Quad Help Please Qav500

marcus621000

Hello all
Will be starting a build on Qav500,if i could get some suggestions on motor and esc choices it would be fantastic,as i am totaly confused as to what to run,Fpv manuals suggest a few motor combos,the ones i would like to get are.
Tiger MT4006
They suggest 18amp esc with simonk firmware.
My Question is i will be using a full pay load eventually being naza flight,and gps,5000 4s battery,fpv system,etc,will these motors and escs have any trouble with the weight,i would rather spend the money now for good quality motors and escs than find out latter i need bigger ones.
the height of escs aparantly cannot be over 11mm in height. 18 amps seems a little low to me
Is it better to run 14.8 volts or 11.1.
Any advise would of great help thanks.
Regards mark.

Lee

Hi Marcus,
The motors and ESCs on Tims website have been specifically chosen for the QAV. I have the FM4008s on mine with 20A Flashed escs. I can get 90kph with this set up. My friend Inaki has the same set up with Naza and GPS. There is plenty of power. The Tiger motors are the top of the range, and if i could afford them, i'd get them. But the FPV Manuals copies of the Tiger are a good compromise. They are made for FM by Tiger just with lower quality bearings. I will be changing my FM4008s for these this summer.
I would suggest a smaller battery though. I have two 5000mahbatteries and although they fly, they don't balance well and at speed they really cause havoc with the CG. I would recommend getting 3500 or 4000 at the most. Then you can fly them individually for fast flights and in parallel if you want longer flight times.
Definitely go 4S not 3S. More power and your electrics run cooler.

marcus621000

Thanks Lee
4s will be the way i go,thought as much just wanted to confirm this,thanks.
The Mt4006 motors they are tiger motors not copys,as they are quite expensive from fpv manuals
they also state to use 18amp esc is this true.
As i will be running nazza fc and gps i thought it might be better to use nazza escs,is this a good idea.

Lee

These are the motors i was talking about. The FM4006 They are made by Tiger for FPV manuals. Exactly the same as the MT4006 but with cheaper bearings. At $30 less per motor, its a great option. The 18A ESCs are fine. My friend has them on his with the FM4008 motors running 10x5 Graupner props, Naza with GPS, Gopro on a gimble and two 3300mah 4S batteries. He did try the DJI ESCs and wasn't happy with them. They didn't have any pop and were slow to respond.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm using FM4008 with 18 plushes NAZA GPS and 4s 5000 fpv gear and go pro. No problem. She is a little tail heavy thought but flys great!

Tasajara

Lee, want steer you wrong...always good advice..

If you can get the Flashed ESC's you would like them better ... Greater throttle response.
I have the MT-4006 motors... even though I have not finished my QAV, I have flown the Tiger motors
on my other quads and they work great. If funds are tight go with the FM-4006-13 740kv
But as of now they are out of stock :sorrow:
I do like the bolt on prop adapters better than collet style myself.
You can also get the CCW prop adapters for the CW turning motors.
These keeps the nuts from spinning off. Just use the CW adapters that come with the motors for the CCW spinning motors.
Either way you can't go wrong with the pankcake style motors for the QAV.
No matter which one you chose... Tiger Motors MT-4006-13 740KV,FM-4006-13 740kv, or FM4008 620KV .
If you do use a collet style prop adapter, I put a small drop of Blue Locktight on the motor shaft slide the collet on and give it a little spin the tighten it down.
This will help hold the collet in place. I have never had the collet come off once I did this little step. But I have had one come off before I did this and it wasn't pretty LOL

Time to go get started on my QAV now....:excitement:

marcus621000

Lee i have been looking at fpvmanuals site again and like the F30escs with the simonk firmware will these be ok with mt4006 motors i know they are 30 amp but i would rather a little bigger with the heat here in australia at times, have you heard any bad things of these Escs. or anyone else.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
You need to stick with what's recommended. It will work fine. Also there is limited space in the dirty frame where the esc are mounted. They have to fit in there. Tim spent many long hours testing the QAV frame to come up with the best possible components. You can definitely trust his recommendations!

marcus621000

Thanks breeze
i guess i am looking at either tiger 30amp esc which has a program card or the 30amp esc at fpv as you have seen,i was reading and tim said that Mt4006 motors dont like flashed escs is this true,thats why fm motors were made to overcome this.???.
can flashed simonk units be used.
I just want a little bit bigger esc that works fine with mt4006 what are your thoughts.
Price is no object.i am running nazza with gps and gopro all the usual stuff.

Lee

If you are getting the Tiger motors, then get the tiger ESCs. They are made to match. As long as they are less than 11mm high, they will go between the frames. Send Tim an email if you want to be sure they fit. He's very quick at getting back to you.

Lee

On 4S the max Amps with a 10x5 are probably no more than 15A. And its very rare that you would hit that, cause you never fly at 100% throttle. Its hot here in Spain too and i'm sure you've seen the videos from Juz in Melbourne. He uses the 18A ESCs, mine are 20A

Top Bottom