General Gyro

Capn Pete

If you turn up the gain on the gyro, does it make it easier or harder to fly? My Master CP came in box with all set at about 50%.

Tony

Staff member
Gain doesn't make it easier or harder. Well, I guess it can make it a lot harder if it is too high or too low. Gain is there to stabilize the helicopter and keep the 3 axis from hunting or oscillating.

Capn Pete

Gain doesn't make it easier or harder. Well, I guess it can make it a lot harder if it is too high or too low. Gain is there to stabilize the helicopter and keep the 3 axis from hunting or oscillating.
So I'm guessing elevator, aileron, et. al. should all be set the same (in most circumstances) at or about 50%?

Tony

Staff member
That is correct in most cases. Sometimes you will need to add a little more to one or the other. The way you set these up is keep increasing them until you get oscillations and then back them down a little bit. If you fly hard, you can get a little more precise on how you set these. But if you are just a casual FF kind of person (like me lol), then there is a very broad range you can hit and be just fine.

Capn Pete

That is correct in most cases. Sometimes you will need to add a little more to one or the other. The way you set these up is keep increasing them until you get oscillations and then back them down a little bit. If you fly hard, you can get a little more precise on how you set these. But if you are just a casual FF kind of person (like me lol), then there is a very broad range you can hit and be just fine.
Cool beans. thanks.

murankar

Staff member
If your elevator and aileron are separate they will be close. Your tail will be a completely different value.

The gains will give the heli a more crisp feel if it's high and a loose feeling when it's low.

Smoggie

General rule is to set the gains as high as possible without causing oscillation. As Uri said, aileron and elevator values would usually be the same or very close but rudder could be very different.

If you have the gains too low the heli will feel 'loose' and wont hold it's orientation very well, for instance the tail would wander left or right. If you go too high you start to get oscillation/shaking as the gyro over-compensates.

The heli is easiest to fly when the gains are 'just right', neither too high or too low.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Different FBL units have different ways to adjust the main head gain and feel. Just focus on the gains and how the heli reacts. One thing pilots do is to refer to elevator and aileron gains as the head gain collectively. VBar has a single head gain parameter. I don't know about the others and how they are set up. So if you hear anything regarding head gain that's what is being discussed.

A way to check the main head gain is to set it high hover and jab the elevator and aileron. Then let the stick almost bounce back to center. Quick and deliberate inputs. If the heli has no adverse effects then pitch pump as aggressive as you can. If you still do not have any adverse effects then adjust the gain(s) higher and repeat.

When adjusting your gains make 10 to 15 point changes to get roughed in. Once you hit the ceiling of your gains reduce by 1 to 5 points. Remember all you want is just enough gain to keep you out of the shakes and wobbles range.

Top Bottom