General Head Speed for different flight modes

bweber

Hey guys and gals. Maybe this was discussed before but could someone please explain what head speed you want for either 3D flight, hover, or maybe just kind of lazy flying working on first forward flight. things of this nature. thank you. for those that need to know how to figure out head speed check out this video by Tony <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KbAHLUw96eM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
I will start this off by saying that motor in the video is pure crap lmao. I ended up just tossing that one in the trash.

Your head speed is going to depend on what size helicopter you are running. But, since most people have a 450 size helicopter, that is what I will talk about.

For general hovering around and some forward flight, something around 2800 is ideal. For when you want to get into some inverted flying and need some punch out capabilities, then run about 3200 rpm. For some pretty good smack 3D, you would want to run about 3500 rpm. Hope this helps.

murankar

Staff member
If your still a beginner those numbers tony gave are ideal.

But if your advanced and know how to set your pitch then it gets a little more complicated. You can fly 3d and sport with lower head speeds but you need to know where your pitch has to be to offset the lower head speed for the same response.

I was running around 2500 and set my pitch to 13° and had about the same pop as i did at 3200 with 11° of pitch. I also had other issues that had to be tuned out.

Basically until you learn the limits of your motor stick with what tony mentioned with 10°to 11° of pitch.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Slobberdog

If your still a beginner those numbers tony gave are ideal.

But if your advanced and know how to set your pitch then it gets a little more complicated. You can fly 3d and sport with lower head speeds but you need to know where your pitch has to be to offset the lower head speed for the same response.

I was running around 2500 and set my pitch to 13° and had about the same pop as i did at 3200 with 11° of pitch. I also had other issues that had to be tuned out.

Basically until you learn the limits of your motor stick with what tony mentioned with 10°to 11° of pitch.

The lower the head speed while doing 3D the more collective management you need to have, bare that in mind,

murankar

Staff member
Yes, 1345 miles on the road and you forget things. For "smack" 3d you will need a higher head speed for the stability and response.

Top Bottom