FBL Gyro HEEELLLLPPPP - I have stuffed my 3Gx - I Think :( - BEWARE UPGRADING TO V3.1

Westy

LEGEND
V3.1 3Gx Firmwear :warning:

Thought I would simply update the Firmware and software ..... anyway ..... it is all stuffed up now!

The channels are all mixed up...... when you move the Cyclic .... the Elevator servo does not even move... now when you pull collective .... the Elevator servo only moves!

and that is in DIR MODE!

WTF????

Anyone got any ideas? I went flying with this heli yesterday and it was working perfectly on 5 full batteries.....

Why oh Why ... did I mess with it! :sorrow::emono::banghead:

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE................. False Alarm.......

It was my issue! ...... Must have changed the swash mode when changing from Sim model to my DFC600 Config.............. All working now WHEW... :shame:

Westy

LEGEND
Another update ..... I have just got in from hovering the 600 in the dusk.... with the upgrade on and all standard settings (except I set the pots up at 105 in the software)

Verdict.................. It actually does take off smoother and just drifts to the left .... but it does not tilt over on take off any more .... also lands a lot less wobbly!

Its all Good!

Tony

Staff member
I may have to give it a shot. Who knows, maybe, just maybe, the 3GX will stay in the 600...

Westy

LEGEND
here is the Vid I did on the Install ....

I tried to do a vid of the test flight .... but it was nearly dark and the Vid does not do very well in that light ... it was totally pixelated and you could not see stuff all!

I landed and took off at least a dozen times and it was solid and predictable as it should be! :uncomfortableness:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Jackson

Westy have you tried taking a degree or two back from your tail rotor center position? Sounds like you may have too much right pitch to start with??

Ken

Westy

LEGEND
Sorry dude .... Bad Explanation..... the tail is not drifting ... it is Rock solid

the HELI ...... in its entirety is Drifting <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Left ..... as it normal as you take off.

The Huge Difference I noticed with this upgrade is the heli stays level now, where as before in 3.0 ..... it always tried to roll over to the left and you have to snap correct it (was just natural reaction and I am used to it).

I will do some more experiements with the heli and film it. ... foggy outside now .... winter is coming! .... but it aint gonna stop me flyin! - I will just have to put fog lights on her!

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, that "snapping" to the left, right, fore, aft is what caused me to rethink flying the 600. If it was doing that on the ground, I didn't want it doing it in the air where I couldn't stop it. Too much money in this heli. May try to wake up early and get everything uploaded and charged up on the 600 and the DX8 and may try to put it in the air when Matt is at the house. We will see though. I know for a fact that the RCH Trainer is going in the air hopefully.

Westy

LEGEND
It was actually find once you got it air born ... the gyro seemed to stabalise .... but if you drive it like a nana .... and putt ... it off the skids ... then it is all over! you need to punch it a little and no hessitation! ...
now with the new version 3.1 it is not so bad ....
Here are my complete set of Vids .... including test flights and commentaries! - ha ha .... I actually also did my first pirouetting circuit! and first ever inverted for more than 5 seconds....

The SETUP.....

TEST FLIGHT 1 - just giving it a go!

Test Flight 2 - Take off - Hovering and Landing Testing.....

Test Flight 3 - Some 3D flying ... flips and rolls....

Final Test Flight 4 - first ever .... (mine anyway) long inverted hover..... and a full piroetting circuit!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I was being really slow getting it off the ground just incase something happened on spoolup. Speakign of that, I still need to threadlock my head... oops lmao

xokia

3.0 firmware on my 450 was buttery smooth. I didn't have any of these issues and actually really liked how it flew.It makes me scared to upgrade what is already working to 3.1. But after dealing with the problems I had in my 250 I'm scared to fly a 3GX now lol.

I think I will sit this one out for a while and let you guys get some flight time on these 3GX units and see how they hold up.

Ken Jackson

Xokia,

I hear you about upgrading what is working. My last crash was just that, I changed what was working and it got the best of me. I told Westy I'm putting my 450 back together so I'll sit back and see what everyone else says. I generally don't wait to install upgrades because you know as fast as they put this one out they were covering their butts on something.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
I'm really thinking about going back to the 2.1. It was great on the ole' 450 that we put back in the air today. But, with as many vibrations as my nitro has when running, I'm not sure if it would actually help. I guess we will find out soon though.

Ken Jackson

Good stuff Westy. Are you happy with your upgrade overall? I was watching your take off and landing video and I still think if you took a degree or two from your tail rotor blades it might eliminate that left drift. We set up the tail rotor with a slight favor to the right, this is to off set the natural drift to the left caused by the direction of the main rotors. I understand your tail is rock solid but I still think the light drift is being caused by the tail rotor. It is not banking left it is drifting.

Just my thoughts.

Congrats on the inverted hover. It's a lot easier to hold inverted with Flybarless for sure.

Tony

Staff member
All helicopters will have a drift because of the tail blade. There is no way to take it out. If you do take it out, once you are in the air, the heli will start spinning CW because of the torque of the main blades.

And 3.1 worked for the RCH Heli!!!

Ken Jackson

I didn't say take it out but split the difference. And wouldn't the gyro prevent the spin?

Good news on the RCH!

Ken

Westy

LEGEND
it wont if it it not central on the Slider or if what it things is nuetral position and then senses an angle sense change (Directional spin) if would be fighting with the tail all the time without even adding in any stick input....

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I am real happy with it .... now that I have halved the acceleration difference when stepping up from NOR to ID2 ... then ID2.... the tail does not lag so much ....

I am super happy with it .... of only I had more power now ... that would be awesome... but I have decided, that once I need to upgrade to do that, it is time to get a Goblin and be done with it ... sell up the old gear and go for broke!

Top Bottom