Servos Help me choose servos

stokke

I'm currently trying to figure out which servos to use on my JR 600 size.
As far as I know, the rudder servo must be faster than the cyclics - and that's all I know about servos. LOL

Starting off I wanted to go with JR servos seeing the bird is JR, but now I've come to a point where it doesn't matter. So I guess I will be going with Futabas, but if you have any other good suggestions; come with'em!

I also want them to be HV (high voltage 7,4V) so they can be run directly on 2S lipo. This narrows the alternatives down, as most rudder servos today are for 4,8V. It should also be taken into consideration that they are to be used in aggressive 3D.

As of now I'm at no.5 for cyclic, and no.4 for rudder.

What you think?

servoc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah; and please try educate me (and others) on the subject if you want.

Lee

Check out the SAVOX range of servos. Very good quality. They actually make the servos for Align. I know a few guys using them on there 700 Goblins and really like them. I have had a few on the tails of my helis and they work well.
As for speed you have the right ones there no5 cyclic, no4 Tail.

stokke

Thanks, Lee.

Looks like Savox offers servos with roughly the same specs, but at a nicer price.
So I'm throwing them into the mix.

savoxc.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm to use Savox I'd go with no.7 for cyclic, and no.9 for rudder.

murankar

Staff member
that's what I have also. Savox all around. They do how ever cost a tad more than align. If you go to savox's web site they offer flight packs for each class. I think they offer a discount for the packages.

Tony

Staff member
I would try to add something but I think it's been covered lol. Great members here I tell ya.

If I could say anything it's to go with metal gear, .10 or faster with 200+oz/in for the cyclic and a carbon gear, .06 or faster and torque doesn't really matter for the tail. You will want to run a coreless motor on the tail as they are faster, but that brushless may be close to the same. And .03 is FRIGGIN' FAST lol.

I have heard great things about the Savox servos and you can't go wrong with them.

stokke

Yeah, that Savöx rudder servo is incredibly fast. I really like this brand. They outmatch the Futabas in both specs AND price!

BUT, my problem is this; after doing a bit snooping around, I can find no dealer which will send to Norway with "edited" content value. So I'll have to pay 25% tax on both hardware and freight cost - as well as "tax handling charges". Then the Futabas start to look more tempting again, because they can be shipped from China, a country which is well known for their value trickery :D ;)

But then there is also the option to maybe get some "tax help" from my new found American friends on this forum perhaps? ;)

stokke

How would we give you "Tax Help"?

Say the servos were to cost 500 bucks. I'd pay that, then have them sent to you. And from what I gather, you don't have to pay anything extra since you live in the US, right? Then you'd send them to Norway and declare the value to a lot less than 500 bucks, and I'd not have to pay any tax.

But I'm at the Savöx site now, and the tax isn't gonna be that bad, actually they're ending up cheaper than the Futabas:

Futaba from flying-hobby (China) 624 USD + NO TAX = 624 USD.
Savöx from Savöx site (US) 495 USD + 124 USD (TAX) = 619 USD.

I'm definitely leaning towards Savöx :D

Tony

Staff member
ah I see. Yeah we have no tax on anything like that... Yet. I remember Lee getting hounded with taxes in Spain on his 600. I think it doubled his cost on the heli.

stokke

Since our Norwegian currency is so strong, it's very good business to shop internationally - but it stops to be good business as soon as our merchandise reaches the border and we'll have to pay insane tax :(

flysolo

I have had some orders from Amain that slipped through without problem. Then one order that was just 25$ got picked up by customs.. had to pay additional 25% VAT and then they added another 20$ for handling. Just not right.

stokke

This is why I avoid shopping at stores like Amain, because they don't offer reduced tax values. Flying hobby and Hobbyking has a dedicated step for tax during the checkout < BRILLIANT :D

flysolo

I have to try one of those next time. I like Amain because they have low prices and good service and they don't charge anything for international shipping (ups innovations) so I can make small orders. Now I get most of the stuff from fast-lad. 3 days delivery and no VAT but the shipping is so high I always end up ordering more than I need to even out the shipping cost :)

flysolo

No but they are brittish and we never pay any VAT or customs fees when ordering from countries in the EU

Top Bottom