Trucks Help Tmaxx 3.3 Issues

DustinH

I recently installed new diffs in my 3.3 Tmaxx and when I started the truck it only goes in reverse and not forward. The truck doesn't have reverse lol !!! I've been told the diffs are in upside down but I cannot find any pics or videos showing the right way to install them or which one to flip or anything!!! Please help

Tony

Staff member
They are correct, the diff's are in backwards. All you have to do is take your bulkheads apart (a pain, I know) and rotate the diffs 180º on the driveshaft input axis. So if the ring gear is on the left, you will rotate it so the ring gear is on the right. If only the front is reversed, then only do the front. If only the rear, then only the rear. If both, then both. It's easy to put them in backwards and as many times as I have installed them, I can't remember what way they are supposed to be installed lol. If I had to guess, I would say ring gear in the front on the right, in the rear on the left. But I can't remember if the transmission reverses the direction of rotation from the engine to the output driveshafts.

Tony

Staff member
Not a stupid question at all. Inside the diff's (differentials) there are two gears. You have the ring gear which is the large gear and you have the smaller gear called the pinion gear. Just like in a car which is why you always hear car guys say "Ring & Pinion". They are referring to their gears in their rear ends. For example, I have a 3.42:1 rear end in my Camaro :biggrin1:

Top Bottom