General Heli nitro engine help! :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Hey guys!

I am about to receive the kinetic. Tomorrow I'll have the heli in my hands. Dont know what to expect... But y'all have seen the pics (that's kinda all I have seen too) lol. Anywhew.. I am gonna be receiving it, so I will wanna check things out. ESP in the engine.

Frame I'll see, that's something that I can check.. I think. But engine is something I know almost next to nothing about.

What do you suggest me do to it when it arrives? Start it somehow? Open it's guts and lay on the table? Clean it? What to do ? How to do ? :)

I need help in everything. I know you guys are not here, so your wisdom is as good as I can perceive, but, I promise I'll try hard to understand, and do exactly what's needed. I wanna do things the right way in this bird. It's BIG, and I don't want surprises when it's in the air (atleast the ones I could have avoided lol)

You guys know I really appreciate your help in this and hope to get some good comments and suggestions here ! :)

Tony

Staff member
I would help you, but I know nothing about heli motors. I know how they work, but I'm also used to being able to tune them when they are running. Can't do that when you are swinging 5' of blade above it. Well, I guess you could do what Tommy did and put it on a bench and duck under it lol. I would suggest that you find a copy of the manual, and go through it step by step. Not sure what more to tell you about this one.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
First thing I would do is take the engine out. Check the clutch And make sure it's ok. Take the glow plug out. Chechen the top of the piston and the cylinder walls out. No deterioration of the top of the piston. No scratches on the walls. Take some WD 40 and spray down the engine inside and out. Including down the carb. Work everything. Turn the engine over, work the carb. Then wipe it down. Leave some clean WD 40 in the cylinder. This removes all the old fuel residue. Put it back together, buy the right heli fuel. Ask the hobby shop what everyone is using in your area. Then fire her up and see how she runs. That's about all you can do. Oh and ya buy a new glow plug. It's nice to have one on hand incase your dies. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
If fuel was left in that motor, then the methanol will have eaten the aluminum and you will be looking for a new motor. Purchase after run oil and use it. It will keep the methanol from eating the aluminum.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Fuel will gum up after a while. I had to do thus to my superstar engine to free it up. But WD40 works just has good has after run oil and a lot cheeper lol

RandyDSok

I'm assuming that engines haven't changed that much since the late '70s early '80's when I got my first heli motor... if so ignore this... lol

You should be able to get an airplane prop and use it to test run the engine on a test stand. If you are hand starting it... remember to sand down the edges of the prop ( they are sharp ) and use a heavy work glove to flip it with.... obviously an electric starter would be nice but hand starting works in a pince... also when flipping it... pull on the prop where your hand exits the arc of the prop just in case it backfire's or starts sooner then you expect

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Randy. Your idea seems good except I don't have a tea stand for it.. Umm... Don't have a garage workshop... My apartment balcony is my "workshop" lol.

Now, breeze... I have wd40.. Your idea it's simple and doable.. I'll check the wall and piston for scratches... I will take it out definately, now opening up is an option but I am debating that.

I will be buying a electric started now. Needed for a heli...

Whirlybird

If fuel was left in that motor, then the methanol will have eaten the aluminum and you will be looking for a new motor. Purchase after run oil and use it. It will keep the methanol from eating the aluminum.

Really, Tony? I've got 3 engines that have been sitting for 30 some years. A Veco 19 . . . K&B 40 . . . Kraft 60
They're probably like fossils :yikes:
Maybe today I'll act as an RC Paleontologist and take them apart to see if anything is left inside. I may need a jackhammer :lol:

zapster

I would suggest bringing it outside near a large rock place it beside the rock and then roll the large rock onto the heli,
this will then free you of ever having to worry about ambient temperature,humdity,dewpoint,air fuel mixture,glow plugs
and the allways ever impending crash where you will most likely have to watch your helicopter beat itself to death.
Please dont take my suggestion any more seriously that what my opinion of nitro helis is for i am the zapster.lol

Top Bottom