FBL Gyro Governor or no governor

Can someone explain what a governor is used for in a 3 axis gyro, I'm in the process of buying a new fbl gyro and there are ones with and without a governor.

Does it require a special ESC or receiver. I'm using a dx6i with an AR6200 RX with single satellite in my new heli build

Slobberdog

The governor ensures a constant motor rpm, you will need a sensor to use it, but not really required until you get up to 550 size and above,

Slobberdog

I would still buy the blue Koala, as they might just get the new software out when Mikado does, tbh I wish I had got the blue unit in the first place,

Lee

As Kev said Tony,
The gov controls the motor RPM, either through the ESC or the FBL unit.
My Warp is running through the ESC and the Goblin through the Ikon.
With the FBL Gov you need the separate sensor to tell the unit what the motor is spinning at.
My Castle Creations Edge ESC has an internal Gov, but I prefer the Ikon Gov.
Luckily the Edge also has an aux wire the give the RPM to the Ikon.

I prefer the Ikon to have control of the RPM, because it can predict motor rpm changes, before they happen.
As I change collective or cyclic on the heli, this is obviously going through the Ikon, so it knows pre-emtively, to make an adjustment to the motor power.

Gov really don't have much benefit in a 450. Throttle curves in the radio, work better.

Derek

Although the Castle ESC, on my 450 has "Governor Mode" and the Align ESC has "Governor Mode" on my 500, I don't use it on either helicopter. I am using the Governor on my Castle ESC on my 600.

I could be wrong with this next part but I dont think that the Governor is entirely necessary unless you are doing SMACK flying and you'd need a constant headspeed to be maintained. If you are just learning or doing gentle flying, I think that the tx flight curves are quite good enough. I have only recently introduced myself to 3D flying and it's "mild" at best. My 450 and 500 seem to handle my flying style just fine. I am using the Governor on my 600 because it's a larger helicopter with more weight and also because it's something new for me to learn.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'm pleased I asked now. I've a much better understanding of the governor and why it's there. If I ever get a bigger heli then I'll certainly be thinking of one of those..

The sensor that picks up the rotor speed, is this something you can buy separately?

Thanks guys

Lee

Yep here it is.
9102.jpg

murankar

Staff member
450 and 500 really don't need a governor. Beginner to sport flying are not doing enough to affect your head speed much. Plus the gov will add other negative tendencies that are hard to tune out.

Save it for a bigger heli.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Top Bottom