Heli Practice

RMB677

Due you install the canopy on your heli when you practice? Especially those practicing hovering. If you do, why?

murankar

Staff member
Yes, yes, yes

Protects the battery and for orientation. the canopy will give your eyes something to lock onto while flying. Most of the time people fly without one is so the can do a quick test before finalizing a new adjustment or repair.

Adam

I always wondered that too. I use to not practice with it cause I didn't want to break it but with it on it easier for orientation like he said.

RMB677

One of the reasons I ask is that the canopy on my Blade 450 is extremely tight to get over the battery. I'm using a Turnigy Nano-tect 2200mAh. If I move it much further back it gets a bit too close for comfort to the motor.

murankar

Staff member
Depending on how I put on my canopy I have a tight fit also. To tight and the canopy rubber stoppers will wear out, to loose on it will vibrate like mad. I have not seen a blade 450 to say how to do it. The manual should show the proper fit and what dimensions the battery should be.

RMB677

Just made a modification to the canopy so that it fits snug rather than tight. I deepened/lengthened the notchs on the bottom of the canopy where it contacts the skid leg a 1/2". Now it fits snug without forcing and takes most of the strain off of the grommets. Looking at other 2200, 3S batteries I noted that the ones I have are on the lower end of the length range, 106mm.

Roger

RMB677

Thanks for the suggestion muranker but I've had a bad experience with xheli and will not deal with them. As mentioned the modification works fine. I don't think its all the battery's fault, the canopy was difficult to get on even without a battery installed.

Roger

Top Bottom