500 Gov. set up

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey everyone, I'm setting up my 500 this evening. I have a yep 80a esc and I'm not sure what to set the gov to. I have both my 450 and X3 with the gov. off and free wheel off. Is it alright to set it up like the other two or should the gov be set to store? I appreciate the help.

trainrider06

Hey D.O.G. Neil knows a lot about gov setups, I think it is to be set at gov store. I haven't set anything up with gov mode but he swears by it! I plan to get my 450FB a chance at gov flying once I dial it in..

holtneil

Hi mate you want active free wheeling on this help with flight times as the motor is only power when its needed , I will post my setting for a 500 pro they will be about the same for yours , its what I did for a friend so you may not need to worry about the BEc part
Yep programming:

· Plug ESC Rx wire into to connector marked ESC on the programming card, signal wire to the left. With the internal BEC being disconnected you will have to either put the removed red pin back in the plug or hook up a 5-6V separate power source into the ‘Rx’ connection, or use the supplied wire from the throttle output on the actual Rx.

· Power up the ESC (blades/pinion removed)

· Lights should come on the programming card and ESC /motor beeps.

· Fold the flap down so you see the first ‘’screen’ starting with timing. There are three buttons on the card the two one the left move the selection down a row or to the right a row. The button bottom left is the ‘enter’ button.

· On the Timing row move across to 18Deg and pres ‘enter. ESC/motor should beep.

· Go down to brake and scroll to ‘off’ hit enter and get the beep.

· Cut off type - ‘slow down’ (enter –beep), LiPo (enter –beep)

· Cut Off Voltage – 3.0 (enter –beep)

· Cells – 6 (enter –beep)

· Don’t bother with special function

That’s it for the first screen, fold the flap backward to show the second screen. Press both left hand buttons together and the LED should now flash indicating that the second screen is active.

· Act, Freewheel set to ‘On’ (enter –beep) on same line Gov. Mode set to ‘Gov store’ (enter –beep)

· P-gain and I-gain should be ok at default values

· Startup speed – heli middle (adjust later if it’s too fast or slow) (enter –beep)

· PWM Frequency – 16KHz (other values are fine too) (enter –beep)

· Startup power - Auto (enter –beep)

Don’t forget to hit enter to set each value.

So that’s the ESC programmed and next time it starts up you need to set ‘governor store’ so remove the blades and have the battery charged to 4.0-4.1v per cell.

It’s vital to calibrate the throttle before setting gov-store. To do this set hold mode to zero throttle and one of your idle-up throttle curves to 100%. Power up the heli in idle-up 100% throttle. The ESC should start beeping. Hit throttle hold (0% throttle) and the ESC should omit its arming tone indicating that throttle is calibrated. The ESC should now omit a beep every few seconds indicating that it’s ready for governor store to be set.

Next switch out of throttle hold back to 100% throttle. The heli should spool up (blades off obviously) and the motor will run up to full speed. Once stable at full RPM the motor should hesitate slightly and the LED on the ESC should go off indicating that Gov store is set. Hit throttle hold. If the beep every few seconds has stopped then gov store has worked. If it still beeps have another go. If you are still struggling try it with the pinion off to make the revs more stable.

Once Gov Store is set adjust your 100% throttle curve back down to how you like it for flying and you are good to go.

Give me a shout if stuck.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey holtneil. Trainrider06 mention that your the man for Gov. settings. Now that's what I'm talking about when It comes to helpful information holtneil. I thank you much for your post. I will shout out if I get stuck. Thanks again! :)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Nice flying bird their holtneil. As soon as my parts come in, I'll post video of my second flight. The first flight wasn't good. Everything went fine til the belt broke and down she came. This is my first 500 and got the chance to enjoy her for about two minutes but mannnn what a difference from the 450 and even my X3. The power and handling is awesome. Cant wait to get her back in the air. Another two weeks probably but til then I will enjoy the 450 and the X3. Keep pics and video coming.

holtneil

Hi its amazing how much more stable the 500 are I use Kbar on both of mine , The Goblin 630 comp is having the New Spirit pro fitted its a really nice unit recovery is out of this world and it only costs £116, for the Pro
Free firmware updates for life too, My mate pre ordered months back he got it the other day fitted it to the Goblin and on default settings is locked in , so this will be a great unit if any one is looking
new Spirit Pro FBL System, Rescue Mode, Compass 550 Ultimate - YouTube

Last edited:
Top Bottom