General help with an esky CP3

taizi

HI guys
ive got a CP3 and after replacing the RX and 3-1 its now flying pretty well with added fiddling time spent on setting up the gyro and proportion

my question is.... is there another control system i can fit to this model so i can get rid of the frankly crap Esky electronics, the only thing to bear in mind about this , is that the tail is a direct drive unit and does need some kind of 3-1 control unit to run the mix between front and rear

so does anyone have any ideas how i could attempt to do this because i cant plug an esc into it because there is nothing to run the tail

ive also realised that im a much better pilot than i thought i was because i now realise that some of the confidence bashing crashes ive had have been down to that infernal 3-1, as now i have it balanced and flying well it suffers from overheating and goes nuts or as the other day when i was about 20ft in the air it suddenly stopped and dropped out of the sky like a sack of spuds, by chance it landed on the skids with no damage, hence i would like to change this bleeping 3-1 to something that might actually work for longer than a few minutes without wanting to visit the ground at a rate of knots lol

im not hopeful but thought i would ask the professionals

Paul

RMB677

Sounds similar to my problems with an E500. After replacing the 3 in 1, caught fire, with an Esky unit it flew well for a few flights and then I can't get enough proportional to stop a slow spin. When done flying it last night I noticed a faint overheated electronics smell, and I have a lousy sense of smell. I guess I'll be replacing the 3 in 1 soon. I'm thinking of using a Spektrum but there are two, one with the power, 2 motors, and receiver leads and another that adds a signal lead, need to decide which to use. If I get to it before you I'll post my results. Right now I just keep practicing with my 450, I'd like to get the E500 stable so that one of the Granddaughters could use it.

taizi

thanks for the tip

you have exactly the same problem as my one, the tail never holds, it always tries to turn, i thought it was something to do with voltage drop as the battery is used but its seems more likely the electronics are just rubbish
i did try to wire in a spektrum rx but this was really difficult and i had to abandon it , but on the flipside i did some digging and found a link on another site which said to wire the tail lead into the gain port instead of the rudder port , i couldnt try this because the 3-1 burnt out before i could try it and as i said i just gave up and stuck with the esky TX
however i have an AR6200 RX coming and i will try it again and let you know

Paul

RMB677

Paul, I double checked on the 3 in 1 I was thinking about and they are E-Flite/Blade units. There are 3 different ones, one for a heli with tail rotor, and two for coax's. One of them seems like it should work for an E-sky, the other indicates a heading hold gyro and has the signal lead to connect to the Rx. When I make the change I'll probably give Horizon Hobby tech. support a call to ask about the one with the heading hold gyro. I have an extra Spektrum AR6115e Rx that I'll install at the same time so that I can use my DX6i with the heli. The only things that'll be guesses will be the settings, can't find any info. on where to start.

Roer

taizi

dont worry we will sort it , it is a mystery and it is just guess work, i spent most of last xmas trying everything i could think of but with limited resources

one thing i did try at the time was putting a kds flymentor on the heli, i got everything setup up and all cyclic movements were working fine but just had throttle problems

i did some digging and found this but am waiting for the new RX to arrive so i can try it, this has the wiring and dx6i settings, see if it helps

1. throttle (CH3) CP3 into throttle AR6100

2. rudder (CH4) CP3 into gear AR 6100 !!!

3. aileron servo at the rear (under the above pitch servo) CP3 into aileron AR 6100

4. elevator servo in front at the left side into elevator AR 6100

5. pitch servo at the rear (above the aileron servo) CP3 into AUX1 AR 6100

6. Now you have to program your transmitter (DX6i) :

DR/EXPO : RUDD 80% (it´s nice but not a "must")

Gyro 0 : 50% , 1 : 50% (if it rotates clockwise lower the gyro to 44-46%)

THRO CUR :

norm : 0 - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100 ; stunt : 0 - 27,5 - 55 - 77,5 - 100 ( this setting is not for 3D - it´s for beginner !! )

hold : 0 - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0

PITC CUR :

norm : 50 - 62,5 - 75 - 87,5 - 100 ; stunt : 44 - 58 - 72 - 86 - 100 ( this setting is not for 3D because of minimal negative pitch - it´s for beginner !! )

hold : 0 - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100

SWASH MIX :

AILE : +80% ; ELEV : +80% ; PITCH : -70%

the most important to get your tail working :

MIX 1 :

RUDD -> GYRO ACT
RATE D +100% U +100%
SW ON TRIM ACT

Reverse :

only PITCH has to be reversed

SWASH TYPE :

CCPM 120°

SUB TRIM :

THRO 0 , AILE -> 35
ELEV ^ 25 , RUDD 0
GYRO 0 , PITC v 25 ( these settings may vary ! )

taizi

ok an update

i have tried the above with my cp3 and ar6200 RX and ......

the cyclic works perfectly but i have absolutely no throttle or tail motor working and if i unplug the tail motor and then use the throttle i have the main motor working but it is spluttering

heeeeeeeeeeeelp !!!!!!!!! pulling hair out now lol!

lbroman

I have the same problem as you taizi. I have followed many threads on how to setup the CP3 with spektrum rx but have ran into this issue. I have been trying to solve this for two weeks now and tried the following.

Changed the 3-in-1, no change.

Connected servos to throttle and rudd/gear on both the spektrum and the esky rx to make sure I have the same signals on both. Still with the esky rx the ESC is doing what it should and with spektrum I have little to no throttle.

I have tried setting travel adjust to 125% + max sub trim on throttle + very high throttle curve. This gets the throttle going at maybe 60% at best. Rudder right slows down the main rotor and rudder left speeds it up. The Heli is "flyable" if only turning left constantly.

Testing the main rotor reactions I have found that it starts spinning when throttle is at 75%. But should start already before 25%. Throttle/rudder reverse have had strange effekts but are dangerous to test so I still avoid fiddling to much with that.

Please post back if you find a solution to your issue.

taizi

hi
no unfortunately ive had no luck and ive tried everything i could think of and all the suggestions from various threads, i have given up really on it

i might try asking Esky direct here in China, but im not confident that i will get an answer, but i will keep you posted

i genuinely believe that it is impossible to add the dx6i into this heli, and i think it is all down to the 3-1 and the way that it is programmed, i think that the CP3 was designed as a complete budget RTF package and that the 3-1 was only designed to work with the esky RX, strange as it seems, im at a loss

on the flip side, my cp3 is flying well (ish), i have added all the CNC parts and the extreme upgraded tail motor, and ive spent along time working on the flight settings
ive set the blades to 0 pitch in idle up mode, and played alot with the 3-1 mix settings, so now the heli lifts at about 30% throttle and hovers pretty flat, but i still have tail drift
when i first take off the heli drifts left abit and as the battery discharges it starts drifting right, so i land recentre the tailtrim and disconnect and reconnect the battery which seems to reset the system and the drift is then controllable

the only big problem ive had is the motor getting too hot then cuts out and its dropped out the sky like a stone a couple of times lol

sorry i cant help much with the dx6i problem but what ive done to the heli makes it fly well enough , hope that can help in some way

Top Bottom