Hello - New to helis

mooserider

Hi all, I'm new to the forums, and to helicopters. I've built and flown planes since I was young, starting with line-controlled planes. I love building kits and have made a ton of planes. Some favorites were a Super Sportster and a Kaos. I have a size 90 Biplane that's almost done currently. It will be my first 4-stroke, with a YS110. I also built two car kits when I was young. I use to race them on weekends with my brother.

I have always wanted to build a helicopter and the Trex 450 I'm working on now is my first. It was fun to build, but the electronics are far beyond anything I've ever had to deal with in an airplane or car.

I found the site via the youtube videos on setting up the 3GX with a Spektrum (I have the airplane version of the DX7). It was really helpful!

mooserider

I was testing things out a little this morning after making all the changes and setting up the 3GX and noticed two things... there's a good deal of vibration and shaking at certain RPMs, around 30 or 40% throttle. At 50% it goes away. It could just be that I had it clamped down so it wouldn't go anywhere. But also, some of the teeth on the large main gear are chewed up a little. About a week ago, I had a the blades come off because I had forgotten to tighten them down properly. I think that stripped some of the teeth up. I'm guessing I should replace that now, even though it's spinning up fine?

I took a video to upload, but it's too big (even though it was like 8 seconds).

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my gosh, nothing like replying to the wrong thread! Sorry folks. Doesn't look like I can edit/delete that post.

Thanks for the welcome!

Lillyryan

Welcome. you will have to change that main gear for sure. Also if it is clamped down tight the 3gx could be fighting with its self a little.

mooserider

Thanks! Ya I just created an account on amain.com and ordered a set of 3, a second battery, and another 80 bucks or so of replacement stuff for the future. I took if off the mount today to try it out again after I had the tail rotor working well and it was a lot less shaky. Still a little vibration though. Gonna check the blades and see if they're balanced right later (they're cheapo replacements).

Lillyryan

Sounds like you will be fine once new gear installed. Cheap blades can cause a little vibration anyway. Next time you spool it up see if you can eye the blades through to make sure they are tracking ok.

Top Bottom