Hello

Hi, my name is Keith. I am a 13 year old RC plane and helicopter pilot. I have a few RC's including a T-Rex 250SE and a 60" Foam Yak 54. I have been in the hobby for about 3 years. I fly helicopters more than planes but I do still fly planes sometimes. My T-Rex 250SE I got from someone on RealFlight. They said they crashed it and didn't feel like fixing it, so they just gave it to me, payed shipping even. I spent $100 to repair it... including a $13 gyro. That cheap gyro held up pretty well hovering and in light wind, but I flew it in 10+ MPH wind and it couldn't handle it. It crashed and the following broke:

Feathering Shaft
Brand New Pair of Carbon Fiber Blades
Stripped Servo Gear (Elevator Servo)
Flybar Bent
Scratched Canopy
Bent Head Button

So, all in all, not a ton of damage. Next time I have it in the air it will be with a Spartan Quark gyro. :)
As I said, the cheap Gyro held up okay, but not in wind. It holds a better in a larger heli like a 450, 250's are very picky gyro wise.

Happy Flying,

Keith
BladeScraper

Tony

Staff member
Welcome brohamsamich! Great to have you on here. That 250 is a great heli if you can get it setup correctly and it sounds like you did. The Quark will be a great gyro, just make sure to put something like the Align DS425 on the tail. With that gyro, you have to run a digital servo back there or it will burn up an analog servo. If the Quark is out of your price range, look at the Align GP790 gyro, yet another great gyro that the heli would come with in a super combo.

As always, if you have questions, all you have to do is ask and we will help out.

Oh, and a 60" foam Yak? Wow, that is a LOT of foam lmao. Make sure to post some videos of them flying and some pictures of them in your hangar!

Thanks Tony
As for the servo on he tail, I already have a digital servo, it's a DS420.
And the Quark, I have seen them go used for $30-$50 so tht shouldn't be an issue...

The 60" foamy is definitely something...
1/5 Scale Yak 54 Profile Foamy - RC Groups
Need to re-glue the ESC on and make sure everything is working correctly. I will hopefully have a video as soon as I can.

Tony

Staff member
Ah yeah, that is a great servo for the tail. It's just an older version of the 425 and works great. And you are right, you can find just about any gyro for that price if you look hard enough. Can't wait to see it in the air.

Thanks man. Just started a new project, a 25" foamy with that HobbyKing 1612 3300Kv motor. That motor is LOUD, but it sure is powerful! Using those HobbyKing 2.2g servos and OrangeRX R415. Turnigy Plush 6A ESC.

Got to fly at least two different 25" foamies at a fly in last Sunday and love them both. Really stable. Will try to get pics of the completed ones, and mine when I start it.

Top Bottom