450 Ground test didn't go well

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Morning everyone, yesterday fran11784 and I did a spool up that didn't measure up. As Hulk Jr was reviving up, we notice the main rotor head was wobbly at about 50%. Quickly powered down to take a closer look. We didn't see any thing out of the ordinary but the mainframe was a little loose inside the frame, easy fix. Then attempted again to spool up nothing, the servos were doing what they're suppose to do. But still no spool up, it was then fran reached out and touch the ESC. It was warm if not hot. Hmm:suspicion: could it be the ESC can't handle the task at hand? I got it on ebay unbrand name from where you know where:sour:. Last year at this time thought it was a good move. :banghead: Now granted We're asking it to handle a (5) 360mm blade setup, drawing power from (2) 2200mah 50c lipo batteries to also support a Spirit FBL. And can it also provide enough energy to lift a 7+ lb heli that's 931mm or 38" long? Fran pulled out his handy dandy cell phone to look up what kind of ESC we should be using. The Talon 60 looks like a winner, it seems to meet our needs. So the moral to this adventure order good parts:shame: We have way too much time, energy and money invested to mess this up. Lucky this didn't happen while in the air, I would have lost it that's for sure. Ever seen a 74 year old thrown a tantrum fit on the ground? :bellyroll::chairshot::dizzy::upset:. Well anyway fran did manage to get a short 22 second video and will forward to our honorary video manager D.O.G. also a member of the team for his review. We're making progress slowly and will keep you informed. Best regards, Jim

buel williams

Morning everyone, yesterday fran11784 and I did a spool up that didn't measure up. As Hulk Jr was reviving up, we notice the main rotor head was wobbly at about 50%. Quickly powered down to take a closer look. We didn't see any thing out of the ordinary but the mainframe was a little loose inside the frame, easy fix. Then attempted again to spool up nothing, the servos were doing what they're suppose to do. But still no spool up, it was then fran reached out and touch the ESC. It was warm if not hot. Hmm:suspicion: could it be the ESC can't handle the task at hand? I got it on ebay unbrand name from where you know where:sour:. Last year at this time thought it was a good move. :banghead: Now granted We're asking it to handle a (5) 360mm blade setup, drawing power from (2) 2200mah 50c lipo batteries to also support a Spirit FBL. And can it also provide enough energy to lift a 7+ lb heli that's 931mm or 38" long? Fran pulled out his handy dandy cell phone to look up what kind of ESC we should be using. The Talon 60 looks like a winner, it seems to meet our needs. So the moral to this adventure order good parts:shame: We have way too much time, energy and money invested to mess this up. Lucky this didn't happen while in the air, I would have lost it that's for sure. Ever seen a 74 year old thrown a tantrum fit on the ground? :bellyroll::chairshot::dizzy::upset:. Well anyway fran did manage to get a short 22 second video and will forward to our honorary video manager D.O.G. also a member of the team for his review. We're making progress slowly and will keep you informed. Best regards, Jim
hey there Jim sorry test did't go well. hope new esc works and wobble goes away, I'am in your corner my friend.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
I appreciate that bro and will order the Talon 60 this week based on fran's recommendation :beerchug: . And D.O.G. received and reviewed the video sent.

murankar

Staff member
Always buy once cry once in this hobby. I stopped buying affordable back 2013 when i got my Protos and X3. Spent more money buy a lot of cheap stuff instead of less money on expensive stuff.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
Hi everyone, well we about got Hulk Jr. ready for his test. The thing now stopping us is the weather. Wind gust up to 25+mph this week and predicting even higher with a rainy weekend possible Northeasterner. As you can see Fran and I made a beefed test stand with training gear. The wooden box out front holds (2) 3 cell 2200mah 50c lipo batteries, same one for the fuselage. The new Talon 60 ESC is installed. The weight from the wooden test stand should nearly match that of the fully loaded fuselage. All Fran needs to do left is program the ESC's governor and we're set. Can't think of anything else needed at this time. Once we establish a successful hover, then reinstall in Hulk's Jr. fuselage for a series of short test flights leading to a good one of 5 minutes or more:semi-twins:.

Attachments

• 20230525_084645_resized_1.jpg
    20230525_084645_resized_1.jpg
    332.7 KB · Views: 4

murankar

Staff member
I used to have a test stand myself. I have no clue what happened to it. Mine was patterned off the older guy on youtube. He was a Marine at one point and a tone of helicopters. He even made his own flloats for water. He lost his collection in a fire i beleive. I Think Tony might remmebr who it was.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hi everyone, well we about got Hulk Jr. ready for his test. The thing now stopping us is the weather. Wind gust up to 25+mph this week and predicting even higher with a rainy weekend possible Northeasterner. As you can see Fran and I made a beefed test stand with training gear. The wooden box out front holds (2) 3 cell 2200mah 50c lipo batteries, same one for the fuselage. The new Talon 60 ESC is installed. The weight from the wooden test stand should nearly match that of the fully loaded fuselage. All Fran needs to do left is program the ESC's governor and we're set. Can't think of anything else needed at this time. Once we establish a successful hover, then reinstall in Hulk's Jr. fuselage for a series of short test flights leading to a good one of 5 minutes or more:semi-twins:.
Can't wait for the next test hover :drool:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
He lost his collection in a fire i beleive.
If I'm correct he lost his house too. Because of that reason, I won't charge my batteries in the house anymore since I had a lipo fire in the house... scary even being right there when it happen. I use my mother-in-law's stand-up shower for my charging area. It's all tile nothing to burn...just in case.

James M. Lewis

Armed Forces
If I'm correct he lost his house too. Because of that reason, I won't charge my batteries in the house anymore since I had a lipo fire in the house... scary even being right there when it happen. I use my mother-in-law's stand-up shower for my charging area. It's all tile nothing to burn...just in case.
When I charge my batteries won't let them out of my sight.

Top Bottom