600 HD CELL 502 BUILD

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hi all i was online one day looking at different helis when i ran across the HD CELL 500. It looked to me like this heli was well constructed, so i decided to dig a little deeper to see what i could find. I found a review on it from helidirect and i really liked what i saw. Wasnt really looking to buy another heli but after what i saw i was like dang i want this heli . So i started looking at prices when i realized the 500 had been discontinued but then up pops a brand new HD CELL 500 on ebay, the guy says he built it but then never could get the nerve to fly it. That just seemed weird to me that you would take all that time to build a heli but then never fly it! i dont know just seems a little off to me. So i kept an eye on it he wanted 850.00 for it ,but it did not sell the price went all the way down to 450.00 before it finally sold or he gave up not sure wich so i thought maybe it wasnt such a good heli but then realized the 500 was discontinued for the upgraded 502 so i looked at it really liked it decided i wanted to give this heli a shot it wasnt for sale yet but you could pre-order it. I ordered it it has finally arrived after two months of waiting ,decided to post the build see what you guys thought and maybe someone else might just like it also. I know i did tell Tony that the quality was comparible to SAB in my opinion and i think he thought i was crazy! but after starting the build i have to say i think i was right so far this thing is tight no play on anything that i have installed so far if something doesnt match up on this its because you have it wrong! I will say i dont like the manual at all its got great pics but explanation on things are off and the manual is actually for the 500 not the 502 and some things have changed on the 502 but like i said i learned quickly that if it doesnt match up it doesnt go on that way. There are also parts in this kit that werent in the 500 kit that is most frustrating and someone new to building might have a tough time. Here are some pics of the build so far!20170413_001412.jpg 20170413_001434.jpg

20170413_001609.jpg

20170413_001709.jpg

20170413_011738.jpg

20170413_013846.jpg

20170416_001012.jpg

20170416_002151.jpg

20170416_025347.jpg

20170416_042214.jpg

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Also i wanted to say that i put this in the 500mm to 600mm because even though this is a 500 its every bit the size of a 550 and close to a 600 its HUGE!!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That looks like it's going to be a sweet bird to fly. Good luck with the rest of the build and keep the pics coming.

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Landing skids assembled and on, tailboom mounts and tailboom on, and part of the tailrotor assembly on, tollerences very tight as well so far you have to compress the other end of the tail rudder asesembly to spread the forks just to get the gear in very tight no play at all im impressed so far!! I think this canopy rocks it fits perfect!!

20170417_160132.jpg

20170417_160138.jpg

20170417_182117.jpg

20170417_182037.jpg

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
I have a question hope somebody can give me a good idea if you look at the front of the heli where the wires come out of the motor just below that is a plate where you mount the ESC , the wires coming out of the ESC are extra long what would be a good way to install the wiring so it looks nice and tidy?

Tony

Staff member
I have a question hope somebody can give me a good idea if you look at the front of the heli where the wires come out of the motor just below that is a plate where you mount the ESC , the wires coming out of the ESC are extra long what would be a good way to install the wiring so it looks nice and tidy?
You could always cut the wires shorter and resolder on the bullets to make it neater.

Smoggie

Nice looking heli! I like the modular drivetrain approach, similar idea to the Goblin.

As for tidying up the wires.. You either have to bundle the extra wire up as neatly as possible, and live with it, or cut the wires. If cutting then as a rule cut the ESC wires, not the motor wires. Most motors have windings made of multiple strands of very fine ('almost hair like') magnet wire and each strand is coated with a very tough insulating lacquer. If you cut those wires then you cant re-solder them because the lacquer prevents soldering. It's difficult to impossible to get the lacquer off, many people have had to scrap motors after cutting the wires.
On the other hand, if the motor is hand wound (as some high end motors are) with a single strand of thick magnet wire it's not so bad because the lacquer can quite easily be scraped off... but do check before considering cutting.

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nice looking heli! I like the modular drivetrain approach, similar idea to the Goblin.

As for tidying up the wires.. You either have to bundle the extra wire up as neatly as possible, and live with it, or cut the wires. If cutting then as a rule cut the ESC wires, not the motor wires. Most motors have windings made of multiple strands of very fine ('almost hair like') magnet wire and each strand is coated with a very tough insulating lacquer. If you cut those wires then you cant re-solder them because the lacquer prevents soldering. It's difficult to impossible to get the lacquer off, many people have had to scrap motors after cutting the wires.
On the other hand, if the motor is hand wound (as some high end motors are) with a single strand of thick magnet wire it's not so bad because the lacquer can quite easily be scraped off... but do check before considering cutting.
Thanks based on that information i think i will just leave the motor wires alone!!

smattext

Goblin 380 Supporter
well im done with the build for the most part i have installed the servos , i went with savox i believe there close to as good a quality as Bk but not as good but there a little less exspensive wich helps my pocket book LOL. The cyclic servos are the 1260 mg High Voltage High torque servos and the tail is the 1267 sg High Voltage, High torque, high speed servo its probably way more than i need but oh well. I also went with the Hobbywing 120A ESC cause i really like Hobbywing! the motor is a Scorpion HKIII-4020 890 kv the receiver is a futaba r7008sb fasstest and last i decided to go with the bavarian demon 3sx flybarless controller it has a rescue feature on it im hoping will work good so i can learn some 3d flying so as soon as i get the flybarless system i can start the setup it should be here monday

20170422_003043.jpg

20170422_003110.jpg

20170422_003136.jpg

20170422_003202.jpg

Top Bottom