450 Happy Labor Day to all

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
I want to provide you with the latest progress report on my Sky Crane. Included are some photos taken this weekend. All top sections of the fuselage are removeable for easy access. The entire main frame with boom can be lifted as a single piece with ease. The rear section of the fuselage will have a sponge like material found in a case to protect items inside. The boom will rest on this with an additional foam layer on top. The battery tray is position forward of the main frame on a velco strip allowing adjustment for CG. I lifted the helicopter and notice Huck Jr had put on some weight:waa: about 6 lbs. That raised an important concerns: First a separate battery system to power the nav lights would add weight not really needed. I could also tap into the existing power source from the receiver. But that would only further drain from the Lipo battery taking power away from the ESC and motor working hard as it is. Being realistic nav lights are nice but might never be out at night flying. An after thought would be to install dummy lights for the same visual showing in the day time. Despite the weigh as noted have no doubt a 5 main head rotor with 325mm carbon fiber blades with the correct pitch and throttle settings can lift off and fly. :twothumbsup: The second issue is a strong yet flexible landing gear is needed to cushion Huck Jr. I have a plan in motion to make a test model of a landing gear. Currently have a light but strong hollow tube that can fit a small wooden dowel. Looking for a small enough spring to go inside. Getting a decent air flow inside the main frame to keep both the ESC and motor cool is no problem since it's open. The dummy twin turbines are made from toilet rolls with tooth picks as bracing. Used a piece of cardboard over the turbines. The foam sheet you see on the nose is what I'll be covering the entire helicopter with. Fran11784 will help me with the setup of a good FBL sooner than expected. To be continued :boldblue:

Attachments

• 20220904_134234_resized_1.jpg
    20220904_134234_resized_1.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220904_134334_resized_1.jpg
    20220904_134334_resized_1.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220904_134702_resized_1.jpg
    20220904_134702_resized_1.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom