hello

baylis

hello all:yahoo:I'm dave from uk, it all started when a friend gave me a honey bee v2 six years ago, he could not fly it, so I tried too, you've guessed it I couldn't & put it back in the box never to be see again, due to work & wife, then last year I retired from work bored stiff I brought phoenix sim & a trex 450 sport v2 kit, & dx9, ive nearly finished it only pitch & throttle curves to be done, I hope to pick a few tips of all you guys & galls.:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Admiral

Welcome to the forum Dave, the SIM is the best move you could have made, and the T-Rex & DX9 is pretty good as well.

Sounds like your well on your way and there's plenty of help available here.

Smoggie

Hi Dave,

I'm in the UK too, but way 'up north'. Sounds like you have given some thought to your purchases, you should be well set. The best single bit of advice I can give you is to find a club or an experienced flying buddy to at least help you over the setup of the heli and the initial learning curve. Sims are good tools but they aren't quite the same as 'real life' and they don't teach you anything about setting up the heli. Without a heli that's properly configured and adjusted even a prop would struggle.

I'm sure there are clubs in your area, you could check the BMFA 'club finder' web page: http://www.clubmap.bmfa.org/

If you were ever in the Aberdeen area I'd be only to happy to help but it's a long way to come for a couple of flights!

Steve

baylis

hi smoogie, thanks for the advise, yes its a bit to far lol, there are a few rc clubs around here I will go and have a look, ive been building the 450 sport a bit at a time following the manual & finless bob & youtube videos also forums like this, been on the sim about 6 months now, still crash now and again, lol

Smoggie

Dave, It sounds like you have been taking it very methodically, you might be ok going it alone. It's certainly possible to lean 'solo' but usually it's a lot less painful with some help, more fun too if you have someone to share it with.

baylis

hi smoggie, I will have a look a round at a some clubs, thanks for the advise much appreciated,

Hi Dave,
Have you managed to find yourself a club yet? I'm from Walsall and fly from Sutton Coldfield radio control aero club (SCRCAC), based in Fradley up the A38. Other options are Staffs heli club, think they are in penkridge
Regards
Chris

baylis

hi chris, not found club yet still looking around, does your club allow helis ? thanks dave

Yes Dave it takes helis. Half and half really but you need to have a sense of humour to fly the heli side. We have some of the older guys that fly planes that think we shouldn't be allowed in the air... lol. Bit of the "Uncle Albert" attitude to us younger blokes who like to have a bit of fun if you know what I mean (I say younger but some of our heli guys are retired too). You will be unable to find a heli flying location in Walsall as the council passed a by law banning us rotary wing dudes as according to a local plane club they were deemed dangerous.
Check out my YouTube page to see us having a laugh and flying etc...

https://www.youtube.com/user/hadley1973

Chris

Smoggie

You will be unable to find a heli flying location in Walsall as the council passed a by law banning us rotary wing dudes as according to a local plane club they were deemed dangerous.
Nice example of RC hobbyists working together for the common good (not!)

baylis

hi chris just watched your videos looks like you have a lot of fun , nice heli by the way, I don't mine having a laugh anytime, ill have to come and have chat with you guys and see whats what, if you dont mind, as for the helis, are only dangerous in the wrong hands, look at gun, knifes,

No worries Dave,
Were up there nearly every weekend just pop up when you want for a chat. As for dangerous... only if you don't stick to safe use but you can thank the guys at Greenacres club who fly planes for the bylaw as I'm led to believe they had friends in high places at the time and are non heli club

baylis

thanks chris ill pop up the weekend if weather is ok, it only takes one to upset the apple cart lol

Top Bottom