Kits Help me decide

callsign4223

Staff member
Hello Guys, I can't decide what plane to get and I need your input please. Thanks to a great deal on craigslist I have gotten myself a Multiplex Acromaster ARF kit with most of the electronics already bought(I got it in a lot). The problem I have is that this plane is foam and the other plane I was really looking at was an extra 260 wood, probably from e-flite. I could sell this acromaster kit and have the money I need for the extra, or I could just keep the acromaster and put it together. What should I do???? I don't know enough to know if this thing being foam instead of wood is a big deal. All the reviews of it I have seen online seem to be positive. I just don't want to go into a snap roll or something and have a wing break off. Help me rc-help, your my only hope.

Tony

Staff member
Post a picture of what you have now. I have been looking at craigs list for a while and never saw that one. I know there is one guy in Edmond that is selling a whole bunch of planes from nitro trainers to micro 3D plane but he just wants too much for his stuff. Post up what you have and then we can go from there.

Tony

Staff member
I can tell you one thing, that is not a good beginner lol. That plane is more of a precision flier rather than a 3D plane though. It will do some snap rolls but as you were worried about, there is a good chance if you are going too fast that you will remove a wing and have to land in a knife edge lmao.

If you like the plane, then fly it. If you don't like foam (like me) then sell it and get what you want. hell, you make enough of an offer on one of my planes and I will sell them lmao. I just think Balsa flies so much better than foam. Looks better as well. I have found some pretty good deals on balsa kits, but they are just that, a kit.

callsign4223

Staff member
I do kinda want to do a kit of my own. I haven't built any of my stuff from the ground up yet and it shows in my internal heli knowledge.

Tony

Staff member
if you want to build your own kit, we can make that happen. Just remember, there is 40+ hours in a good plane. I know you have not seen my Telemaster, but you have seen my ARF kits. Just let me know what you are interested in building and I will help you out. what I mean is, do you want 3D or a trainer. Fast or slow? I'm pretty sure that I can use my DX8 and your DX6i and do a buddy box type of deal if you want for the first few flights. so if you get something above the beginner level you will know there is a good chance of bringing it back to the earth safely. Just let me know.

callsign4223

Staff member
I really like the way your extra 260 looked, so those were the kits I was looking at. E-flite has an extra 260 ARF kit on amazon for $130. I would like to get one for closer to $100, but that is splitting hairs at that point also. I know that some sort of high-wing trainer would probably be better to start, but for some reason I can't ever bring myself to start on the easy stuff(exhibit A, started into heli's with a MCPx). If the 260 is so far out of my league that I can't fly it, then I also had some e-flite super cubs in that lot. They are the old 72mhz version, but with an orange rx I think they would work in a pinch to learn on. The time building a kit doesn't bother me, I think I would actually enjoy it. My job is mostly mental, so working with my hands is relaxing to me.

Tony

Staff member
41" Edge 540 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMUX5&P=0

My 50" Edge on sale http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVEL2&P=0

This would be a great kit trainer http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNW26&P=0

Another good kit http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJT0&P=0

58" 300S kit http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJ579&P=0

There are thousands of more kits out there, it just depends on what you want. We can get you into a 3D plane, the second link was my first plane and I have not crashed it yet other than folding those landing gears. so we can get you into the air. It's just too bad that Fliton doesn't sell that extra kit anymore lol. Another place to look is 3D Hobby Shop. They have some great planes, but you pay for that great plane. However, I think my next plane will be one of their 78" Edge 540's with a 30cc gas engine. Again, you get what you pay for.

callsign4223

Staff member
Wow, that site is awesome. That was exactly what I was looking for. I think what I'm gonna do is build up the acromaster and see how I like it. If nothing else, I will use it to get my feet wet for a few flights then sell it. Maybe I can get more for it built anyway?

Tony

Staff member
Unless you get your AMA and club membership, I'm not sure how I would help out. And just remember the saying... It's not IF you crash, it's WHEN... lol.

Tony

Staff member
When you sign up, there should be somewhere on the application to put my AMA number. Just put 975458 on there.

Tony

Staff member
No, it's $58 no matter if you get it in January or December. Renewal is Jan. 1 though. Unless you got the 3 month membership that's only $20.

Top Bottom