General Governor Mode - need some explanation

Derek

I'm not concerned with running the Governor on my 450 nor my 500 but I was curious about running it on my Trex 600, if for no other reason than it would be something new to learn. Currently, I've disabled the Gov Mode and I'm running fixed endpoints and the helicopter seems to be very rock solid. So, as it stands, "since it's not broke, I'm not going to fix it". I don't fly any hard 3D. In fact, my 3D is actually very limited...mostly out of fear, lol. I love the sport flying, fast and slow passes, loops, rolls, pitch pumps....the simple stuff.

I got talking to a guy at my LHS today and he said that Gov mode is over rated and really only needed if you are executing tail slides. I listened to him, remembering that he is entitled to his opinion and that's how I took it. I was under the impression that Gov mode would be advantageous when you are flying SMACK maneuvers because, while giving hard collective inputs, the headspeed wouldn't drop as much, therefore giving you an outstanding flight "performance". Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps I'm close and just not seeing the whole picture.

For those of you that do have your Governor enabled, can you explain to me "Why?" The guy at my LHS told me that my 600 was designed to run higher headspeeds, than Gov mode can offer, and I'd be better off with the Fixed Endpoints. I have no problem staying with fixed endpoints, because like I said, my 600 is rock solid now, but "why" would I be better off with Fixed Endpoints vs Gov mode?

Thanks guys!

pvolcko

Why? Because it helps maintain headspeed under highly variable load, particularly cyclic loads. Flat curve will drop headspeed and recover more slowly. V-curve will drop less (for collective dominated loads) but potentially recover more slowly. Governors are dynamically reactive to load, no matter the load. If the governor is in the fbl unit then the governor gets the benefit of reaction to load (unexpected rpm drifts) as well as figuring in cyclic, collective and tail pitch changes to more proactively adjust power to the motor.

Governors have the potential to maintain headspeed better than any fixed curve or mixing setup. But they are not fool proof. Far from it. And some are better than others.

Derek

Ok, I think I understand all that, Paul. Thanks!

Now, for my particular flying (sport flying and very mild 3D), would the Gov Mode be a "necessity"? If so, then I'll need to work on the Ikon programming so that the tail won't kick to the right under load.

stokke

You will often get better flight time with governor engaged, but this applies more to smack flying.

pvolcko

Longer flight time is a function of the governor backing off the motor throttle much further than a flat or v-curve would and only cranking throttle up when load demand requires it.

Derek, will governor help you and your flight style? It will probably help you get a bit longer flight time. For instance on pitch pumps:

- Gov: Maybe your positive pitch phase only requires 90% throttle to maintain the headspeed you want after a short full thottle bump, so it will dial throttle back as load changes throughout the climb, maintaining a more or less fixed climb rate.
- Flat curve of 92%: MAintains headspeed in a hover, but on positive pitch it falls significantly and recovers slowly as the heli builds momentum through the ascent, heli gains climb rate as recovery occurs and then plateaus.
- v-curve up to 100%: Headspeed doesn't drop siginificantly, similar to governor, but as load reduces through the climb the throttle is maintained at 100%, wasting power as it climbs headspeed over target and generates variable climb rate, plateauing as headspeed stabilizes under full power.

And on the negative pump:
- Gov: Iniital high load, but then load reduces a lot and gov dials back throttle to 50%, just enough to maintain headspeed.
- Flat curve: Headspeed dips initially, but quickly recovers and then starts overspeeding through the descent, wasting power and depending on how high overspeed it goes potentially leading to a mechanical failure.
- v-curve: Headpeed doesn't dip much at all, just like governor mode, but then runs at 100% throttle through the descent, significantly overspeeding the head.

On big air loops you'll see similar behaviors, htough less stark due to the variable collective stick positioning through the maneuver. Rolls won't be affected much either way.

Derek

OK. Got it! Sounds to me like I'm going to be learning how to adjust the Gov Mode so that it works properly. Matthias has said, before, that the tail of my helicopter needs to be dialed in with the Gov disabled. No problems there! I'll post the link to my latest flight video below. Paul, you have already seen it and you gave me a "Nice flight!" :twothumbsup:

Since we know that the tail is quite solid, I'll move on with the Gov Mode venture. I've been using the Gov Mode in the Castle 80HV. I do have a Hobbywing RPM sensor so I can use the Gov Mode in the Ikon. Since I'm getting a right-wards tail kick, when giving hard positive collective, maybe I'll try the Gov Mode in the Ikon.

Here's the link to the latest flight video and I think you'll agree that the tail is quite solid.

http://www.rc-help.com/showthread.php/13521-Derek-s-Trex-600-flight-flip-and-loop

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
I have found the Align Gov Mode Sucks! ..... But may have been the ESC stuffed..... but I run the Gobby in Gov mode and it is smooth as butter under all loading conditions.

danhampson

I found that the gov helps me while learning as you are always getting a constant H/S rather than the really fast h/s while the pack is fresh on and then slowing as the flight continues. Running the gov gave me more confidence because the is no change in the tone of the motor though out the flight. You just have to be sure to keep an eye on your timer.

Derek

I found that the gov helps me while learning as you are always getting a constant H/S rather than the really fast h/s while the pack is fresh on and then slowing as the flight continues. Running the gov gave me more confidence because the is no change in the tone of the motor though out the flight. You just have to be sure to keep an eye on your timer.

Makes sense to me, Dan! Thanks for posting that!

Top Bottom