General Helicopters with Gas engines .. Gassers ... :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Alright..

So.. yes.. I am all fuel helis and yes nitro has been and still will be what I love. But I gotta try and learn something new... and I gotta see how I can still throw down on my helis with cheaper fuel. a tenth a gallon cheaper!! lol

So .. I got the gasser bug too! :) So.. i have hard into researching for past few months. Seeing the Goblin 700 Gasser didnt help the itch.

NO I AM NOT BUILDING A Goblin 700 .. YET.. lol .. but this thread is not for that. this thread is for educating anyone looking to get into the Gasser helis, what they will need to know .What terminology.. makers.. frames, conversions etc etc etc.

I am noobie still. dont get me wrong. But I know we dont have a lot of people here doing Gas helis here yet and we sure dont have a ton of info here on them.

So .. First things first:

Helicopters .. Frames (Donors / stock gassers).. Some of the readily available ones.. :

Trex 600
Trex700
Fury 55
Whiplash Gasser (the best gasser heli ever made.. tood bad Miniature went under)
Century Radikals
Gaui NX4
etc.. and few more...

Engine manufacturers for rc heli gassers:

Zenoah Engines --- 20cc all the way through 30cc . Stock ones are a bit heavy, less HP and torque values.. not exteremyl precisely balanced.. So people sometimes buy the high output modified motors from modifiers listed below.
OS engines -- GT15HZ 15cc , GT15HZ-600 (motor with crank shortened for 600 helis).. These motors at this moment.. when I write this thread, are unreliable, and short lived. Wrist pins holding the piston rod is coming off and destroying the inside. OS is working on a fix though.. So no worries. Just not something I would buy yet.. Still waiting on good reports, or people flying 10 gallons without a hiccup..
Gaui T-10 (10CC)

Engine Modifiers :

TRM (Toxic Racing motors.. by Toxic Al) motors are Zenoahs.. modified and named TRM ****

BH Hanson (by Mr. Hanson) again Zenoah motors.. modified and named BH ***

Both are great motor modifiers. They cut and polish the pistons, set the timings on these 2 stroke gas motors, and balance the engine for least amount of vibration . you can buy a motor and ship it NEW to them, and they will modify it for you, or you just buy a NEW modified motor from them. both stand behind their work

Engine Types :

RC engine: RC heli drop in motor.. comes with its own installed / removeable pull start , and inbuilt fan has a plastic heat shroud around it from factory.. Internally RC engines have a heavier crank.. might have a different carb on them like a 900series .. I bit heavier

PUH engine : Power Unit Helicopter.. Engine itself, with no inbuilt fan, no pull starter.. uses Helicopter's own fan, and fan shroud.. use a heavy crank (compared to nitro) but also use the helicopter's cooling fan for for inertia... a bit lighter..

Is one engine better than the other? Well.. it all comes down to what your helicopter frame needs.. if it is built around a RC motor. iit wont have a fan shroud and fan of itself.. helis built around PUH will have no fan and shroud. both are great! ..

Ignition Systems:

Electronic Ignition : uses a sensor on the crank to pick up when the fire the spark plug.. electronic ignition is a coil that is battery powered , whenever it sees a signal from the magnetic pick up on the crank, it fires a spark to the spark plug.. and yes it needs a seperate battery pack. Produces a lot of noise..which sometimes gyros and governors, and servos and recievers do not like.. So thats another reason you give them a seperate battery pack .. (aside from them sucking your reciever battery dry and giving you shorter flight times) .. They arent bad though.. The newer systems are being produced with better isolation circuits, and heavy duty cases to reduce this noise interference..

Magneto: Old trusty.. works off a U shaped magnet mounted under the engine crank case, the varying magnetic fields produce current ( i might not be accurate.. but.. youtube magneto) .. and that creates enough current to fire the spark pluug everytime the crank rotates and magnet / coil cross. This system is self sustaining. No need of a battery.. So just keep feeding the engine fuel and it will keep running generating sparks for itself and puttering along.

this is a topic of dicussion. EI (electronic ignition) people say its hotter, and faster, lighter, and better performing.
magneto: Dont fail... they perform just as well.. no actual proof of there being a miss on higher RPM on a magneto system.. The weight of the system comes from its magnets.. which the EI system has a battery to its own, that adds weight and sort of evens out.

Conversion kits

Helix Heli
Hobby World Creations (century helis) "HWC"
Leviathian (Goblin gassers)
Helibug
OS GT15 HZ-600 conversion kit for trex 600

few more.. but these are the most commn ones.

Muffler:
Stock cans (loud as heck and horrid in power)
Century Torpedo V2 and V5 (Nicer mid range mufflers great for beginners, easy to tune.. )
RJX Mufflers
Hitori Muffler (RJX and hitori are more tuned .. not the top of the range.. but better sound and power)
TUNED PIPES : The Big daddies.. adding about 30-40% power to the horsepower and torque outputs because they are tuned for a very certain RPM , and keep a lot of the fuel in, in these 2 stroke motors) .. EXTREMELY TOUCHY to tune. Expert gasser pilots only. TONS of power

Gas Engines are heavier.. They produce more power than nitro engines, about double (but weigh about 2-3 times as much) .. Gas burns hotter so the engines are made of a heavier material

Fuels:

Still learning .. I know I you gotta mix your own or you can buy premixed. Mixing isnt difficult. 87 octane with the recommend oil for the engine depending on if its new getting broken in, or normally running flying engine.

Oils :

Still learning

Break in :

still leearning : I do know this. NOTHING CLOSE TO NITRO MOTORS> Every motor is broken in differently in Gas engines. Not like nitro (fly 2 tanks rich and start tuning at the end of third) .. here.. Its hardcore break in process involving 1-3gallons of gas through the motors with very very carefully watching the richness of the engine. using a different oil to break in than in normal operation. Its a time consuming process. The Gas engines have harder piston rings, and pistons. They take a LONG time to break in .But once done right and tuned right, a gas engine will fly 100-150 gallons without an issue and without messing with tune a lot. ofcourse. CHEAP AS HECK on 87 octane

Tuning:

Still learning..

Haha,, and many more.. lol But here is to start this.. :) What do you think ? Wanna join my madness? :) I am loving it!

murankar

Staff member
I have been wanting to since the release of the NX4Gasser. That bird looks like it can thrown down.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
true.. But as I am learning more and more.. That bird is definitely not for the beginner with the gas engine. the gas engine is wayy too touchy.. The smaller the gas engine the more finicky it is. The bigger engines are more forgiving. Like (i know my car is 4 stroke) I can change the needle on the carb on my 302ci V8 1/8 turn or more, and yeah it will affect it, but still keep running for a while.. As conpared to a 700 size heli gas engine, 1/8th or a turn here and there is a difference between a rich engine, and a burnt engine.

So . if you gotta start .. start with a forgiving one.. like the Zenoahs. but again I am learning still

danhampson

sounds like a cool project gaba.

I like the idea of fuel helis its just the noise factor that puts me off, just because 90% of my flights are early in the morning (about 6:30-7:30am)

i will be following this thread and any others regarding your gas project. Good luck with it Gaba.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
they are not that noisy with the right muffler. The bad rep they get is from the tin can muffler that comes stock. THAT yes.. wil make your head hurt after a flight and probably the neighbors hate you. ... lol .. while IF you can do nitro .. you should be able to do gas with a good muffler.

Lee

I would love to try gasser, just for the long flight times and cheap fuel costs.
Not going to be in the near future thats for sure.

murankar

Staff member
I still like the idea of the NX4 G. If I ever go gasser then yes it will be Gaui unless something better comes out. Touchy or not its all going to be a learning curve regardless what size you go. If your clueless on tuning your going to burn any size motor.

Top Bottom