Prop Help me find a Motor, ESC, and Prop!!!

Alexander8046

Hi,
I have built a Spitfire plane and when I tried flying it with a 8*7 prop, 2200kv motor, 30A ESC, and a 3s LiPo the ESC started smoking and almost burning:evil:.
Not a good start to the hobby...
Here are its specs:
Wingspan: 110cm
Wing depth: 21cm
H Stabiliser Span: 34cm
H Stabiliser Depth: 12cm
Max Prop Size: 9" (Maybe?)
Weight without motor, prop, or ESC: 650g
I have practiced on Phoenix 5.0 and therefore want it to be able to fly quite fast with lots of aerobatics.
I can probably work out the needed ESC but i would like to know the motor and prop.
Thanks, I really appreciate any help.
Alexander

Smoggie

Hi Alexander, welcome to RC-Help.

Your motor Kv is far too high, i did a quick calc and you were probably trying to pull over 90A through the ESC so no surprise that it smoked!

Assuming that your motor is also rated for at least 30A then you should be looking at a 1400-1500Kv (max) motor. Maybe also drop down a little on prop pitch too to an 8x6 or 8x5. You should always check a new system with a wattmeter to make sure that you arent exceeding the amp rating of the ESC or motor.

On a different subject.. If you havent flown RC before a Spitfire is not a suitable first plane. Even if you have done lots of sim flying it's unlikely to prepare you, sims are ok but they aren't the same as the real thing. You should be looking to get a trainer or be prepared for many many crashes!

Good luck

Last edited:

Smoggie

Would this motor, 8*7 prop and a 30A ESC do the job, or do I need a higher ESC or lower prop pitch?
D2826/10 1400kv BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER ELECTRIC MOTOR | eBay
Alex

That motor is only rated for 21A, this 'should' be enough to fly the plane but you would have to prop down. The listing suggests a 7"x4" prop with a 3s battery. It should fly ok but wouldn't be a 'rocket'.
Alternatively in you want speed get a larger motor (about 100g weight motor) with higher current rating, but you would probably want a larger ESC to go with it. If your ESC 'smoked' then it's almost certainly toast anyway.

What is the full spec of the battery you are using?

if you were going for a larger motor

Top Bottom