600 Hello, I’m New Here...

Hello all. Just found this forum and WOW,... joined! I just watched “The Complete Fly Bar Set-Up” over on YouTube and I did learn a lot. I’ve been messing around with these things for over 30 years so it’s always a good thing when you learn new stuff. I do have a question. If you heli is NOT 120 or 140 CCPM and just a normal swash, how do I adjust the collective cyclic pitch? Is there a video on that somewhere? I fly with my Spektrum DX18 and it has adjustment menus I’ve never even used before. Currently, I just finished a Raptor 30V2 and will be flying her real soon and would like to learn this “collective + cyclic pitch” thing. After this, I’ll be getting my JR Vibe 90SG ready for the sky. Talk about excited!

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Steve!

The "Normal" swash will have one servo for right/left, and one servo for forward/backward, then you will, in most cases, have a servo that will control the collective pitch. These are really old style heads, as everything is done through the swash now days. I have never actually set one of these up, but you should have settings with a normal swash of aileron and elevator, but also throttle and pitch. Throttle will be motor or head speed, pitch will be that servo that adjust the collective pitch.

I know there have been some on here that have set these up. I think @Admiral has set these up before, but not sure. That tag will call him in here if he sees the notification.

And please excuse the mess. I'm working on some site issues, so things like the Articles are currently turned off right now. I should have everything back up soon.

:welcome1:

Admiral

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum, sorry I can't help in this instance I have only ever used 120 CCPM prior to going FBL, I do remember somebody being given an older Helicopter with the 4 Servo setup but I can't remember who or if he was successful or not.

There may be something in the archives but it would be 4 or 5 years back.

Tony

Staff member
Thanks Keith, I was not sure if you had done this or not. Thanks for posting back.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
:emohi: Steve. If I'm correct doesn't heliman 450 have a 4 servo setup on his Velo? I know the velo is a newer heli but maybe he can help. Just

Thanks for posting back guy! Other forums I’m a member of aren’t so forthcoming to share info and then just try and be little you for some reason. Ive never understood that. When I was a flight instructor for Spartan, I always told my students The only stupid question is the one not asked for that is forever, lost knowledge.
I didnt realize that most helis now a days were 120 ccpm, now I feel old...lol. I have been messing around with these things for 30+ years though and I have learned A LOT! I had just never heard the term “Collective Pitch” until the other day and it got me to thinking. I then took my Raptor and observed it. Sure enough, with a positive pitch input held and then a right aileron input applied and I can see that one of the blades increase in pitch. I always thought it was rotor disk deflection because the opposite blade decreases in pitch. I still need to read more about “collective pitch”. Any good reading resources y’all know of?
And thanks once again.

(edit: I meant to say “Cyclic Pitch” in the paragraph above, not collective)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Not sure on where you can read about collective pitch, however I would check out some "real" helicopter articles. I may try to write something up about it. Guess I have taken it for granted after I learned how these helicopters work (which is what actually got me into the heli/plane part of the hobby lol)

Oops, sorry all. My terminology was wrong there. “Cyclic Pitch” is what Im referring to. Collective I understand. I had one small fixed pitch heli a long time ago... will never go there again.

Smoggie

The Raptor 30V2 has mechanical mixing, so you don't need any swash mixing in the Tx (it's similar to a flybarless heli in that respect). Just set the swash type to 'normal' or 'single servo'

Top Bottom