General heli batteries

Glen shelley

Hi All

I have just finished building a align trex 600 efl heli

i am just trying to set it up

my question is.The manual says that TWO 6s 3300-4600 mha lipo batteries are required

i have in my build room TWO 5 s 5000 mha lipos. Can i use these on my heli without any consequences or should i buy the 6s ones

i will be flying mostly scale with no 3D acrobatics

kind regards

Glen

Tony

Staff member
This is going to depend on your setup. If you are set up for a 6s setup (two 6s wired in parallel), then the 5s packs will not be putting the voltage that you need, it will be too low. The same is true for a 12s setup (two 6s packs wired in series). If you wire up your 5s packs, you will only be getting 10s voltage, and again, it's not enough. I would highly suggest that you get the two 6s packs for this bird.

When I had my 600 electric, I ran a 6s setup, and there just was not enough power even though the motor was made for the 6s setup. This is the reason they came out with the 550 series. It runs on a single 6s pack and it does work. But the 600's really need 10s plus to get the power they need.

The other thing that you need to look at is the size of the batteries and their weight. It's going to be different from the 5s to the 6s packs. However, if you have an ESC and motor that can handle the 12s setup, then you can try the 10s setup (your packs wired in series) and see if it works for you. But make sure you are set up for a 12s setup and not limited to a 6s setup. If you hook up 10s to a 6s system, all of the magic smoke will go away.

Glen shelley

This is going to depend on your setup. If you are set up for a 6s setup (two 6s wired in parallel), then the 5s packs will not be putting the voltage that you need, it will be too low. The same is true for a 12s setup (two 6s packs wired in series). If you wire up your 5s packs, you will only be getting 10s voltage, and again, it's not enough. I would highly suggest that you get the two 6s packs for this bird.

When I had my 600 electric, I ran a 6s setup, and there just was not enough power even though the motor was made for the 6s setup. This is the reason they came out with the 550 series. It runs on a single 6s pack and it does work. But the 600's really need 10s plus to get the power they need.

The other thing that you need to look at is the size of the batteries and their weight. It's going to be different from the 5s to the 6s packs. However, if you have an ESC and motor that can handle the 12s setup, then you can try the 10s setup (your packs wired in series) and see if it works for you. But make sure you are set up for a 12s setup and not limited to a 6s setup. If you hook up 10s to a 6s system, all of the magic smoke will go away.

hi Tony
what do you mean by am i set up for a 6s

the manual asks for two 6s in series
kind regards
glen

Tony

Staff member
If it states two 6s packs in series, then you are set up for a 12s system. You can verify this by making sure your ESC can handle at least 44.4 volts.

Glen shelley

If it states two 6s packs in series, then you are set up for a 12s system. You can verify this by making sure your ESC can handle at least 44.4 volts.

Hi tony
Thank you so much i have just checked my esc
it is a castle 80 HV and it will take maximum 50 volts

I will buy two 6s packs

Just thought i could save a bit of cash

kind regards

Glen

Tony

Staff member
by all means, try out the 5s to see if a 10s setup will work. As you stated, you are not doing smack 3D so you may not need the extra 2s. Just make sure the 5s packs will fit in the helicopter and that the weight is not too much.

Top Bottom