure.
If you can't check amps, fly a short flight and check the motor temp. Remember if an outrunner is hot to touch the motor windings
are much hotter inside. Plus they will get hotter when you land, once you don't have air flow over the motor.
if it does run hot you can always step the prop pitch down a bit.
This setup should have an rpm around 9500 give or take a little.
Just a rough guess on this setup but it should be pretty close to get you going.

Last edited:
Top Bottom