450 heat and white dust.

hawk-i

Got a little issue with one of my 450 clones guys. Wondering if anyone has any ideas. Seems after a crash and rebuild of a trex 450 clone flybar type 'heil I'm getting a lot of heat from the esc and motor. I tried dropping the pitch to increase head speed and it seemed to help some but it still gets hotter than I like. Before it would melt the solder connection at the negative side of the battery connection of the esc. It has done this twice. that was the cause of the crash. The first time it happened I thought it was just a bad bit of soldering on my part. But not twice. I also seem to be getting a lot of white dust from the main gear and main gear wear but it don't seem to be too tight. it's a 35 amp eflight esc and a 2800 kv motor. any help would be appreciated.

brent

Hi there, not sure about the heat from the esc, do you have another motor to try on it? that way if it still happens it kind of suggests its not a damaged motor (from still trying to go while stuck in the ground if throttle hold wasn't used fast enough)
As for the main gear if you've already checked there are no missing teeth or damage to the main gear or pinion I find all my clone main gears are off shape so be sure to find the tightest point against the pinion then back the motor off at that point, I use a bit of paper between the main gear and pinion just be sure its not to much gap on the loose side of the main gear, some gears I have to have no play on the tight side so the play is not to much on the loose side. I've also heard of some people putting a little silocone spray or white grease on the main gear but I think that's more for breaking them in.

Derek

It sounds to me that your pinion is just too tight on your main gear. Being too tight to the main gear would result in added pressure, friction, and resistance on the motor. It would also explain the dust that you are getting because the pinion would be chewing into the main gear. That's what it sounds like to me. I'd double check your pinion to main gear mesh and make sure that's correct.

hawk-i

thanks guys I'll check the gear mesh. I got a bunch of these motor's off ebay . I bid on 9 of them thinking I might win one or two. Well I won 8 so yeah I got extras.lol

Slobberdog

Remember when your checking gear mesh to check it in many positions, these main gears are rarely truly round, check at least 6-8 times around the gear,

Lee

You should have the slightest bit of play between the pinion and main gear, all the way around.

pvolcko

Yeah. Melting solder joints is not a good thing. USually it is caused by a bad solder joint, but high currents run continuously may be resulting in it too. Def check gear mesh, but also do some bench testing (no blades!). Disengage the motor from the main gear (slide it back away) and make sure you can spin the main gear by hand. No sticking points or frozen bearings. Run the motor while it is not engaged with the main gear (tighten down the mounting screws with it away from the main gear) and make sure that is isn't heating up all by itself. IF it is, pull the motor apart and make sure the bearings inside are still good. Clean it up. Lube it. etc.

If it checks mechanically, I'd definitely be suspecting either a mounting screw is contacting the a stator coil in the motor (make sure none of the mounting screws holding the motor to the mounting plate are contacting the coil wire inside) or the ESC has something wrong with it, or a bad solder joint.

hawk-i

Thanks guys I'll try that. I rechecked my gear mesh and set it again. Seems to have helped a lot. No more white dust. But say I go through 3 packs without much of a rest period, would my motor heat up anyway just from being run so much?

Derek

Yes, it would! I wouldn't think that it would get HOTT but warm/hot...yeah...without a rest period and warm/hot ambient temps. Yeah...a motor will get hot.

wolfman76

I think there was another member awhile back dont remember who but they had the same issue exactly and it turned out he had a very tight gear mesh also

Top Bottom