450 Headspeed Rpms.

Hi guys, I was wondering what rpms the helicopter rotorhead needs for 3d flying? Are these rpms the same for a 450 and a 800 size heli?

Tony

Staff member
Head speed will vary with different size helicopters as well as flying style. For a 450 something between 2700-3400 is where I like to stay. For an 800 size then you are probably looking at somewhere between 1600-2000. That is a lot of weight swinging around.

I have found 2 Xnova motors appropriate for my 450. I want to change the stock motor I'm using now. Both are compatible with my YGE 40 amps ESC. The first one is a 2600 KV and the second is 4100 KV. The motor I'm running at the moment is 3500KV. Which of the 2 xnova do you think is appropriate for my 450? Based on an equation of my 450 manual the 2600KV gives me theoretically 2300 rpms and the 4100 KV gives me 3640. The motor I'm using now gives me 3100.

Tony

Staff member
The 2600 is likely for a 6s setup. So if you are running a 6s battery, that is the one that I would go with. The 4100 is more than likely the 3s setup, and IMO, WAY too high of a head speed for a 450 if you just swap it over. You would have to turn down your throttle a lot to get that motor to work. With that said though, if you are running a governor, this could be a great way to give yourself more overhead for the governor to use to maintain head speed.

The manufacturer gives both of these motors for 3S. And for blade length up to 30cm. In my case 325mm. Both of them are for 3S. The 2600kv has max continuous current 32 amps and the 4100kv has 36 amps. That's why I don't know which to choose. If I choose the 4100 I can change the pinion from 15T down to 11T.

Tony

Staff member
That is way too low of a kv for a 450 unless you gear the ever loving crap out of it. If those are your only two options, go with the higher kv motor, but do not spin it 100%. The feathering shaft bolts will not be able to withstand the pressures and they will fail.

Can you link us to the two motors?

murankar

Staff member
I am late to this but better than never.

So with a max of near 3600 on a 360/325 is high. I would step down 1 tooth on the pinion if possible. Then set up a gov so that it does not exceed 85 or 90 percent.

Personally i would set a max throttle potential of 3500 rpm but a max head speed of 3600ish. So I would gear for the 3600 range and then set my gov for 3500.

Tony, 2000 on an 800 is super high. That what Tareq would fly. I would put an 800 at a max of 1600 or 1700.

Finally head speed is set by the pilot and their ability to tune. A 700 goblin will tune ideally around 2100 or 2200 but a Thunder Tiger E700 will tune ideally at 1900. Both will fly 3D just fine. Nick Maxwell would beat the crap out of his Raptor at 1900. My 570 on 12S flies just fine 2200. It can go to 2700 but you don't need it.

Just keep in mind that when you fly lower head speeds you will need to learn the collective side of the radio. If you don't it will bog and pull a ton of amps.

Last edited:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's pretty wild. Couple of times they zoom in on the heli, which was neat especially when he was inverted. Right around 2:35 the camera man didn't zoom in. The heli pilot flew towards the camera man and that wasn't smart at all. I don't care how good your are...not cool!

Tony

Staff member
Yea, that's an exhibition deal. The video, they were just showing a close up. Camera man needs to turn down the gain though, video is blown out. But, if you look at a lot of the older 3D videos back in the day, they always did like rainbows sideways to make the crowd think the helicopter was coming at them. It was, and you could usually feel the air off the blades. One perfect example is when Bert K made Pinion step out of the pocket lmao.

holtneil

I was trying to find this video of a guy fly a low head speed and the 3d was super super slow you could see all the moves need for a piro flip i will keep looking

Top Bottom