450 Head speed

sneezy007

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of Gaui X3's. Just wondering what the head speed should be on them for normal flight.?
In my case it would be tail in hovering. What should my throttle curve look like?

Thanks.

Geena

Staff member
I run my X3 at 3500-37000. Not real sure...LOL. You definitely don`t need it that high. Just play with the head speed, and set it to where you are comfortable with it. As for the throttle curve. I suggest a flat curve. Something like 0%, 40%, 40%, 40%, 40%. The reason for that, instead of something like 0%, 25%, 40, 45%, 50% is so the motor stays at a constant speed. That way, you`re only dealing with pitch inputs and not pitch inputs and the motor slowing down and speeding up. It will make for a much easier hover. Also, if your transmitter allows it...enable pitch expo. That will soften up the transition of the pitch as you move the collective, and take away the "twitchy" feeling when you go up and down on the collective.

One more think that I probably should mention. If you are going to use the flat throttle curves, make sure you have soft start turned on in your speed controller. If you don`t, the motor will start too fast, and tip your helicopter over on spool up.

If your speed controller does not have soft start, or you don`t know how to enable it. Use the second throttle curse I posted, or something along those lines.

murankar

Staff member
When mine decides to stop acting like a fool it will fly.

Mine and is set for 3000 3100 and 3200. Mine flies great at those head speeds.

Smoggie

^^^+1 ... 3000RPM should be fine for hovering around and will give you decent flight time.

Ideally use a governor, it's simpler to set up that way and much better in flight because RPM always stays constant. If using throttle curves then they have to be matched to your pitch curve, which gets more complicated.

Geena

Staff member
Yeah, it sounds like an angry swarm of rabid hornets...hahahahaha. But it sure is a lot of fun.

sneezy007

I run my X3 at 3500-37000. Not real sure...LOL. You definitely don`t need it that high. Just play with the head speed, and set it to where you are comfortable with it. As for the throttle curve. I suggest a flat curve. Something like 0%, 40%, 40%, 40%, 40%. The reason for that, instead of something like 0%, 25%, 40, 45%, 50% is so the motor stays at a constant speed. That way, you`re only dealing with pitch inputs and not pitch inputs and the motor slowing down and speeding up. It will make for a much easier hover. Also, if your transmitter allows it...enable pitch expo. That will soften up the transition of the pitch as you move the collective, and take away the "twitchy" feeling when you go up and down on the collective.

One more think that I probably should mention. If you are going to use the flat throttle curves, make sure you have soft start turned on in your speed controller. If you don`t, the motor will start too fast, and tip your helicopter over on spool up.

If your speed controller does not have soft start, or you don`t know how to enable it. Use the second throttle curse I posted, or something along those lines.

Thanks for your suggestions Geena. My throttle curve is set at 0%, 25%, 35%, 45%, 55%, 65%
It's bobbing up and down on me like a yo-yo. I'll try your flat curve. Interesting I've never heard of pitch expo. I have a DX18 and I'll have to check it if has pitch expo. My esc is a Hobbywing, I have to check on the soft start.

Tony

Staff member
Definitely run a flat curve. 40% on throttle is a bit low unless you are running a governor, but I would start with something like 0 65 65 65 65 and see how stable that is for Normal mode. If it's hunting around like it's drunk, take it up to 70 and so on.

Geena

Staff member
Thanks for your suggestions Geena. My throttle curve is set at 0%, 25%, 35%, 45%, 55%, 65%
It's bobbing up and down on me like a yo-yo. I'll try your flat curve. Interesting I've never heard of pitch expo. I have a DX18 and I'll have to check it if has pitch expo. My esc is a Hobbywing, I have to check on the soft start.
You`ll find that a flat throttle curve will help with the yo-yo effect. The DX18 has pitch expo. It`s on the bottom of the screen when you go into the pitch curve menu. It should say (INH) next it, Just change it to enable. and it will set it automatically.

murankar

Staff member
On the hobby wing I think it's gov store. Set your pitch curve to 0° flat then set your throttle curve to 50% flat. Spool it up, once it gets to full head speed wait about 30 seconds then hit throttle cut. Unplug your flight pack then replug it.

In the radio set your pitch curve back to the 0 25 50 75 100. Set your throttle curve to a flat 80% all the way across. Your governor head speed will be what ever throttle curve you set. So if the headspeed seems to fast at 80% then dail it back to 75% flat. Orif it's to slow the kick it up by 5% not to exceed 90%. You will need to leave 10% for the governor to use at the top end.

To figure out your actual headspeed you will either need a tachometer or a gyro that can read the ESC telemetry ouput.

sneezy007

Update on my X3 head-speed. I set the throttle curve to 0,65,65,65,65 and it flew much better. It was much more stable in the wind and wasn't bouncing around like a yo-yo.

I have another problem to deal with now. On this X3, the rudder is pulling to the left. I tried adjusting the gain on the AR7200BX, put in over 20 points of trim but neither helped. Any ideas? Thanks.

sneezy007

On the hobby wing I think it's gov store. Set your pitch curve to 0° flat then set your throttle curve to 50% flat. Spool it up, once it gets to full head speed wait about 30 seconds then hit throttle cut. Unplug your flight pack then replug it.

In the radio set your pitch curve back to the 0 25 50 75 100. Set your throttle curve to a flat 80% all the way across. Your governor head speed will be what ever throttle curve you set. So if the headspeed seems to fast at 80% then dail it back to 75% flat. Orif it's to slow the kick it up by 5% not to exceed 90%. You will need to leave 10% for the governor to use at the top end.

To figure out your actual headspeed you will either need a tachometer or a gyro that can read the ESC telemetry ouput.

Excellent thank you for the tip Murankar.

Jimbo

I really don't understand all this, but I was told to set my head speeds, in the governor menu for the ESC. They are 2300, 2400, 2600, for a 450.

Jim

murankar

Staff member
If your on the hobby wing then you shouldn't need to set head speeds. The only ESC that I know of that asked for the head speed values is castle.

Hobby wing on gov store uses the throttle output as the head speed. So if you set the throttle for 80% then that's your headspeed. You will need to tac your rotor for actual head speed.

For a 450 class you should be around 3500 head speed.

Jimbo

I was just saying, as I am no expert, as I said and I do have a Castle ESC. I fly scale, not 3D and those head speeds work fine for me. Actually I fly mine at 2400.

Jim

Smoggie

I have another problem to deal with now. On this X3, the rudder is pulling to the left. I tried adjusting the gain on the AR7200BX, put in over 20 points of trim but neither helped. Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you in heading hold mode?.. heading hold should lock the tail pretty much solid. NEVER use trims on the rudder, if you have any trim set then put it back to centre.

If the tail is still wandering when in heading hold mode them most likely you have the mechanical adjustment way out and/or your gain is much too low. You should adjust gain until you just start to get sail shake, then back down to just below that value.

Top Bottom