Hello From North Augusta, SC

JB_Orchidguy

Hi everyone. I'm glad I found this place. I've wanted to fly RC planes for years, but have always been afraid to invest the money. Then I found the foam board planes on YouTube. I then found Tony's RC-help trainer video. That it what lead me here. That of course was AFTER I had already purchased a RTF plane from hobby town in Augusta, GA. I will hopefully never have to go back to that store. I went there looking to get a radio, motor and servos, etc to build a foam plane. Well they had an Ares decathlon 350 RTF for $85 and I purchase two extra batteries. The salesman said this is a trainer and buying all the others parts I wanted would cost over $250 with them. Well, needless to say, flying this plane is pretty easy, but landing is still a biznatch. So far I have broken 5 props, ripped the landing gear off twice and the wings off once. Its all fixed and I still do have a full intact flyable plane. LOL But this is not a true beginner plane. The only flying experience prior to this plane was some mini gyro heli, micro quad and mini quad flight experience. IDK anyone who fly's RC planes to learn from in this area so I rely on YouTube how to's. I have been fascinated with some of the DIY trainers and really liked Tony's from RC-help. I also liked Flite test's trainer. I have 4 kids and 3 are old enough to fly, so I think I will be building 4 new planes in the future, one for me and each of the older kids. Then of course other foam board planes are daydreamed about after I get comfortable flying and LANDING. LOL I really think part of the problem is the small open fields I have been trying to land in, so part of the non landing is my fault, but I will learn and get a hang of it I think. Then of course I also have dreams of building a DJI 550 hexacopter with GPS and gopro gimble. One day. I am still researching equipment and learning how to use things like a real charger and setting up a radio and all that. So again I am glad Tony has taken the time to explain radio setups for at least the spektrum radios he has used. With the selection of radios, receivers, flight controllers, motors, etc available the task of choosing is daunting. So Thanks for all the help out there.

JB

Tony

Staff member
Hey JB, welcome to RCH! The RCH Trainer is a fantastic little plane, and I'm not just saying that because I designed it, that is coming from all of the people that have built and flown it. If you are needing some "training", then put some dihedral in to that wing and the thing will almost fly itself. Once you are comfortable flying it, build a second wing that is straight across. This will allow for easier inverted flying, and rolls. Then, if you want a lot of fun, cut about 5" off of each wing tip. Then this plane turns into a little speed demon that is a blast to fly!

As for the Tx, I chose spektrum because they are one of the cheapest 'reliable' brands out there and they work great. You can go cheaper, but without knowing how to edit the source code, you will never really get it to do what you want. But with Spektrum, they just work.

No matter what the question, if you have one, post it up and we will help.

:welcome1:

JB_Orchidguy

Thanks Tony! I'm sure I will have lots to questions. I want a radio that I can use for all the planes just by switching profiles. I'd like to be able to get telemetry but that's not a need for the first flying I guess. I like the radios with the screens on the bottom. The Spektrums are nice. Just debating if I should get a cheaper one for these first planes considering the kids will be flying them too and just invest in a nicer one I the future if I decide it's something to keep doing and the kids really like it. Because buying components for 4 planes is going too be an upfront cost too. I already have one expensive hobby. Lol but I really like RC stuff too. Not just planes, but I want to do multitotors, cars, boats and etc. Again just daydreams, but who knows. Most of the battle is getting started.

Tony

Staff member
One of the best Tx's that you can start out with is the DX6. It's a newer generation, much like my DX9, has a backlight on the screen (unlike the old DX6i) and it will hold 250 models. When you want to give that one to the kids, then you can upgrade to the DX8 of DX9 and that should be the last Tx you purchase. I know I have no plans to upgrade any time soon! And, they all have wireless buddy box so you don't have to run a wire to use them.

JB_Orchidguy

Thanks for that Info Tony. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend, but i think all and all it will be worth it though. I still have a little more reading to do for sure. I think it will give me time to get the plane built and all. I think flying FPV on a plane will be cool as well, but I wouldn't want to risk it without a failsafe with GPS to turn the plane around if accidentally fly out of range. Does that exist?

Tony

Staff member
Yes it does exist, but they are quite expensive. More so than the Tx, that's for sure.

JB_Orchidguy

i know it exists for multirotors and that didn't seem to be that expensive. it must be a different system for planes then? I don't have a problem spending once I know how to fly and land without wrecking things. :biglaugh: I would just hate to spend that kind of money and then only fly a few times. I fly my skyviper quad a lot. But the range and streaming video on it is very disappointing to say the least. Yes I know I am all over the place. multirotors to planes and back. LOL Once I get a decent radio, it will be easier to transition to multi and back to planes and all that good stuff. Can the DX6 be used on ground based models too? I don't like the steering wheel radios.

Tony

Staff member
It can, but your range is severely reduced. I would never use an Air Tx on a ground vehicle.

JB_Orchidguy

I remember as a kid having a radio for a hobby car I had that had the two sticks vs the steering wheel type of radio. Do they sell a ground radio that with the two sticks vs steering wheel?

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure. I have always used pistol grip Tx's for racing. I started out on the Airtronics M8 and now I use the Spektrum DX3R

Top Bottom