Micro Heli for outdoor flight in light winds.

Callum

Have only made my introduction into helis in last few weeks.
Flying on Phoenix and indoors with mSR and dx6i.

I'm definitely getting the hang of things and finding the CP models much easier or natural (if that makes sense) to fly in phoenix. mSR is great fun indoors, loving it!
Still on the basics but getting there.

My problem is that I would like to fly outdoors but finding a day with zero wind in Scotland is near impossible and the few times ive tried the mSR was struggling to overcome what I'd consider one of our lighter breezes, but that may just be down to my skill level.

I've been considering purchasing another heli to practice outdoors. If I understand correctly I'd be looking at something larger or CP.

I'd prefer to stick to micro for moment as crash damage seems to be minimal.

Any good choices for a heli suitable for outdoor flying in slight wind?

I've been looking at the mcpx v2 and noticed the store i use has the mcpx BL for same price. I've been extremely tempted but held back as from what I've read the BL is a bit insane and above my skill level.

Would I be dreaming to think that I could tame it down to a manageable degree by lowering headspeed and using D/R and expo? Bear in mind this will be my first real shot of CP.

Thanks

Callum

Slobberdog

If you are set on something small get the 130x I have one, it has brought me on a good bit in the short time I have had it, not to bad in the garden with light winds, and is alot more value for money than the Mcpx bl. Hit my washing line with mine the other day, and then the ground after a 8 foot drop with no damage, and will just bind straight to your Dx6i

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
i use to own one of those mini. they are great and can fly outside but to a degree especially if you are going lower the headspeed and use D/R expo. you are definitely going to need that headspeed to fly outdoor.

I have the MCPX and yes they can be twitchy, and really should be flown inside, especially at novice level (which I am also).
They are harder to fly outstide, I've done it, but it would want to be with only the lightest of winds around.
In terms of staying with small helis, I'll let the other guys post their suggestions, I've gone up to a 450 now and am still getting it ready for a flight

Callum

Kev, the 130x was actually my first choice but put myself off reading horror stories of stripped gears after every crash/tail strike.
I'm really tempted.

- - - Updated - - -

Anthony, good point. Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Just an FYI, any fixed pitch helicopter is going to hate the wind. Those curved blades will catch the wind, and take it over the hill a mile down the road in a matter of seconds. It's just the nature of fixed pitch. The mSR is a great heli for indoor flight, but if the sun hits it, it loses it's mind lmao.

The mCP-X is a GREAT helicopter. IF you get the mcpx, I suggest getting the brushless. Much better tail control. Yes, you can tame them down to about a 70% throttle curve so they will not be as insane. If you can get them for the same price (v2 vs bl), then definitely go with the brushless.

The 130x is another great option, but I can't bring myself to get one because of all of the tail, bearing and gear issues. I need to get one and just bite the bullet, but just can't do it lmao.

My vote if you are wanting to stay micro is the mcpx bl.

Slobberdog

I put mine in to the floor tonight in the hall, as long as you cut the throttle it has a good chance of surviving, one of the guys came over as I was picking it up and asked what have I broke, quick glance it looked ok so put it back on its skids and took back off, guess that's nothing then I said......

Had about 4 reasonable crashes including a tangle with my washing line, and have all teeth on all gears intact.

He then followed by saying if you do that on your 450 its gonna be in pieces, I have to agree,

Been using it this week in up to 10mph winds swirling in my garden and gentle hovering and orientation work and its not been to bad, getting to the point now where I want to take it into a big field and have a go.

- - - Updated - - -

The only weak thing in the tail I think is the pitch slider

Callum

Tony, might just go with the mcpx BL then, glad to hear taming it is realistic. Didn't want to go for the v2 then wish I'd got the BL as my skills progressed.

Kev, I've watched a few 130x videos on you tube with hard crashes and its flew straight after with no damage, looks awesome. I'm thinking with my skill level at moment Ill be having a fair few crashes as I get to grips with CP so the mcpx may be the better option for now although I do agree the 130x seems much better value and ill prob end up buying both anyway lol.
When they say this hobby is addictive, they ain't kidding.

Callum

Got the mcpx BL delivered today. Its wild.

My settings so far,

-----------------

Have set up dual rates as per manual except put low rates when switch = 1,

aile 0 100% expo 40
elev 0 100% expo 40
rudd 0 100% INH

aile 1 70% expo 40
elev 1 70% expo 40
rudd 1 100% INH

------------------

Travel adj

100% for all settings

------------------

Throttle curve as per manual, NORM 0% 40% 60% 80% 100%

Same settings in stunt to avoid any mistakes.

------------------

Pitch curve i've set at NORM 40% 50% 60% 75% 100%

Same for stunt mode.

settings in manual for NORM were 30% 40% 50% 75% 100%

------------------

Gyro 0 100%
Gyro 1 50%

Wasn't really sure about this so left settings already in transmitter.

------------------

Anything I have overlooked? Or any pointers for a beginner would be much appreciated.

Tony

Staff member
this is just me, but that may be a bit too much expo. I ran high expo for a while when I was "thumbing" the sticks. Once I forced myself to pinch the sticks, I had to lower my expo due to the increased control.

Unless you don't want idle up, I would set it up as it should be. Throttle should be 100 across the board and pitch should be linear. In fact, even if you do NOT want to fly idle up, still put the pitch curve linear. do the same for throttle hold for the pitch, but the throttle should be 0 across the board.

Other than that, all you are missing is the maiden video posted here on the forum lmao.

Callum

Ive set it up like you said for idle up with linear pitch.

Going to take some getting used to but better to learn it now before I get stuck in my own ways.

Will set phoenix up the same way and get some practice in before I venture outside.

Had a quick hover in living room but came within an inch of my 60" led tv so knocked that idea on the head.

Again thanks a lot for your help mate, much appreciated!

Callum

Tony

Staff member
hahaha, I have come pretty close to hitting my LED Tv as well. Wife not happy lmao.

Those like Bert Kammerer and Bobby Watts, they use the linear pitch curve on all settings with full negative pitch. I like having just a slight bit of negative in normal mode, but full negative in idle up and hold so that if I have to, I can at least try to auto one down if I lose power.

xokia

I wouldn't recommend the MCPX BL over the 130x at least not to a newbie. The 130x flies SOOOooooo much better. The 130x flies like a bigger heli and is way more stable. The mcpx has a much higher power to weight ratio and is much twitchier.

I have both and would rather fly the 130x and in my experience the 130x takes a beating better than the mcpx.

Callum

xokia, after a few weeks flying i may have to agree with you, it was very twitchy at first and took me a fair amount of time and frustration to become confident in basic maneuvers.

Fitted Airtime landing skids which take a fair beating and had a few hard landings and managed to wreck the canopy but apart from that its a solid little heli and don't regret my purchase whatsoever. Saying that I think Ill pick up the 130x at some point also.

Is there any mods to strengthen the BL canopy at all? as seems extremely fragile compared to my msr.

Top Bottom