FBL Gyro Gyros that I have used

Tony

Staff member
Hey everyone. I wanted to do a quick post about the gyros that I have used, and let you know a brief summary of them. This is not going to get into depth, but should get you some info if you are looking for them. At a later date, I will do full reviews of each servo (except the GY192, Paul will have to do that) and give specs and flight videos of each. So, lets get to it

GY192
The first gyro up is the GY192. I can't do the full review of this gyro cause I do not have it anymore. But, I can tell you a little about it. The gyro is small, and that is a good thing if you are working with a small aircraft like a 250 sized heli. When I had it, it was installed (and came stock) on the Dynam E-Razor 450. For such a small gyro with very little adjustment, it did pretty well. You do not need to adjust the gain in the Tx, since it's one that has the gain on the gyro. When your helicopter is on, you know it by the bright blue LED that is inside it.

Performance
The performance of this gyro leaves something to be desired. No matter how well you get it setup, it will still drift on you. After all, it is a Piezoelectric gyro. The smallest temp change will cause problems with this gyro. But, the lack of limit adjustments means you either have to adjust it in your Tx, or put the ball closer in on the servo arm to limit travel. And, the lack of reverse on the gyro means that if you don't have it setup correctly, you have to tear it away from the tape, put on new tape, and install it upside down. This is just a pain to me lol.

Conclusion
I will probably never actually purchase this gyro for use on any aircraft. It did it's job on the Razor, I learned on it, so it has to have some value. But, if you are looking for a good cheap gyro, read on.

GY48V
This is a gyro that I was told to get early into my flying days. I was told that it held a lot better than the 192, and I guess it does to a point. I am still using this gyro on my HK450GT, and with some setup, you can get the tail locked in pretty well. But, there will always be a little drift to it. It's more like a weather vein effect when you are going sideways like the old rate gyros used to do. But, for $12 you can't beat it. And, pair it with a digital servo, and you will get a tail that is pretty good. But, this is still a Piezoelectric gyro, so you have to let it acclimate to the outside temp before you fly. This gyro does have delay, limit, digital and reverse functions on it. But, you have to adjust the gain in the Tx. I have no problem with this as this is how the more expensive gyros are setup.

Performance
Like the 192, this one leaves something to be desired. But, for the cost, and what you get, it's worth it. I would suggest it to anyone wanting to do a budget build. The case is heavy on this gyro though, so it will add a little more weight to your heli over the 192, or any of the align gyros. But, shouldn't be enough to tell a difference. The size of the gyro limits you as well. I wouldn't even try to put this on a 250 sized heli. In a hover, the tail will want to drift on you. It's not real bad if you have it setup correctly, but it's bad enough to annoy those that are learning. But, again for $12, you can't really complain. In forward flight, this is a great gyro. You tell the tail where to go, and it goes there and stays. I am not a 3D pilot, so I have no clue how it would do there. But I have seen videos that proves it will do mild to slightly heavy 3D.

Conclusion
If you are looking for a really good gyro for a cheap price, you can't beat this one. But, as of late, I have found a new gyro that I think is going to take this one over. But, you have to order from China, so it will take a while to get here (the other one). So, if you want it fast, then get this gyro. Very well worth the money.

Assan GA-250
What can I say, this gyro has impressed me in every aspect. It's small, small enough to put on a 250, but holds really well (solid) on my HK600GT. Yes, I'm running this gyro on my 600. I'm also running it on my 250. The setup of this gyro can be confusing, and the print on the instructions is quite small. You also have to tell the gyro how many Hz your servo is. Oh, and did I mention you can only use this gyro with DIGITAL servos? Yup, time to fork out a little money. But wait, I'm using this gyro with a $7 digital servo. And it's working great on the 250. The program mode on this can be confusing at first, but once you have done it, and put all the correct info in, it will become second nature to you.

Performance
What can I say, this thing is SOLID. And for $10 ($13 with shipping), you can't go wrong with this thing. I ordered two just in case one was bad. Well, they both work, and I'm using them both. One is on a micro 250 and it's solid. The other is on the 600, and it's solid. Now, I have to run my gains pretty low on this gyro. But, that doesn't seem to affect it at all. If you run it too high, you will get a horrible tail wag out of it. And, with a high speed digital tail servo, that wag can get bad lol. But, get it setup, and the tail will stay locked on all day long. I did have a slight problem with a slow wag on the 250, but that ended up being the wrong servo setting in the gyro. I have done light 3D with this gyro, and it was perfect. FF is perfect. So, if you don't' mind waiting for a bit, get this gyro. Like said before, I will be ordering this gyro for all of my helicopters.

You may have noticed that I didn't put the 401B in here. Well, I have two reasons for that. One, the short amount of time I had it, I had nothing but problems. I had one on the 500, and one on the 600, both had tail problems. The servo would just set there and shake when the heli was sitting on the ground, and nothing moving. So, I took them off and never flew with them. I have heard that they do not like digital servos, but I thought it was worth a shot for the cost. But, honestly I would rather get the GA-250, or if you want to run an analog servo such as the MG90S, get the GY48V. I will NEVER purchase the 401B again.

So, all in all, my highest rank has to go to the GA250. This gyro does it all in my book. Now, I'm sure that it doesn't' even come close to the Align setup for the tail, but $10 vs $150, yeah I thought so lol. So, if you are looking for a great servo, get the Assan and get a good digital servo that will give you the Hz specs.

MD530F

hi again tony, as you know my 401b was DOA and my GA250 is now on its way, what rates were you running it at? should i start at about the same for my 450gt with the dx6i? thanks

zapster

I believe Tony would set the rate mode at 30 and head hold start at 65 and see how your tail reacts,if it drifts side to side increase to 67.5 and so on,if it wags quickly say 2-4 inches reduce the number but with the GA250 65-68 your tail should be pretty rock solid.Tony has helped me set up my 250,450 and 500 just do not plug your servo into the GA250 until you have all the correct light flashes telling you its set up for your tail servo.

murankar

Staff member
Now I have yet to use the ga-250 yet, but it is on the way. I had the hardest time finding the assan brand. When I did, I bought it. Now the cheapest I found this gyro was for around $19 (out of stock at the time of purchase). I ended up getting mine from ebay for $23 (buy it now) with free shipping. I can't wait to see how this thing is going to handle with the Align DS520 servo. I managed to find the servo for about $35 at hobbies4life.com. With the rest of the order and shipping it was about $41. Not to bad for shopping around. On a side note hobbies4life.com is limited in product selection but customer service was spot on. Had to make an adjustment on my order and they replied instantly the next business day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom