Hello

frankplanes

My name is Gordy and I have been flying RC for more than thirty years. When I began my Dad was the builder and I was the flier. Unfortunately, he is gone now, but I am still flying his models. Yes, I am still flying a 34 year old Telemaster and it is in great shape! I was not blessed with the skill of building so, my newest airplane that Dad built is a Super Aeromaster constructed in 1988. All of my planes are running on nitro, but would like to learn more about electric and do a gradual conversion for some of my planes. I have been gradually updating my radios over time.

Derek

Hi there, Gordy! Welcome to the forum! It's amazing what we can learn from our Dad's. I'd love to see a picture or flight video of your Telemaster. Glad to have you here!

If you are looking to make some electric conversions, I'm sure we can help you out. Take your time and browse the forum. When you are ready to post your questions, find the Airplane section of the forum and post your questions. We'll surely be around to help.

Lee

Welcome to the forum Gordy.
Lets see some pictures of your fleet. And video if you have it. :thumbsup:

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Getting into electric can be quite frustrating at first, that's for sure. I was there as well. But, post up your questions and we will help out.

:welcome1:

Admiral

Welcome to the forum Gordy, good to see the old gear still in service after so long, says a lot for your fathers building ability and your flying.

frankplanes

Hello all, thanks for the welcome! I will definitely have questions as I begin to learn about electric flight. I have been experimenting with a POV camera so I will be able to eventually post some aerial video, but I don't have any of my planes from the ground. I'll work on that. I will also post a few photos of my collection as I pull them from the hanger. For now, here is a picture of My Dad's Red Zephyr he built in 1980. I restored it a little over a year ago, so as you can see I can do some work. Just not at the skill level of Dad. Maybe I should say, not yet.
Zephyr.jpg

Zephyr.jpg

wolfman76

WELCOME TO THE RCHELP FAMILY GORDY! !!! And might I say that is a very clean and gorgeous zephyr

dwmoore

Welcome, Gordy! Electrics have come a long way since you started, and conversions would work well, especially in your lighter aircraft. Beautiful Zephyr!

frankplanes

Well, this project was two years in the making for various reasons, but really a pretty simple conversion from nitro to electric in my Zephyr. My major issue was determining the CG and balancing it properly. I did need to add a bit of weight to the nose, but not much. I could have achieved balance without adding by building the motor out a bit, but wanted to keep it tucked into the cowl. Here are some pictures of the final results. Sorry for the poor aerial shot, I took this picture myself as I was flying. The end result was better than I could imagine, this plane is meant for electric.
FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_0675.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0675.JPG

Top Bottom