Projects Help me!

MelvinTM

I found A crashed plane IT had a motor and all the servo's i was looking to buy a new battery and an esc what one's do i buy?
(The plane was a redbull of some kind)

RandyDSok

Which batteries and ESC will depend on the motor and it's specs like amp draw and voltage requirements.... the battery size will also depend on available space in the plane.

So the place to start is to find out what make and model the motor is and that will let you look up what it's specs are. Many motors will let you use different voltages, so the prop size ( length and pitch ) will also come into play when selecting batteries.

MelvinTM

Which batteries and ESC will depend on the motor and it's specs like amp draw and voltage requirements.... the battery size will also depend on available space in the plane.

So the place to start is to find out what make and model the motor is and that will let you look up what it's specs are. Many motors will let you use different voltages, so the prop size ( length and pitch ) will also come into play when selecting batteries.
Where on the motor is it?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Welcome to the forum Melvin. How about taking a picture and posting it up to help you out.

RandyDSok

I can't help with that photo since it shows nothing marked on it ( perhaps it's under the mount but can't say for certain )... but it does bring up something important for me to mention. Look for a set of 4 numbers a dash and a couple of other numbers... something like XXXX-XX or XXXX-XXX etc. These will be the model number of the motor. Of course, other combinations including letters may be involved, just trying to point you at what to look for.

Please note how there is an angle set on the mount the motor is attached too. It is important that the motor is mounted back in the airplane the same way it was taken out. So write down which way that was before you forget it.

That angle is set in that direction to help offset the torque of the motor when applying throttle.

The motor has 3 power leads. That means it is a brushless motor so when you do figure out what motor it is... the ESC you get will also need to be a brushless one. So now you know the general type of motor which is a start at least.

Photo tip... Place whatever you are taking a photo of... on something contrasting ... like a white piece of paper perhaps. Camera's use contrast between lines and a backgound on a subject to achieve a focus. If your camera shows a center circle or square, place that on one of the contrasting lines and the camera should focus in that area. The more light you have in a picture, the easier it will be for the camera to find the contrasting lines I mentioned.

RandyDSok

Ok... since the RC hobby is really as much DIY as it is of any premade kits... It's probably not a good idea to make any assumptions at all, allthough, a motor without any markings sort of sounds like it was included in some kit, but again, let's not assume here.

So in light of that... lets also mention there is no one type of Redbull airplane. In even the real fleet of aircraft that the actual Redbull racers use, they have used several. It's more of a paint scheme then than a specific type of aircraft.

On the motor you posted a pic of... we'd only be lucky if someone recognises it with so many makes/models that exist in the hobby.

Back to the motor... Look at the prop for markings also. These will indicate the size and pitch of the prop just for some added info to base any educated guesses we may make later.

I'm going to also suggest getting a pic of the airplane itself then... that may be slightly easier to recognise than the motor since if it was a kit, then pictures of it may exist to get a clue from. In short, if a kit can be recognised and specs found... then we may be able to find out what motor and ESC they used or recommended.

If nothing is found out that we can make a guess about the motor, ESC etc on... Once the model itself is repaired and you can get the weight and size info... then we can look at what may be approximate good replacements that could be used. At that point, the original motor would have to be set aside if we can't figure it out during this time and would hope that later you may stumble across the info so you could use it later on if needed for some other project or as a possible replacement once more info is known.

RandyDSok

The prop sizes are = 12x6 and 305x152 that helps?

The numbers... the first is in imperial ( ie inches ) and metric.... they are telling you the same thing though.

Of course it helps but only in a general way. At this point, you don't even have a general idea of what the motor is, so any info helps later when you learn more info about it. A motor will have different size of recommended props depending on the number of cells the battery uses. The more cells, the higher the voltage and the faster a motor will turn. So later if you do find out what motor it is, we can look at the recommended prop sizes for what battery voltage you end up running. This also helps select an ESC later. Of course, a bunch of motors will use that size prop, so this is just some added info that may come in handy later.

Oh, while at it... the size of the prop also comes into play on the model itself. We know the prop can't be too long compared to how tall the model sits off of the ground. Again, as I mentioned, it's only some general info that may come into play when trying to make some educated guesses about everything else.

Top Bottom