General Help With Identifying This Airplane...

Hello all, I hope someone can help me identify this plane. This was my fathers plane and he always said it was the best flying airplane he ever had. The old picture of it is from 1981, I was 10 years old at the time. He only flew it around 5 or 6 times and on that last flight, the receiver in the plane quite working and I can still remember seeing my dad just standing there watching her go in and not a thing he could do about it. Afterwords, he and I walked that field until almost dark, looking for the thing. He finally found it, well half of it, the other half was in toothpicks. My dad picked up every single sliver of wood that he found and dug out of the ground and rebuilt the fuselage to, what I thought at the time, impossible! But shortly after that was when he first hurt his back. Years of surgery and then just life in general got in the way and he never finished her. He was killed in 2004 at the age of 56. I still can’t believe he’s gone. I was looking back at some old photo albums today (just missing dad) and ran across this old picture of it taken just before he maidened it and the memories came pouring in. I then went out to his old building and started digging around and WALA, found it. She needs a lot of work but THATS ALL, just work! I am so excited, this plane will fly again and will look better than ever once I’m done. My dad was teaching me to fly back then but only on an S-Ray. I never got to touch the sticks on this one. The only thing I’m going to change is replacing the stock fixed gear with retracts and maybe cutting the ailerons down a bit and adding flaps but not sure of that yet. Silk-span and paint will be identical. I only wish I knew WHAT plane it is. I know it came from a kit cause dad build it. It was the first time I got to watch him build a wing on his wing jig. I’m pretty sure it’s a pattern plane, and I think it’s a 60 size but I’m not sure of that either so, I really need some help identifying it if anyone knows what it is? And thanks. I’m 48 years old and have not been this excited about a plane in well, ever...
81959A4E-5533-443A-8215-94EE186949E7.jpeg 2B7BA94C-5488-43B7-AE25-94A8D10BABB3.jpeg

Attachments

• 18D39484-0D7F-4405-935F-BF8174291F1C.jpeg
    18D39484-0D7F-4405-935F-BF8174291F1C.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 20
  • 6079C048-DFF5-4986-B4A1-C87984210BF1.jpeg
    6079C048-DFF5-4986-B4A1-C87984210BF1.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Did he build this from plans, or from a kit? Back then it was very popular to build from plans only. My be worth searching the site below to see if you can find it. It almost looks like the Alpha, but the picture of that plane is horrible (on the link below, not yours :D)

https://www.modelaircraft.org/ma-plans-1980

Thanks for the help! It did come in a kit. I never saw him scratch build one but he did in his younger days. My mom bought him this and a Waco at the same time. He built both. The Waco was this, Another one I would personally love to build myself. I think it would be so cool to have watched him build it when I was 10, then build one now at 48...
Man I miss my dad...

Attachments

• 0E462365-DD0F-4DF8-9764-FD37C53E7F2D.jpeg
    0E462365-DD0F-4DF8-9764-FD37C53E7F2D.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 7

Tony

Staff member
If you knew what year that kit was built, you may be able to narrow it down by the year. One thing is for sure, it's going to be a challenge to find unless someone has, or had this plane. And lets hope it was not from some of the "one off" companies that you can't find any information on...

RandyDSok

With virtually billions and billions ( minor Carl Sagan reference ) of variations ... I don't know which one, but I do believe its one of the many variations I saw of the Kaos that was a very popular airframe back in the day and got copied by a lot of others. Even in the actual Kaos family, there were several variations like the Super and Ultimate Kaos.

Differences I see right off... the chord of the plane's wing shown is narrower... and there is a missing angled piece just in front of the vertical stab. The fuse seems a little more rounded but I saw so many variations on that with the original from completely squared off and not rounded off to nicely rounded but not to the extent seen above.

I know I’ve looked for hours now, I don’t think I’m going to find EXACTLY it. None I find have all the properties this one has. The Daddy Rabbit is as close as I’ve found but it’s different as well. All I know is dad had so many airplanes it would be impossible for me to name them all but this one particular airplane stole his heart. It’s the only one I ever seen him actually get upset over and truly miss.

Top Bottom