General Gyros

philvan

It has been a long time. Have over 100 flights on my trex 450 dominator and only one crash. I did have a question on gyros. I was reading how you liked the Ikon. I have read that others liked the Beastx. From my reading I kinda liked the Spectrum ar7300. What is the difference between all of these gyros? BTW my 3gx seems to be fine, but I don't have enough experience to know the difference.

trainrider06

From my understanding the 7300 is mostly the same as the 7200, except the 7300 handles high voltage.
As far as the IKon and BeastX, the IKon is more tuneable, but you have to plug the system up to change things.
The BeastX you can at the field. Well I think the IKon has field adjusting through Blue tooth or something like that, but I just don't like to fiddle with all that, so I prefer the BeastX.

Tony

Staff member
Rodney has it right. The 7300 is the exact same as the 7200 but can handle and pass through more voltage to the 8.4 volt servos if you have them. If you do not, then look for a 7200BX and save some cash. I'm sure the 7300 has a few other things that are different, but the voltage is the main thing. And if you are into multi rotors, They are coming out with an AR7700BX! This is awesome lmao.

The Ikon is an awesome gyro. As Rodney stated though, you need either a computer to connect it to, or you need a blue tooth adapter and an Android cell phone with bluetooth to program it. But as stated, you can do much more with the Ikon vs the BX.

Both gyros are MUCH BETTER than the 3GX. You are one of the few that has a great working 3GX. And I would not touch it lol.

so it's up to you. If you like a GUI (Graphical User Interface), then get the IKON. If you like just doing things on the gyro it's self, get the BX. You can also connect the BX up to the computer via an additional USB dongle that you can purchase, and make much finer adjustments. As far as I konw though, you can NOT connect it with bluetooth, not that I have found anyway.

murankar

Staff member
What gyro you use is going to be up to you. I am not going to say one is better than the other, it's all relative. What you need to ask is how much control do you want on your tune. If you like to play around with stuff go with the ikon. If you want to set it and forget it go with the 7200 or 7300. If you have a specktrum radio the pot for the 7200bx or the 7300bx.

I have used clones of the beastx and Vbar (similar to the ikon). I personally like the tweaking of the tune. So for me the ikon would be the route I go. If you still don't know then just tell us what it is you want and we will merely suggest what we think would work for you.

Last thing the ikon on stock settings for your heli size will be really close. Not much tuning beyond that.

Lee

All the above are valid points.
One thing not said is the ability to have auto level (or a sort of bailout) in the Ikon.
This is not possible in the BX.

murankar

Staff member
Totally forgot about that, you can tell what I dont fly. I thought it was rumored that the BX was supposed to have some kind of bail out in the works?

I have both the AR7200BX in a 450L Dominator and AR7300BX in a 450 PRO. The AR7300BX will not fit in the 450L Dominator Gyro plate, it has a larger foot print than the AR7200. The AR7300 has a second battery plug for an external battery to power it and was mainly designed for the 500 and up. If I am not mistakne the AR7200 is been replaced by the AR7210BX.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter

philvan

Thanks for all the input. I have a brand new - still in the box Trex 700 HV waiting for me to get good at flying. I have decided to scrap the 3GX right off the bat when I do build it. After reading other post on this sight I am kinda stuck between an IKON and an AR7300bx. In defense of the 3GX on my 450 dominator, it flies very similar to the Real Flight simulator (and thanks a million for that, it's the best advice that I ever got). Maybe it's like Tony says and I got a good 3GX. It is still like trying to balance a marble on a bowling ball :)

murankar

Staff member
Once a Vbar is tuned and trim flight done it basically will stay in one spot. Of course get out of the rotor wash first. The doen side to the trim flight is that you need the numbers for the trims before you land. Without a VControl you wont have those but it will be reeeaaal close. I am sure the iKon and the BEastX are the same way also. Once tuned and setup correctly you can hover hands off.

philvan

Thanks murankar. I definitely can't hover hands off on my 450L with the 3gx, at least not for more than a few seconds. Maybe I should try a new gyro on my present heli.

murankar

Staff member
It's just as good as Vbar, iKon and beastx. It has a level of tuning as the Vbar and ikon. It's the preferred gyro for speed and works just a good for normal flight or 3d. What sets the BD is that it has a different set of features than other gyros. I have heard good and bad about skookum also. Anything with a price tag of 150 and up is going to get you going in the air. The big thing is the price tag, what are you willing to pay. All those gyros will hover hands off to some degree.

Now that your looming at gyros what features are you looking for? So if bail out is a must have feature the stop looking at beastx and consider all the others. Vbar and Vbar neo have bailout if you pay for the software upgrade. So Vbar might be out for you also.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to add governors. Some gyros have them built in and others don't. So if this is something else you want or need let us know.

I know for a fact that if you go with vcontrol and Vbar neo you have no choice but to use a governor. This combination plays very well with castle Phoenix edge secs that have the white aux signal cable. I have on heard that and have not tested the theory.

holtneil

Hi another to add to the mix is the Spirit pro its cheap at £145 it has bail out recovery and also has Stabilisation for scale pilots and beginners here is the full spec I am just fitting it to my Goblin 630
Hardware
Very rigid, CNC milled, anodized and sandblasted enclosure
Color: Aluminium satin
Dimension: 33x32x14mm, weight: 20g
Power supply: 3 - 15V @ 25mA
Operating temperature: -10°C to 60°C
Latest generation, Ultra Fast
32bit ARM processor: 210 DMIPS
MEMS sensor with 9-axis sensor fusion
(rotation to 2000°/s !)
Gold plated PCB with Pb-Free soldering
Integrated S-BUS Inverter
2x native Spektrum connectors
3x connector for power supply, 5x for servos
Additional peripheral support with future updates (GPS, vario, data logger)

Features
Super-smooth flight control
Paddle simulation with inexpressible feeling
Paddle mechanics support
Extreme vibration immunity for all helicopter types
Spectrum analysis for model diagnostics
Flight log with recorded events
Easy configuration with setup wizard
Smartphone or tablet support via Bluetooth
JETI-Control with transmitter integration
Available for Windows, OSX, Linux and Android
Stabilisation for scale pilots and beginners
Reliable, full-featured rescue system
Integrated Bank Switching
Governor for Electric, Nitro and Gasser Helicopters
BEC tester with load verification
Support for PWM, Futaba S-BUS, PPM,
Spektrum DSM2/DSMX, Full JETI Duplex integration,
SRXL/SUMD/UDI/X-Bus receivers
Support for all servo types:
1520/960/760us @ 50 - 560Hz
Support for CCPM 90/120/135/140°

Smoggie

+1 on the Spirit or Spirit pro.. It's a great flying FBL and has all the self leveling and Rescue (including 'acro rescue') features of far more expensive controller. It comes in a swanky alloy case too unlike units costing twice as much that i could mention that come in plastic cases!

The Spirit has some neat recovery options. It adds pitch to climb out and it will do this in upright or inverted (like the BD 3SX does) but it also has an option to climbout inverted then flip upright after a few seconds (user configurable) so that you have the advantage of inverted recovery but still end up in upright orientation.

- - - Updated - - -

As for hovering 'hands-off'... Without 'self leveling' you will never have a heli that hovers hands off without eventually drifting but if well setup you can get a hands-off hover for a little while. Small heliis drift quicker, larger ones will stay planted for a while, a calm day always helps.

You don't need an expensive FBL to do it.. here's my 7HV with a $30 Kbar in it:

I've yet to have a 450 size do the same thing for as long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom