Misc Heavey lift hexa

WyDiablo

I assembled the new AMP 2814 heavy lift motors onto my hexa and spooled her up. After a couple of seconds it sounded like a wind chime made from aluminum tubing. So I disconnected all the motors and reconected only one motor back. I fired up the hexa and if that motor did not make a sound I did the next one just one motor at a time. So I have two motors that sound that way and one of them has a squeal to the motor. Has any one experienced any thing like this? I also had one of the esc's to get lightly warm no where near the hot range. I ask the company before I bought this kit if my 30Amp esc's would be ok for these motors and was told yes they are ok. And now he says they are not ok. He directed me to his expensive type esc's and they are way out of me price range. Also he stated that he hoped that the bec had been removed or I could damage something. But I read where his high price esc's also have a bec. Its kinda confusing on whats whats. Maybe I just need to by the 40Amp esc's and try then. This is the conversion kit below and the esc's that are on my hexa now.

http://aerialmediapros.com/store/pr...kit-with-arm-extensions-amp-2814-motors-p-158

http://thequadman.com/30A-ESC-Brushless-Motor-Speed-Controller-30AYESC.htm

Thanks
WyDiablo

Last edited:

Lee

You should only have one BEC connected to the FC board. Disconnect all red wires except one on the ESCs. If you are getting squealing noise coming from the motor, i would take the can off and check inside for any rubbing of the magnets or stator.
Have these ESCs been Flashed? Or are they just standard ESCs? If they are just standard, maybe the timing needs to be changed for these motors.
The guys sounds a bit suspect if he keeps changing his mind to whether they will work or not.
Hope you get it sorted.

WyDiablo

This hexa came "RTF" from thequadman.com and I reallt do not kow if they were flashed are what. You say for me to remove the red wires on all 6 esc's? I have the naxa that also has the bec led imu. Or should I just re-calibrate all 6 esc's and try that first. I think that what he sells are esc's with a bec.

Lee

I'm not 100% sure on what the NAZA requires or allows, but in most multirotor systems they tell you to remove the red wires from all but one ESC. This is to stop the FC system from being given too much power from all the ESCs.
Recalibrating the ESCs would be the easiest step to try first. If not that then i'm sure Craig will be on here soon to answer, as he has multirotors with that system on, as does Sam.

WyDiablo

Why not remove all 6 red wires and let the bec that comes with the naza take care of that. The F450 that I just built all 4 esc's do not have a bec and they use the one that comes with the naza they are the "Opto esc's"

Lee

If the NAZA has its own BEC then i can't see why not. But again i'd wait for the guys with the Nazas to answer. I'm only up to date on the Open Pilot and KK boards.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
On my QAV 500 I'm running 18A plush esc's. I left all 4 wires hooked up. I don't think it makes a difference with a NAZA.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and same on my NAZA H. I left the wire on the esc hooked up.

wolfman76

I have the tbs discovery quad with the naza m and according to Sam he says you do not need to pull the red wires on Any of the esc's my quad has all dji electronics with 30 amp esc's optos

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Looking at the NAZA manual nothing is said about removing the wires. Now the bec on the NAZA powers the NAZA and works the low voltage cutoff. I do not see where it will reduce the voltage to 5V for the rx. So the rx has to get power from somewhere! If you remove all the wires where dose the rx get power from? The NAZA bec is designed to work on 2s to 6s battery power. Last time I looked if you hook up 6s power to a rx it will fry in milliseconds!

WyDiablo

Well heck now I don't really kow what to do now. When I first got the hexa it had the cheap rctimer motors. and thay also had a clanging sound. So I upgraded to the Tiger MT2216-11 900Kv motors and thay had that sound also. And now with the AMP 2814 motors the sound continues. I have moved the tiger motors over to the F450 and so far no noise while in spool up or in flight. I have noticed that after I mount the props really tight the nuts become lose shortly afterwards. And I'm using an extra nut as a lock nut. I guess I need to get some lock washers for the props. I was informed that the clanging sound was from the esc and also the squeal. Just wondering what steps to take now. I think that clanging sound goes away after many flights or I"m just gettign use to that noise heck I don't know. I think I will get some of the DJU stock esc's and try them. Thats what they used on all the prototypes during the testing of the heavy lift conversion.

Tasajara

All esc's will make the motor have a little noise / squeal if they are not flashed , but if it is really loud they may be something wrong but not likely
The squeal could be the timing of the esc, in some cases I have adjusted it to low timing to make my motor quieter at the slight loss of power.
High timing will give you more power but may build up more heat..

If you only have the noise with the same esc's and different motors, it is not the motor...but the esc timing or Freq.
As far as the BEC wires, it all depends on the FC if you have to remove the red wire. If you are using the Naza with the LED/BEC setup you
could remove all red wires, lift the tab on the servo plug slide the wire out and cover with heat shrink.
This will make the esc run cooler because it want have to get rid of excess voltage to drop it to 5v for the RX level that bec's run at.

Last edited:

WyDiablo

Well I just finished re-calibrating the esc's I turned the tx on pushed the thro all the way up and plugged the esc's into the 8-way adapter and then plugged the other end into the thro channel on the rx. I put power to the rx and then plugged the lipo into the bottom plate power connecter. I beeped once then 3 times I then lowered the thro to the bottom and it beeped bout every second or two for 4 or 5 times. Disconnected everything and reconnected it back as to fly and then spooled up the hexa. Whola no clinging noise and no squealing but I have not put the props back on the heli yet. I will do that tomorrow and see what happens.

WyDiablo

Ok with the props back on the hexa I have the clang and light squeal. There isn't a sound without the props except the sound of the motors spinning. I have just ordered a Hobbywing programming card from RCDude.com so when I get it I will re-program the esc and maybe they will be a little better. But don't you guys close your eyes because I will surely have some questions. Will do a test flight tomorrow afternoon Hope its not a yarf dart lol

WyDiablo

And the heavy lift hexa conversion flies she flies. Talk about power wow now I need to find me some bricks lol. I was above 1/3 thro when it was in a hover and that really surprised me big time. Still have not removed that red wire yet I'm kinda waiting on my program card to get first. Thanks a tons guys for all your knowledge. I still will probably have question when I get the card.

Top Bottom