Great TRex 500 Flight that ended badly

Ken Jackson

Speaks for itself. Is anyone on this site anymore?? I hope some video post start popping in here it is getting warmer out...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That was some nice flying Ken Jackson. Sorry to see the end result. You got pretty close to getting a hair cut.

Ken Jackson

Yeah that was as close as I've ever come, I couldn't get turned around fast enough. It almost seemed like it didn't flip right. There was an elevator glitch on my first flight but I probably just didn't execute.

Parts on order already. Upgrading to coreless metal gear servos...

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Good man. Parts on order already. What cordless metal gear servo are you looking at for your 500? I'm a KST servo flyer for my birds.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, she went in pretty hard. Great flight up to that point though. And yes, I have been victim to a bad servo/linkage myself. It really sucks.

Smoggie

You said it... nasty crash! Looked like a 'dumb thumb' to me, we all do it occasionally. Hope she's back up and flying soon.

Ken Jackson

Yea, she went in pretty hard. Great flight up to that point though. And yes, I have been victim to a bad servo/linkage myself. It really sucks.
Hard to say for sure, looked like pilot error. I ordered new servos, those had been rebuilt several times.

Westy

LEGEND
good flight .... what FBL unit are you running.... If you had an Ikon (V2 Firmware patched) you could have bailed out of that ... even better a Bavarian Demon 3SX for full inverted rescue

Ken Jackson

good flight .... what FBL unit are you running.... If you had an Ikon (V2 Firmware patched) you could have bailed out of that ... even better a Bavarian Demon 3SX for full inverted rescue

DFC head, my Ikon is probably version one, had it for a while. That happened I doubt I would have had time to bail out, lol

Ken Jackson

I'll have to check the version. I bought new coreless servos, so I'll be getting into set up for sure.

Didn't know you could upgrade to a bailout mode. I'm guessing mine is 4 years old, hmmm

Good to here from you been a long time

Ken Jackson

Good man. Parts on order already. What cordless metal gear servo are you looking at for your 500? I'm a KST servo flyer for my birds.

I went with Align DS510M. I just put new align motor and ESC, 4 flights before that crash.

No skid or frame damage. Tail and boom OK, took some teeth off tail rotor gears, gonna replace the front gear set just cause it's pretty old.

Main gear and anti rotation gear are fine.

What's up with helicopter blades, they seem to be getting scarce, at least AMain. Found a pair of Mavrikk 430mm G5 Pro Wide Cord. I had some of them 4-5 years ago but couldn't find them. Excellent blades. Awesome blade farts, lol..

Ken Jackson

Well Rchobbiesandmore contacted me to say the Mavrikk blades are not available. They offered a pair of Curtiss Youngblood Radix blades for the same price. I originally started out looking for Radix but couldn't find any in the 430 mm range.

My second choice was the Rail 426 but couldn't find them either. The site you listed has the rail blades at a pretty good price. I'll keep that in mind for the future, thanks.

The Mavrikk blades are awesome but I'd have to put them third on my list
Radix
Rail
Mavrikk

Ken Jackson

Hey Tony!

I have looked at Zeal blades but never researched them, guess I should look at 'Blades' on the forum, lol.

The price has kept me away from them. If you compare prices over all they are teetering on low end. So they are either a good quality brand trying to get their name out there or they are decent cheap blades.

I'm thinking decent. I bought decent (cheaper) blades the first three years I was learning, but I prefer good quality blades in my later years. Not that I'm a great pilot but they feel different. If you've ever come close to the ground and had to crank it to pull up, you know the cheap blades don't respond the same.

You can't go wrong with Curtiss Youngblood Radix. The Rail blades perform very well. The Mavrikk G5 Pro Wide Cord is an excellent blade I'd put in this category but they've been hard to find, and may be still.

There are lots of no name blades on EBay and the general market that are the same price. The Mavrikk Sport blades were good sport flying blades, but on the lower price range.

I won't buy Align blades ever again and most of what I see is the 'Blue' line and they were the cheaper ones.

Anyway I'm open to others opinions... I'm hoping to get at least 2 seasons in on the pair I just bought. The Rails lasted a couple of seasons and have the longest time on my heli as any others. Of course I've never heard of anyone crashing because of their blades, lol.

Tony

Staff member
If you ask Geena, she will tell you all about Zeal blades. She is sponsored by them and swears by those blades. So much so that I'm thinking about getting them when I need a new set.

Tony

Staff member
For some, like Alan Szabo Jr. and Align, they are quite bias. But from Geena, I get from her pretty much what I am, I'm going to tell it to everyone straight regardless because if I lose a vendor or sponsor, it's no big deal. Alan is employed by Align so if he says something bad it could cost him his job.

But like I said, I'm really thinking about trying them. On HeliDirect, they have A class and B class blades. From what I have heard, the B class which are a little cheaper just have some dust specs in them rather than being flawless.

And I have been trying to get her to send me a set lmao. She keeps shooting me down hahahaha.

Top Bottom