FBL Gyro Gyro mounting?

Wolfman

Ok I am building a 450 clone and having problems finding a place to mount my gyro. I thought I had heard someone was making a filler for the top of the tail mount to be able to mount gyro on top. Any ideas will be considered, before you start I know everyone dislikes the clones, but for starting out and learning to fly on, why spend $500. when you can build a clone for $150. It may not be the best but it should still fly.

RandyDSC01060.JPG

DSC01060.JPG

Westy

LEGEND
hey Wolfman!....

can you mount it underneath the heli under one of the trays? or on the bottom frame? I mounted it underneath near the back of the heli. What ever you do ... make sure you mount it perpendicular L to the main shaft.

Note: if you do mount it underneath, you need to take particular attention when setting up the Gyro Direction (DIR TOGGLE SWITCH) - Refer to Lees gyro set up guide in the help section.

Hope this helps.

murankar

Staff member
I think the plate below your tail box is the mount for the gyro. I would double check just to make sure. This looks like a sport version.

Westy

LEGEND
Looks a bit like my first Sport V3 Clone I got from LEader hobby .... but that is a snippet of the frame I can see :)

Where ever it is mounted .... access is needed for the adjustment of the Pots (If using a Peizo type).... not as critical with a mems one .... like the AS 250 mems gyro. as you use the Rat and HH mode setting on the radio to toggle in and out of setup mode.

Last edited:

wolfman76

from the looks of it you don't want to put anything on top of the tailbox like a epoxy or anything like tht to fill it in to make it flat there if you do you might not be able to take it apart again in event of a crash to make repairs like replacing a tail boom or belt or gears trust me you will crash several times... i have to agree with murankar on the plate below the tail box for a mounting position... OH AND WELCOME TO THE RC-HELP FAMILY ENJOY YOUR STAY!!! by the way mor pics and a video of the maiden we would love to see more we live for that stuff...

Wolfman

Thanks guys for the input I think under the tail mount is probably going have to be the place. The shelf under that is so short I doubt I could keep it on there.
The battery tray on the front is short as well, about half the length of the battery and that is making it rough to mount the ESC, but I think that one will work.
I had this one together once and pulled a rookie misflicker and shut the transmitter off first, with the motor plugged in! New main rotor head assembly and tail set, CNC Aluminum this time, upgrades I was planning, just not that soon. All I can say for that one is now I Know what happens if you do that, with my finger healed up enough to start using it again I am back to rebuilding.
Thanks again
Randy

Westy

LEGEND
you can go under the main frame ..... where the landing gear bolts too ..... easy access..... easy fix

Lee

Thanks guys for the input I think under the tail mount is probably going have to be the place. The shelf under that is so short I doubt I could keep it on there.
The battery tray on the front is short as well, about half the length of the battery and that is making it rough to mount the ESC, but I think that one will work.
I had this one together once and pulled a rookie misflicker and shut the transmitter off first, with the motor plugged in! New main rotor head assembly and tail set, CNC Aluminum this time, upgrades I was planning, just not that soon. All I can say for that one is now I Know what happens if you do that, with my finger healed up enough to start using it again I am back to rebuilding.
Thanks again
Randy

Randy,
If you turn the TX off, you fail safe setting should be 0 throttle. What radio are you using. When binding the radio to the receiver, set all switches and sticks to the position you would like the helicopter to see if you lose signal, one of which is throttle stick all the way down. Then if you accidentally switch off the TX it will just kill the power.

Wolfman

Randy,
If you turn the TX off, you fail safe setting should be 0 throttle. What radio are you using. When binding the radio to the receiver, set all switches and sticks to the position you would like the helicopter to see if you lose signal, one of which is throttle stick all the way down. Then if you accidentally switch off the TX it will just kill the power.
Lee I am using a dx6i spectrum radio and the the ar6210 with the satelite reciever. I kinda thought that it should have done like you said, but it had a mind of its own. I think I will rebind it, just to double check. In my denfense I have heard to shut the heli off first, but no one ever said WHY, now I know if not the heli goes nuts and Will eat you up! I believe it is Mode 2 the throttle is on the left.
My gyro which is a Detrum GY48V is probably not going to be a good choice as it is not head holding is so thick that mounting it under the tail is going to make it awful tight on room for the receiver. I dropped the back shelf clear down and it doesn't look like there is going to be any clearance if I have to get at it.
I had to mount the ESC under the main gear to have wires enough for both the battery and motor.
Thanks again Gentlemen for your input.
Randy

Top Bottom